America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Would recommend the Sirata Hotel in St Pete beach, it's a middle of the range hotel, location is great, shops and restaurants within walking distance, right on the beach which is lovely - sea is the warmest we've ever been in and you can see dolphins! Several restaurants and pools within the hotel and lots of hotels in walking distance with restaurants in too and a tram/bus stop right outside that takes you into St Pete town if you needed it. We got a good rate booking direct with Virgin holidays and they offer free parking if booking through them. http://www.virginatlantictravelplus.com/HotelDetails.aspx?ResultsID=47 Not sure where you are staying for your first week, it's approx 1hr 30 mins drive from Orlando.

:)
For the same reasons as the previous post I can recommend Fort Myers...Lots of hotels,shops, restaurants, bars etc in walking distance on Estero Island. We have been for 2 years on the run and no need to drive if you don't want too..Also the resort is in easy driving reach of Captiva Island, Naples, Bonita Springs and many others. There are many places to stay on the beach front, we go timeshare and stayed at Estero Island Beach Club. The Diamond Head resort is worth a look if you google it..Stay away from The Lanai Kai though, the hotel in all the publicity looks fab but is a dump.

Enjoy your trip wherever you choose, don't think you can go wrong anywhere on the gulf.

Regards
Ann
Also the same reasons as above. I've stayed in Naples twice. Lovely upmarket resort, many different hotels to choose from 3* 4* and 5* so suits all budgets, great beaches, lots of restaurants, many shops all in all agreat place to chill after or before a week in Orlando.

You cant really go wrong with the gulf coast.
I think Naples would be ideal. Lots of activities for the kids, good shopping, great beaches..best weather on the Gulf.
We have been all over Florida but for beach holidays I would be on the Atlantic coast rather than the Gulf, Our fav by a long way is Fort Lauderdale, superb beaches, great waves brilliant food and the second biggest shopping mall in the US at Sawgrass Mills. (and the worlds best christmas shop)
From there you can drive down to Miami (40 mins) or to Key West (a lot more than 40 mins :rofl )
Very easy to get there from Orlando and takes around 4 hours. We stay at the Sheriton which is directly on the beach and in the evening you can stroll up Las Olas which is FL's version of Rodeo Drive.

Graham & Kathy
Yes, I like Fort lauderdale too :tup Las Olas area is great and so is the beach. Not keen on the Sheratons (Clipper and Trader)though. One is being refurbished. We stayed in one pre-cruise but I hate not having a balcony. Lots of other good Hotels though.
Ah - its been 4 years since we were down there :tup We will be there in November this year but only for the day shopping at Sawgrass, staying up in Davenport this time. We were in Tampa / St Petes in April but did not get down so must make it this time.

Graham
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.