Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
This year we gave Goa a miss and decided on Thailand. One of our ports of call Was Krabi, not too touristy but with plenty to do. We found Thailand to be cheaper than Goa, with a better class of hotels, with exceptional service, especially in Bangkok. Go on give it a go I am sure you will not be disappointed. :sun2
as long as you go to a minimum 4* hotel you can't go wrong. Phuket, Koh Samuui, Krabi,Hua Hin-all lovely. Be aware though that all areas in Thailand have a 'red light' section and can become very seedy late at night in all bars. Many single middle aged men living the dream. Karon Beach and Kata in Phuket are nice with lots of lovely restaurants and beaches. Go, you won't regret it. Check out the areas though as they all have different rainy seasons. Visit the Floating Market and the Bridge over the river Quay, north of Bankok. Enjoy. :tup
Bangkok is like London on crack, it absolutely buzzes 24hrs a day, never a dull moment, so much to do, see and cram in, though after 3/4 days you might be ready for some R+R.
Puket and Pattaya for me, a bit too sleazy. Krabi, just a nice mix and a good place for visiting the islands of Phi Phi, Poda, Hong and a dozen more.
The beach at Krabi is not much of a "sunbathing" beach, more of a working beach where you book Longtails and speedboats to nearby islands with great coral beaches and superb snorkelling.
As above post, give it a go, dont think you will be disappointed.
To be honest even most Thai two and three stars are of a high standard...well better than their Med equivalents. Phuket is not sleazy if you go to some of the quieter resorts and it has some of the best beaches. As mentioned Krabi is a great area for island and beach hopping, although I find Ao Nang a bit too built up for my taste. Khao Lak was a nice area but I have only visited pre-tsunami so am unsure as to what its like now...did see an offer of £655 for 10 nights to the Sarojin yesterday so some bargains to be had.
did see an offer of £655 for 10 nights to the Sarojin yesterday so some bargains to be had.

Could you let me know where you saw that?

That's absurdly cheap for The Sarojin...book book book!

BTW Khao Lak (i've only seen post-Tsunami!) is how I imagine it was pre-Tsunami, with most building work now completed (from what I can see). From the Sarojin you couldn't tell anyway as nothing for miles around!
Thought it was too good to be true...turned out to be accomm only price when we went in travel agents..bit of a sneaky advert. Looking at the website can't say I was to bothered at missing out...the place has got an imagineer.

Good news about Khao Lak then. I did find one four star/five star place for around £20 per night B&B
When you're on the road to Khao Lak, keep a look out for this. It was one of the Thai Navy ships offshore Khao Lak when the Tsunami hit. It got carried one mile inland. It's been left where it ended and is now kept as a memorial for the victims. Absolutely mind blowing - you can't even see the sea from where it is.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8943/dsc00558dw2.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.