Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
fishing
29 Posts
hi not been on them myself but have seen them advrtised..

if you fish around the island two species to watch out for

the Rabbit fish (feeds on sea grass and other plant life) greenish in colour has a poisonous spike on the brlly area

The Lion fish stripy thing with nasty spines along the dorsal and gills
Poisonous

both not normaly deadly but will spoil your holiday especily if you get an infection with it

brian
take a look at this website.
http://www.smiley.cy.net/basspro/index.htm

some great inland fishing iam going for a fortnight at easter.
i will try to get back on here to tell you what its like.
john
Does anyone have any advice on fishing (and getting the right permits) for dam fishing in and around Limassol? Do you have any idea about costs to expect? And possibly even more info on fishing? The DH is an avid fan!
As far as am aware there is a charge of £10cyp per reservoir there are also a couple of private fisheries where you can get day tickets. Last time I asked fishing permits/licences do not apply, you can also go sea fishing ( several boats go out from the south coast) or shore fishing Pafos harbour is a favourite with locals but again I have seen them along the coast in odd spots..
take a look at the links as under.

hope this helps

http://agrino.org/fishing/
http://www.cyprusangling.com/opening_page.htm

brian
I'll check out those sites and if we catch any send some over! :D
I forgot to say WELCOME to HT

Tight Lines

Brian
I have been known to lurk with different names! (no I just forget my username and password each time!) Can't wait to go. Just wish it could be a drop warmer!
Just to share then, we went to 2 dams (2 week group licence group=2 people) was 10 CYP.. not bad! and the dams we went to Kouris and Yermesouia.. are really beutiful either way for a visit, especially Kouris, and Kouris at least was packed with fish... ! I am no expert but we did catch some nice sized ones.. and others cuaght MASSIVE ones! All edible! haha :lol:
Hi everybody,

I am going to Paphos in august and would like to take a deep sea fishing trip, are there many boats offering these excursions ?

Many thanks in advance
yes we are looking for these too, as my Fiance will be going on one for his stag do, any info would be great!
Just go down to the harbour area - there are always people trying to seel boat trips; fishing trips etc.

Think in August you will just catch (no pun intended) the end of the Tuna fishing season.

Ady
We're off to Protaras in 2 wks and my boyfriend is a keen sea/beach fisherman and he wants to do a little fishing whilst on holiday. He has bought a 9 ft telescopic rod and a small multiplier reel. He would like to know what sort of line is required (he thinks around 10lb) Is a float used or a weight? What size hook is average? and what sort of bait is best to use?, or could a rubber spinning worm be ok? Thanks Sheila.
Sea Fishing and Coarse Fishing trips are highlighted In the link below.... but these are obviously organised trips. :D
My husband Is a keen Fisherman, and will definately be looking to go on a Fishing Trip whilst there with his dad.
Well done your boyfriend for taking his Rod with him....... hubby will probably just hire one, If he can, from around Protaras region.
:oops: Sorry I cant help with the weights etc. :wink:

http://www.cyprusyachts.com/index.htm
We are staying in Protaras in July, my 16 yr old son likes to do a bit of fishing.
Nothing too professional. Are they any harbours or places he might be able to spend a few hours.?

Cheers
he could have a go at tuna fishing take a look at http://www.tunafishing-cy.com
providing he keeps away from the swimming areas there is no problem i have fished from the rocks a bit further up at Permera many times and further down nr Cavo Greko, i only use a cheep collapsible medium match rod with specimen hooks sizes 1 to 4 and 5/8 th oz arlse bombs

one of the locals favorite baits is bread and sardine paste (using sardines in oil) somewhere in this forum i have mentioned before about 2 fish to watch out for

wizard
Can anybody tell me if they do carp fishing excursions from Protaras and what size fish youcan catch and what price.Cheers :roll:
MJH I would like to know that aswell for my hubby and FIL :wink:

....... My FIL Is actually taking a Fishing Rod out with him to Protaras :shock: ......... Its one that folds right down, so I would Imagine he can get It In his hand luggage........ :D
Hubby and him are going down to the Sea ealry evening, to see If they can catch anything........
I am also keen on fishing and have fished from the shore in Protaras many times, you need to approach it some what differently from the way we fish here in the UK.

Local's fish with very light tackle; most use a pole or course outfit 2.5lb to 3lb line, float fished with size 14 to 16 hook, you won't need anything like 10lb line as the largest fish you are likely to encounter is going to be around the 1lb to 2lb

In the past I have used bread, squid, and paste as bait which all work well, as for the best time to fish it has to be in the morning, I have tried fishing in the evening with no luck at all, this may be due to larger predatory fish starting to feed, if this is the case then it may be worth fishing a dead bait or large spinner.

Hope this is of some help, as Terry Thomas would say "tight lines"

Maurice
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.