Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi,my DH and I always take strong garlic capsules .I always used to get bitten quite bad but since doing this have only been bittem once and not even sure it was a mossie ,could've been an ant as there where some by the sunbed.Tea tree oils is brilliant aswell .If you have a homebargains near you they sell it really cheap.Just come back from sharm and as I said only had one bite. :tup Hassie
here is a link to the thread on this site all about mossie stings etc
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=240
Thank you.

Hubby has all the repellants :rofl

Is there anything other than tree tea oil for the actual sting afterwards.

I'm thinking of something from the chemists rather than natural, as he prefers chemists stuff.
I have been bitten by the blasted fish and came up with a huge black bite, just rubbed antiseptic cream on it as i had all my jabs. Never been bitten by mossies, but always take garlic capsule each day, it works for me. Jelly fish, i just keep away from, they only seem to come out in the morning when its quiet up our end.

Michelle
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Antihistamine tablets take away the itch,which usually causes the bite to get infected. I think .Check out the other thread it may be helpfull. :wave:
Years ago one of our party was bit by a fish in Rhodes, took a good chunk out of his ankle.

So jelly fish like quite water :think

Learn something new every day :cheers

Will bring a tube of antiseptic cream ;)
  • Edited by kimevans 2008-05-05 10:27:03
Antihistamine tablets take away the itch,which usually causes the bite to get infected. I think .Check out the other thread it may be helpfull.

Will do :cheers

Just the regular hayfever ones?

The other thread seems to be full of natural remedies, will have another look.
Michelle
Is it the odourless garlic capsules you take? Don't want to be stinking of garlic.
Thanks
Garry
:rofl Yes definitely the odourless ones from Holland and barrett in the yellow box. My husband is allergic to bite of any kind, he finds he never gets bitten at all in Sharm thank goodness. We have seen some people though that have bites all over their bodies ouch :yikes He also takes antihistamines from Moss chemist because they give you loads in packets where as other chemists only give a few and are very expensive.

Another thing mossies like is perfume and after shave !! I bet not many of you know that, so stopped wearing it at night.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
my dad was stung by a jelly fish in menorca, they said the best thing for a sting was to wee on it, failing that vinegar. we are going to sharm in april next and was wondering if there are many about at that time of year, as 13 yr old son cant wait to go snorkelling, but is abit scared of jelly fish since his grandad got stung. can any one help on htat one?
Errr
When does Sharm get Mozzies ???? --- not seen any whilst we were there

and as for jellyfish if you can call that purple cloud of them that you get that we were swimming through millions of 'em yet didn't get stung

but as a just in case
mozzies the usual antihistamines
stings vinegar

bites stay clear of vampires use garlic :rofl
Sharks don't buy anything from them :tup
:whoops
only joking re the last two
not heard of any shark reports from any of the dive crews I know last one was Feb 2007 when they had some tigers around the Gorm
We've been in Nuweiba when there have been millions of these purple/mauve jellyfish around.
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8458/coralhiltonnuweibajune0iq1.th.jpg
You could swim through clouds of them with no problem and we even saw some young bedouin kids throwing them at each other!
so no real nasty jelly fish out there then, i would hate to have hols spoiled by loads of jelly fish stings.
sorry to say but i was stung twice with jelly fish,our guide told us they were harmless and didnt sting, wrong and i had large welts to prove it, they put some hot lemon juice on them and it did take some of the nip out of them, hubbie offered to wee on me and you dont want to know my reply to him lol
carrot2502 wrote:
We've been in Nuweiba when there have been millions of these purple/mauve jellyfish around.
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8458/coralhiltonnuweibajune0iq1.th.jpg
You could swim through clouds of them with no problem and we even saw some young bedouin kids throwing them at each other!

Hey Orange one
How did you get a picture of one on it's own
there were always too many when we saw them at Ras Um Sid it was wierd swimming through them and not getting stung
Mrs.C was responsible for that picture, Gray, on a day when there were only a few around. Then, over the next few days, maybe due to a strengthening wind, hoardes of the things arrived!

From the comments ronaridge makes , it appears quite feasable that some people may suffer some form of "irritation" or "sting" from these fellows, whilst most people are unaffected.
can children take garlic caps they are 6 and 13 years old thanks
jenandphilmoss wrote:
can children take garlic caps they are 6 and 13 years old thanks

Simply put yes as they are Garlic oil and Gelatine

it's either that or eat a clove of garlic a day or if you're like me you eat so much of the stuff a kilo only lasts a couple of weeks
I can use around 2 bulbs on the Sunday Roast one roasted whole :tup :tup and the other in the gravy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.