Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Fish Stings
14 Posts
Heat helps, but - and this is a very BIG BUT - get medical help as soon as possible. The venom of a stonefish can kill a human in ONE HOUR.

READ THIS
AND THIS

Remember, just because you can stand up easily in the water doesn't mean you are safe. Stay clear of rocks, whether you know it's a rock or not.
Thanks for that, an interesting but scary read!!! Ive never seen a lion fish or a scorpion fish before, I know to stay well away though! and Im going to be super cautious with the stone fish!.....I never stand anywhere anyway but still nice to know about these things!!!
This is a lion fish. I found him (her? :? ) near the jetty at the Conrad in Sharm very early one morning :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/graham.harmer/PICT0068.JPG

Pippy :D
Wow, if the time on that picture is right it was very early!!!! It would be fascinating to see one, but I guess its just down to luck!
Yes, the time is correct :wink: We walked down the jetty to watch the sun rise, saw Mr/Mrs Lion Fish about half way down.

Where are you staying? If it's somewhere with a jetty I'd say you'd be extremely unlucky not to see at least one, they hide underneath them. The Conrad has/had about six (if not more) resident lion fish.

We're going to the Sheraton Mirarmar in El Gouna, that has a jetty. Though I have to say Ive been off several jettys around el fanar and never seen one!!
I've only been to Sharm, saw lots at various locations. I'm sure one of the fishy experts will know whether or not you're likely to see a lion fish :gluck

You're more likely to see one at night, as they stay deeper during the day. I'd be surprised if you didn't see any.
Before i went i bought two books from amazon about the fish and corals of the red sea and they were worth every penny!!!!
yeah, I have a very good book from amazon
Three books to consider...

Debelius; Red Sea Reef Guide.
This for many people is the 'Bible' for Red sea fish/coral/little critter identification.

Harrison & Misiewicz; Reef Fishes and Corals of the Red Sea.
Amazon were selling this in a package with Debelius when I bought mine. Very good book. Paperback so not too heavy to take out diving or to the beach. Mine has been well thumbed on dive trips.

Lieske & Myers; - Collins; Coral Reef Guide - Red Sea.
I left my copy of this in Nuweiba last summer. One of the dive instructors liked it so much I gave it her as a 'tip'. I bought another as soon as I got home. The dive centre manager took details so she could buy some to sell in their shop. It is an excellent tome.
I have the Debelius one, its great!!!! Im hoping it'll keep my cousin occupied too! he's coming out with us in a few weeks....hi first time abroad. He's 15 and very excited about snorkelling! ....also very hyperactive, so hoping he'll sit and look through the book to find out the names of the things he's seen, he's very interested about that kind of thing! Anyway, getting sidetracked, the book is fab, and I love the little details it gives you about allt he fish, corals etc etc
Hi everyone,

Off to Sharm for the first time in 3 weeks :D Not sure if it is needed but just ordered some Safe Sea Lotion from Scuba Kit. £6.99 SP15. This is the cheapest I have seen it for.

Has anyone used it?

Starry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.