Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
The £100, relates to individual payments that you might make. It is a single transaction, not a single ticket price!

If you were putting a £75 deposit on a package holiday, then this wouldn't be covered. In your position, assuming you have made 1 payment of £780, then you are covered - No Problem!

Hope that this helps.
nicJW,

I'm not a financial expert (I don't use credit cards), but the way I understand it is if the transaction is greater than £100, you're covered. The fact the actual flight ticket per person is only £54 doesn't matter, it's the actual transaction amount that counts.

Darren
Thanks both for your replies, I thought that what you have said is right, however, after reading this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75/protect-your-purchases (hope you will allow the link) I'm not so sure.
It's the section headed 'Is it the bill or the item that has to be over £100?' An example is used where an outward flight costs £99 and the return is £9.99 and would not be covered.

I'm confused :que
Still looking into this...appears to be a bit of a grey area and maybe a legal loophole for the card companies to use?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming in this situation and how they got on?

I've been looking at my confirmation email and I 'think' in my case I would be ok as the tickets have been booked as a round trip. The email states '4 passengers x £108.08', (which is £54.04 each way) so I'm thinking that's ok....just!

I've looked at the wording under Section 75, and it does state 'Single Item', so I guess if you had to make a claim against the card issuer it would all depend upon how they interpret this.
Just another thing to make people aware of aswell that I didn't realise, Section 75 protection only applies if the payment is made on the principal cardholders card. So if you have a credit card and have an additional cardholder on it such as your spouse, cover will only apply if payment is made on the card of the person named on the account.
Remember also that credit cards only cover your original ticket cost and will not cover repatriation. Therefore if you pay £400 for four people and your airline collapses while your away then you would need to purchase return flights and because they are one way you will pay a considerable higher cost. The worst and typical situation could be you travel out with a low cost carrier for £400 for four people and there are no low cost carriers to bring you home and you end up paying say £800 for the four of you to get you home. So do not reply on your credit card soley, you will need to check your travel insurance policy covers scheduled airline failure or end supplier, you can also buy such cover independantly online as an additional policy to your travel insurance.

Having browsed the web myself I found many travel insurance policies including either cover for Scheduled Airline Failure (SAFI) and or financial failure for other elements of the holiday such as hotels, car hire, trains, ferries etc. Here are the ones I found

AA Travel Insurance
Columbus Travel Insurance
Direct Line Travel Insurance
O2 Travel Insurance
Direct Travel Insurance
EasyJet Travel Insurance
British Airways Travel Insurance
Post Office Travel Insurance
Flybe Travel Insurance
Saga Travel Insurance
BIBA Travel Insurance
AIG Direct Travel Insurance

There were others through comparison engines which say they do and they dont when you read the wording, so you have to check their wording.

I also found the only website that offers a stand alone insurance which you can buy in addition to your travel insurance policy to cover financial failure of the airline and other parts of the holiday at protectmyholiday.com

:wave:
donnawood wrote:
I also found the only website that offers a stand alone insurance which you can buy in addition to your travel insurance policy to cover financial failure of the airline and other parts of the holiday at protectmyholiday.com

Thank you for your input Donna. However, in fairness to members who may regard your opinions as unbiased, we should perhaps point out that like some of your colleagues who have previously posed as satisfied customers in order to recommended that site, you are of course connected with the company.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.