Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
jelly fish
62 Posts
I dont think Ive seen any posts warning of Jellyfish in Bulgaria :hmmm
Have seen them in other parts of this site - Majorca etc - you sure you seen the posts in this section ?

Anyway Im pleased you've not had any nasty encounters with jelly fish all the same :lol:
I dont think Ive seen any posts warning of Jellyfish in Bulgaria.

Have seen them in other parts of this site - Majorca etc - you sure you seen the posts in this section ?

Hi nursynewcastle,

There were certainly reports of jellyfish in Bulgaria last year, see HERE.
there were a few about last year but it did not put us off swimming in the sea.wife saw more out to sea when she was paragliding, :wink:
there was the odd one in sunny beach, heard a rumour a little girl got stung but she was out on a pedlo

i my self didnt see any
we got back from a week ago and of the 14 days we were in elenite there was one day when there was loads of jelly fish. a couple of german girls were collecting them into a bucket and didn't get stung, we asked a lifeguard and he said they were harmless.
we went out on a pedelo that day and it was stunning the size of them further out.
I only saw one jellyfish in Sunny Beach this year. Two years ago there were lots and my kids wouldn't go in the sea.
Last year there were loads of Jelly fish in September / October. My son was stung all down his arm after swimming in the sea. We were told that they are hurt by the speed boats which causes them to wash onto the sand. We were lucky, we had a sting cream from the Dr before going just in case.
Hi, I was stung by a jellyfish this year and went to the first aid hut, and got stung again for an injection. Don't know whether it was necessary but cost 97 leva. I was told by someone a couple of days later that vinegar would have worked but too late by then. Some days there were quite a few little jellyfish near the beach but the kids have picked them up with no harm. I caught a big one a little bit further out with my arm so it got me. We did see alot out on the pirate ship, various sizes, so didn't swim in the sea, but others did and came to no harm. :roll:
How much further out is further out - 10, 20, 30, or 50 metres? As I am going out on 19th Sept I may paddle a bit 15 metres now!! Stuart
Hi, I was swimming a couple of metres away from a bouy which seemed to mark the area, beyond that was busy with jet skis and the like. It was further out than paddling. I went back in a couple of days later and for the rest of the holiday but stuck to where it was up to my neck, I'm about 5ft 2. Mind you I didn't see any jellyfish in the area after the day I was stung, only out at sea on the pirate boat.
Liaha
We were in SB for the past 2 weeks, saw some jelly fish while out on the boat, but none while we swam in the sea. Kids played in the water for ages with no problems.

Trish
we have just come back from SB, there were a few jelly fish around, biggest i saw was about the size of a dinner plate across, i swap right past it and no probs, think you are unlucky if you do get stung as they seem to just drift in the swell!!

bombhead
we were swimming and playing in the sea and never saw any near the shore but i went paragliding last wednesday and about 100 metres out to sea we saw quite a few :shock:
Keep hearing things about jellyfish in Sunny Beach. Are these common? Do they sting? How big are they? Has anyone had any bad experiences with them? How do you avoid them? Any other info would be great! :D
I`ve seen jellyfish in Golden Sands, but never in Sunny Beach.
Those I`ve seen has been "far" out on the sea while going on a boat trip, and not close to the sea.

I`ve never seen them close to the beach and I`ve been spending like 8 weeks in four trips to Golden Sands/Sunny Beach.

I dont think you have to worry :D :D :D
Jellyfish aren't that bad anyway. I got stung when I was younger somewhere in the black sea and they hurt but they generally aren't life threatening unless you have a rare allergic reaction. I also got stung (I was a curious kid) in mallorca by a big purple jellyfish, so stings can happen anywhere!

The worst bit about it was having to pee on the sting. Tres embarrasing!
remember reading about jelly fish this time last year after we'd booked for Sunny Beach. It did concern me a bit, but needn't have worried as we didn't see one out there. Relax and look forward to your holiday :P
Thanks for the info guys. Not too bothered about the beach and sea myself but i have two kids 11 and 7 who enjoy it. I much prefer the hotel swimming pool. Far less hassel, no sand getting everywhere, drinks and food easier to buy (and sometimes cheaper), no-one trying to sell you anything. On top of this you have the 6-8 levs for privilege of sitting on the beach (which means that I might have to stay for longer than 1 hour to get my levs worth and more time to be hasseled) and then I heard people talking about jellyfish. Seemed hardly worth the bother at all!
We saw some last year but only when we were out on the boat.
  • Edited by trishh6 2008-11-25 01:32:40
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.