Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi :wave:

There are quite a few mentions of Agadir in various topics, the easiest way to get some quick info while waiting for specific replies would be to use the search facility near the top of the page, click on the link then enter Agadir in to the search box, you can narrow it down by scrolling to Africa / Middle East in the forum box then click search at the bottom.

Graham
Helent and Shirleyh are in Agadir as we speak. They'll be back on Monday with plenty of information i'm sure :)
Hi, as marlou mentioned above, we've just returned from Agadir. Whilst we had an enjoyable holiday, prices outside the hotel aren't cheap. It all depends what you want really. We stayed AI so didn't really need to spend much outside of our hotel.

To quote you some examples- On a walk around the town we decided to stop for a refreshing drink. There weren't very many bars to choose from and I'm assuming that the alcohol for sale was expensive due to it being a muslim country. We passed on a brandy which was priced at the equivalent of £7 :really and settled for a small bottle of beer each which was better value at £2. Snack bars had menus of the day for around £12 which was reasonable.

I forgot to pack my deodorant but a visit to the on-site shop revealed the price of a can was £7!! I decided to use hubby's instead :D
However, one day we went on a long walk off the beaten track and found a little shop selling deo for just over £1. I don't think many tourists would venture to that area as it was very run down, with beggars on the streets and vagrants rummaging in skips.

Back in the tourist area there were good bargains to be had in leather jackets/coats and bags as long as you were prepared to barter.
Anything else you need to know, just ask here.
We went to Agadir in August 2 years ago and what nobody tells you is that at that time of year the resort suffers from a strange weather phenomena caused by cold air coming in from the Atlantic hitting hot air in Agadir, resulting in a blanket of sea fog that is trapped by the mountains surrounding the resort.
Sometimes this chilly, damp, fog, only lasts till mid-day but sometimes it can last all day, or clear for a couple of hours mid-day only to return later in the afternoon. Unfortunately when we were in Agadir the fog seldom cleared for the entire fortnight and the pool in our hotel was hardly used. So would strongly recommend you holidaying in any other part of Morocco - where temperatures are assured to be more of a norm for north Africa, or to try Turkey which is probably cheaper.
Wish you'd posted that before we booked :rofl When we went at Easter, the weather was exactly like that. Most days we only saw the sun for around 2 hours. I thought it was because it was early in the season - I didn't realise it was like that all year. Despite the not so good weather, I really enjoyed my week there, and found the people great.
Sorry, have not been posting on the forum for some time, but was led to believe the foggy weather only affected Agadir in late July/August. And for us the weather is the single biggest factor when booking abroad, for all my family are sun worshippers, happy with temperatures that would melt tarmac!! For that reason we were bitterly disappointed by our holiday in Agadir, as were all fellow holidaymakers at the time, it is a shame that holiday companies don't warn holiday makers of the inclement weather in Agadir the same way that they warn about the 'monsoon' or 'hurricane' season in other countries.
Have now issued a warning on this forum.
X
what was the decision and how did it go?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.