Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
after only ever travelling to marmaris im probably not the best person to advise on what area of turkey would suit your needs, but i will say i always take sterling with me to pay for boat trips etc, i always feel that ive got a better deal for my money that way! :)
get a nationwide flex account and a debit card it is the best rate available and NO charges at all.
for your 1st time Marmaris is probably the best...why? because there is a little of everything. there are the neon lights, the pubs and clubs, cinemas, shops and markets but there are quite a few quiet places as well. 2 water parks and the scenery is beautiful. A few miles away the real turkey lies. so hire a car and see it. Places like Datca, turunc,icmeler, selimiye and Akyaka are just a water taxi/bus or small car journey away.
for trips etc.... http://www.marmarisyellowpages.com/trips.asp ... for info and price guide. there is also a currency menu as well to find the best rates.
Every Tourist resort is Touristy as you put it, For a first timer it just has to be Icmeler somewhere in the old village, Icmeler has many very very good restauraunts at fantastic prices 20 Lira or £8 for a five course meal with a Glass of wine with your meal I wouldnt class that as being expensive, The hospitality shown from the workers here is amazing they will help you in anyway they possibly can, All music from the Bar/Restauraunts ceases at midnight note most places still serve drinks until you leave the premises, Icmeler also has plenty of trips to go on if your interested in this type of thing, You also have a much bigger resort in Marmaris just 8 km away where you can hop on a dolmus 1.75 lira one way and explore the much larger resort, Also exchange your money in the resort you choose to go to at any Bank or Post office only as they give you a far better rate than any of the commision shops, Note also sterling is widely accepted for payment everywhere in Turkeys resorts.
I personally would not go to the Bodrum peninsula for two reasons, 1, Cost, It's a lot more expensive in Bodrum, Gumbet, Turgetreis, Bitez, 2, Bodrum, Gumbet, Turgetreis, Bitez are well spread out, Example Bodrum to Turgetreis is around 50 minutes on the Dolmus, Wherever you choose to go to have a nice time and the chances of you going back if you choose Icmeler are 99% as most people that go to this destination go back time and again.
All of what Robert says is very true, people do keep returning to Icmeler. Icmeler was my first experience of Turkey and i was worried that my partner wouldn't like it, how wrong he was. Icmeler has abit of everything and you really couldn't go wrong with this little piece of paradise. I think it is an ideal place for a Turkey first timer. I myself am returning there is September and i can't wait!!!!!!

Ola
Everyone has their own opinions and I see a few people have said Marmaris and Icmeler but as you asked about Gumbet and Bodrum I would like to recommend them far more than Marmaris (obviosly just my opinion though ;) ) as I think Marmaris is too big and has far too many British bars, restaurants etc., I also don't sgree that Bodrum or Gumbet are more expensive, we found that Marmaris and Turunc were more expensive. People go back again and again to all the resorts thoguh so i am sure wherever you choose you will love it.

Bodrum is a beautiful town, lots to see and it is very easy to explore the peninsular by dolmus. Yes, Turgutreis is a way on the dolmus from Bodrum but I think that is half the fun, getting on a bus and seeing what is around. There are loads of small resorts to visit too; Torba, Gumusluk, Turkbuku, Ortakent, Yalikavak and others, and the drives are lovely, lots of beautiful scenery.

Gumbet is a lively resort, not big but plenty of bars and restaurants of all types from Traditional Turkish to Chinese, Italian, Indian etc. The beach is nice, a bit shingly but still pleasant and there are lots of little shops, supermarkets etc. selling all kinds. It is still touristy obviously but being smaller I think it is a lot nicer. Bitez is very close by and is smaller and quieter but still very nice. Turgutreis is nice too although I have never spent much time there apart from the odd day trip.

I lived near to Gumbet for a few years so if there is anything else you want to know about the area please just ask.

It is best to chnage money when you get there or as others have suggested open a Nationwide account and you can get money out without charge from the cash machines. Tradres do accept Sterling and sometimes you do get a better deal that way but I woldn't bother with Euros.

Wherever you choose you will find Turkey a beautiful country, the food is amazing, (I just love turkish food), the weather gorgeous and the people are very warm and friendly.

Kedi
i have been to most areas in turkey and go about 4-6 times a year,and i have recently returned from turgutreis and this area of turkey is more expensive , bitez was very expensive, turgutreis cooked breakfasts were 12 lira thats the dearest ive ever seen in turkey and hairdressers, shops etc in this area are a lot dearer than any other place ive visited. i also didnt like gumbet and bodrum, turgutreis was nice but not a lot there and beach very stoney. i personally would recommend olu deniz , such beautiful scenery ,lovely lagoon area, plenty to do and not so much hassle, failing that then icmeler, this is busier than olu and still a lovely resort although not quite as scenic. the best thing for you to do is read up on the resorts as everyone has different preferences, so 1 persons choice might not be yours,

we love akyaka but for what you want its too quiet, im sure you will love turkey ,good luck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.