Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I would say it depends on what standard of accomodation, entertainment etc. they enjoy on holiday, and whether or not they like to dress well for dinner.

At that time of year, for weather, it really has to be the Caribbean or Canaries. If they normally do a package e.g.Thomson type holiday then, for a first cruise anyway, they would enjoy a week cruise in the Canaries on Thomson Destiny (may be Celebration) at a lead-in cost approximately £500 each. Basically they fly you to Tenerife, you board and go to Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Madeira, Casablanca, Lanzarote and back to Tenerife. Optional week stay available too (takes total to approx. £750 each) but, if that attracts, do the stay before cruise otherwise the stay part will seem a let down after cruise. Dress code on board is informal. You will see contact agencies etc. on teletext p227.

If they are used to the top end of market then there are offers on the QM2 at end November and early/mid-December which include a 1 or 2 night stay in New York before cruising for 10 days down and back to the Caribbean. Lead-in cost, depending on date, airport & hotel choice will be £1000-£1250 each. Dress code is a mix of formal and informal. You will see contact agencies etc. on teletext P228 and P262.

If they prefer something in between these extremes there are a couple of deals with check-in cruise club, at INVALID URL one on Voyager of the Seas overnight in Barcelona on 26 November, then cruise to Canaries and back for 12 days lead-in price is £750ish. If their outlook on life is "young at heart" this would be perfect, we sailed on her last month and it was excellent. The other one is Norwegian Pearl in the South Caribbean
roughly same length, lead-in price £850ish but flying out on 29 November. If you go into the website just go straight to the month required and click on November (maybe December too).

We have sailed on Thomson Spirit, and also the QM2 and Voyager of the Seas, amongst others, so can speak from experience. If you want to ask anything, please do so, and best wishes for finding an appropriate cruise!
Many thanks hamrag, the in between cruise sounds ideal for them as first time on a cruise, i will look into the deals straight away. Your help was very informative.

I cannot find that voyager of the seas cruise, i clicked on the link it would not go to it. Thomson offering a canaries one on their own ship for £800 for 7 nights, is that good?

Thankyou
I have cruised with RCI/Princess/Celebrity/Thomson/Fred olsen

If I am correct in my assumption that (like me)they are not in the first fflush of youth can I suggest Fred olsen

Very high level of customer service/smaller more homely ships/excellent food to British tastes etc

Very easy to make friends given the ships scale and on board prices very reasonable

This company has the highest repeat trade of the lott-wwe are using again next summer

Thomson OK but not in Olsens class imho
I would not pay to £800 or was it £700 for a week on a Thomsons ship. Look at the teletext and there are some great offers out there. There are still some deals out there for the Med and right now the weather is fine.

Celebrity have offers on Century and Millennium and also RCI. If you want a lively holiday with good food and great entertainment then go for RCI. If you would like the higher end then I think Celebrity would suit. There are prices of £500-700 for 10 11 and 14 night holidays.

There are also good deals on Brilliance of the Seas and also on Splendour of the Seas. I have sailed on Splendour many times and Century Galaxy Summit and Millennium all Celebrity ships.
Also there may be some deals with Princess.

I always look at page 228 or 262 on teletext.

Good luck

Sue
I have sailed Celebrity Century and Brilliance

Both wonderful ships

Depends what you want -these are quite large and slightly impersonal

Sue is spot on though-if you can get these for the price of a Thomsons its a no brainer
I absolutely would not pay £700 or £800 for 1 week with Thomson. If it is Thomson they want, then £500 absolute max. including in-flight meals, fuel supplement etc. Go to teletext P 227.

You can do much better than Thomson for a £750ish budget. Sue is right the Med weather is good at moment, but you are looking at early December really. Canaries (with Med for first couple of days) is ideal, or else Caribbean at that time of year. The telephone number for check-in cruise club is 0845 345 7447 and the date for the Voyager of Seas is 26 November for 12 nights Canaries. The Norwegian Pearl is 29 November in Caribbean. Can't understand why you are not seeing this on website, but staff are most helpful and patient and will answer any questions you may have on the phone.

Maybe should have mentioned that Voyager is huge, with 3000ish people but superb and atmosphere very friendly.
Hi Hamrag and all others for your good info.

I finally booked a cruise off teletext, paid £700 on voyager of sea.

Told my mum and showed her what you all said, she well made up!
Well done. I am sure that they will enjoy it. The Voyager ships are really spectacular with Ice Shows and great intertainment. This is like night and day comparison between Thomson. Yes I may get shot down but it is really a fabulous ship.

Get them a brochure or better still contact RCI on the internet and you can probably get a DVD or CD if not then call and they will post one out to you.

Enjoy and I presume this is to the Canaries so weather will be fine and it is probably for 10-11 days. Superior product all round.

The only downside is that once they try this they will never want any other holiday. The cruise bug will well and truly bite them just ask Hamrag!!

Sue
thanks sue

I on net now looking at rci site, trying to order dvd. it is the canaries for 11 days. I so want to go on a cruise but husband said he cant imagine anything worse than on a ship for nearly 2 weeks. So one day I might treat just me and daughter to one, he can go fishing holiday. Is a cruise suitable for a 5 year old?
Well done Goldenlady, now you need to work on hubby!!

For a 5 year old, absolutely yes on RCI e.g. Voyager. We were on for the Scottish schools holiday week between 13 and 20 October. The facilities for children are superb, and nowhere in over 20 years holidaying abroad with 3 children (now 24, 21 & 16) have we seen anything close to what was available, particularly at that time of year! Sue is absolutely correct, there is no comparison really between Voyager and the "package" cruiselines i.e. Island, Thomson and Ocean Village! My own view is that the better lines have become so affordable that in 3 or 5 years from now the package cruiselines will not even be able to compete with them.

We only discovered cruising 3 years ago for Silver wedding. We have now been 8 cruises and have 2 more already booked for next year, including a full family holiday for the first time in many years. The 2 oldest (both boys) are curious and have agreed to 14 days with us, on basis we are paying!! We regret that we did not try cruising 20 years ago although, to be fair, it was nowhere near as affordable then.

I was not particularly keen but wanted to please for Silver wedding, and we are both hooked now as you have read. My advice to you would be try one week. Voyager of the Seas goes out of Barcelona round the Western Med. during summer season on a 7 day route. You could add a day or two at Barcelona, where there is a lovely beach for the 5 year-old and Hubby could fish at the pier!! Alternatively if you wanted two week break you could fly to Reus, have a week in Salou or Sitges, then train to Barcelona for the cruise week. Very easy to self organise.

Either way go for it, you will not regret it. Actually when your parents get back, they will tell you and they know what you enjoy etc. so will be much more meaningful coming from them.
Well said! Absolutely I have just booked another cruise for the QM2 for February and this will be my 6th cruise in 20 months. For me as a woman cruising is ideal and next time around I will be travelling solo again. The cruise just finished on the 2nd November I was travelling with my friend but she and I have our own rooms and it is just great.

I can almost guarantee that your Parents and also your Husband will and would love it if they just do it.

I am not sure what the date of their cruise is but I wish them Bon voyage!!

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.