Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Jelly Fish
13 Posts
We have been to Protaras for the last 3 years (back again in August) and we have never had any encounters/problems with them.
I also haven't seen any BUT a couple of years ago my daughter got "stung" by something on her leg,just above her ankle.It was like a burn(maybe a centimetre long and a couple of millimetres wide).The chemist across from Constantinos the Great said it was probably a jellyfish sting when I described how it looked.
Jelly fish come in all shapes and sized and do frequent the waters around Cyprus. Some are harmless, some cause a minor sting and some are quite viscious. The latter being quite rare. I wouldn't worry about them, chances are you won't see one.

Darren
my young daughter got stung last october, she's quite proud of it actually and enjoyed the attention of the lifeguard :roll: the sea was very choppy at the time and she gots stung in only 18 inches of water. to be honest it was pretty minor and was just like a nettle rash. has not put anyone of us off :)
My grandson, son in law, daughter and little grandaughter (3) have all been stung it always seems to be after the sea has been really choppy. They must get washed in or something

Guess who made the most noise when it happened, yes you guessed the daddy :lol: :lol:
Last time a Cypriot lady sprayed the sting with something cant remember what it was i will ask my daughter

It does not keep them away from the sea , I think they have got used to getting stung now :lol:
Never been stung in Cyprus in twenty years or so, got a bad sting in Devon one year by a Portuguese man of war..I was in real pain for a week!!! they have them here so they say!

The one that got me looked like a toy plastic boat, it wasn't.. :cry:

http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/fish/JellyFish-PortugueseMan-of-War.jpg
Been to protaros last 3 years but only saw jelly fish last year. They were only the size of a small tangerine and were a purple colour. Didn't get stung by one but if one does get stung the friends episode with Joey, Chandler and Monica on the beach should give you some ideas what to do. Swim safe. Suenick. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My wife got stung last year in July, while we where on a cruise and swim boat trip. Apparently it was very bad year for Jellyfish in the Med.
The staff on the boat where fully prepared.
If you do get stung then DON'T touch or rub the area you will make it worst. Wash the area with fresh water as this kills the stinging cells. Then wash it again with Vinegar, this neutralises the sting and kills the pain, then rinse it again with fresh water.
Hopefully this year it should be back to normal and you won't need to do any of this, but it's best to know what to do just incase.
By the way the pain is similar to stinging nettles so it's no big deal anyway.
Hi Bansko Babe

You will not find any jellfish at Protaras.

But there are quite a few sharks around in the tourist areas - selling property to holidaymakers. :wink:

Take care

Nigel (aka EPHMH)
Jelly fish seem to like to congregate anywhere that has the water sports boats and around the jettys.

When we stayed in Pernera (at the golden coast) hotel and Protaras area we had loads of pink jellies all over the place in June, apparently it was mating time. A little boy was piling them in his hands until his mother freaked out cos they stung him! By the time 9am came they had all gone. They do not like the noise, so the best time to see them would be up to 8am before everyone hits the sea.
Thanks all for your replies. Sounds like its not a mega problem. Hopefully I won't see any. Bad in some parts of Greece other parts you don't see them. I guess its the luck of the draw. Won't spoil my holiday anyway. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.