Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid in Spain (mainland and islands) but may not necessarily be accepted by all clinics or practitioners, hence it should never be considered an alternative to travel insurance. Some insurance companies stipulate that an EHIC should be used first to try and obtain healthcare, before using your insurance policy. It is therefore important that you have both a valid EHIC and a comprehensive travel insurance policy. For more info and discussion, please check out our EHIC topic.

Anyone already in possession of an EHIC should check its expiry date to ensure that it is still valid. Many of those issued 5 years ago are about to or have already expired. No reminders or renewal notices are issued, it is up to the cardholder to check and renew. Applications and renewals can be made via the link in our EHIC topic.

David :wave
:tup thanks david....doing all my checks and covering all my little worries now so can relax
been told that you have to show it straight away on your first visit, otherwice you will be charged, reguardless if its in your hotel room, so always keep it in your purse or wallet
In the south of the Island the clinics that accept this card are few and far between. So if you need to consult the doctor make sure you ask your rep's or receptionists where the nearest clinic is that accepts this card. In the tourist resorts it is much better to go to a doctor that uses insurances imo because you will often find they speak much better english then the national ones and you are normally treated much quicker that's just the opinion from someone that has lived here for years of course. ;)
thanks cj and little legs.....always taken card or e111 when was used instead....even took the advised photo copies with me....but never thought about carrying it with me....will do now though...

I'm going playa taurito is that in the south ...what do you mean by an insurance imo.....some insurances stipulate use EHIC card....so could I land up being charged and insurance not paying out ..

I have read about hotel doctors being used...do they take card or will they be private
Down in Taurito they would use a private doctor any doctors that come to the hotels are private doctors and will need to be paid. IMO just means in my opinion, so I was just saying that it is much less hassle to buy private medical insurance (Let's be honest it's not expensive) and that way you know you will be ok.
Unfortuately private medical insurance can be very expensive and very hard to obtain for people with pre-existing problems. A friend I sometimes travel with is contemplating giving up holidaying abroad because of the problems she is having trying to obtain insurance.
I had to call a doctor to my hotel room for my husband on one occasion in the Canaries (albeit Tenerife) and the doctor was not interested in the EHIC card and insisted on being paid cash.
thanks for explaining cj....always have private insurance as well...have constant ongoing one for family...me hubby and youngest.... but had to get thompsons one(just easier to do when booking) for elder son.....surely though insurance company wouldnt expect you to travel miles to use EHIC when private doctor or clinic closer....what if you forget to carry card would insurance still pay out for treatment....must check small print.

as in judiths case ....what if doctor OR clinic wont accept EHIC...but will only treat you privately
Yup, that sounds about right Judith they are only interested in private insurance in the majority of clinics in the commercial resorts! Unfortunatley insurances for people with pre-existing problems can be expensive but for the majority of people they aren't. I just went to Aus and I got fully insured with excess waiver for only around 20 pounds so very cheap.
If the medical centre didn't accept the card then the guests would have to pay for the medical assistance that they had. Each medical centre differs for example when I was a Thomson Rep the medical centre we used in Playa Del Ingles would only take the excess off of the guests (If they did not have exccess waiver) and then they the medical centre would claim from the insurance (Which made everything much easier) however some centres will charge you in full then you will have to claim back upon your arrival to the UK.
TWEETIEPIE
http://www.canaryforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7970&highlight=british+meciacal+clinic
Take a look at above link, mary at the british medical centre puerto rico. also click on her link underneath her name, she has a medical centre in Puerto Rico, and she is british, always take her tel no. with me when going to GC, they do a pick up service if needed. She will be able to tell you if the card covers you in gc.Also take a look here.http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=126718
Thanks TINKY WINKY... . read the posts from mary on TH site....and on the other one ....read some really worrying posts on that site....about the hotel rooms being robbed in porto rico with no forced entry and the safes forced open ...they reckon inside jobs....not just one hotel involved lots....advice was dont take cash but travellers cheques.....this is worrying as if you keep travellers cheques in the safe you would also have other ID and your passport....you use your passport to cash the cheques...so could they....might cause a problem when you try to claim.

also was going on about if you have a drink would void your holiday insurance in event of accident....why call it holiday insurance ....I dont know any one who doesnt have a drink on holiday even if its just wine with a meal
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.