Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We arrived back Monday to cold and wet. negative! :(

Positive I wish I was back in the sun we had 2 months out in goa and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, yes there are changes but isn't there everywhere. :sun2

Already looking at flights to go back next season.

Stayed in Candolim, its busy but you make your holiday your own. Don't be too despondant I'm sure you will make the best of your holiday, come on its sunshining out there!! :D enjoy.

jan x
I go in two weeks and some of the doom and gloom does get you dow.I know that when I get there we will have a great time.Go for it you will have a great time.

Papa
Hi bigbaddad

Love the name

Just to reassure you the sun is still shinning, the drinks are cheap and food is fantastic
Yes there are problems with some traders and taxi's over charging, yes the night markets are not open, yes there are only 20 sunbeds at a shack but Goa still has a lot more things going for it.

You have been before so it is better to be warned and not get caught out also it is a still only few that are been silly.

There is no reason why you should not have a really good holiday and I certainly hope you do but did you really go to Butlins in the 80's ?
  • Edited by meagain 2009-02-15 18:04:30
I think you're right about the doom and gloom in Goa.

Maybe it would be better for you to go to Butlins for 2 weeks instead of Goa - let me know where you are 'cos I'm gonna go AOL from work, come and collect your tickets and go in your place.

Seriously though there are a lot of negative things being posted at the moment on the forum and things have changed but IMO things haven't changed enough to stop it being a great holiday destination.

The Sun shines, food is good, it's still cheap and hey to top it all you're away from Work. Please don't let the negatives on the forum make you go on holday with a negative attitude. Have a browse ther are a lot of positives on here too!!

I won't say have a great holiday 'cos I KNOW you will!!!!!!!!
Well Bigbaddad you toook the words out of my mouth!! I sat reading the forum yesterday and i very seriously considered starting a similar thread, except in my case it would have been from someone living here... not someone about to come on holiday......and frankly i thought to myself ..i cannot understand why some of the people (always the same few it seems) who constantly post negatives and moan and groan about Goa on this forum bother to come here at all!!!! I mean would i keep going somewhere so obviously awful that i didnt have much good to say for....NO!!!!!!!!!!! .. :que . ...I wouldnt even waste my time constantly loggin onto a forum about that place.. I would move on!!

Of course everything isnt perfect and I wouldnt pretend it is..& I dont see Goa through rose tinted glasses either and we all have our moans now and then (we're brits!! ;) )... but when it seems so constant and so critical with some people and rarely anything positive, I feel exasperated...especially when some are here for maybe only 2 or 3 weeks in a year... and can make quite major and damning judgements in that short time,

This is my simple opinion...for what its worth... Goa has changed ...so has Spain, Turkey, Greesce Uk, just about everywhere. its called progress... (even in primitive forms and for better or worse) but it is still value for money, sunny and beautiful... i wake up to it every day and am thankful I am here and not freezing and stressed in the gloomy UK... its warm and cheap and sociable with tropical beaches ... a good life and I still love it...and so do most of the people i know here. as I am sure you still will when you get here Bigbaddad..............and maybe its time some people just found somehwhere more pleasing/suited to them!!!!! and a forum where they can learn and investigate about other more suitable places!! (a case of if the cap fits!!!) cos it makes me feel depressed too, constantly being bombarded with negs and whinges... same ol... same ol!!!!
well there its said :) and sorry if anyone is offended but i feel better for having aired it....
Chilly
I couldn't agree more chilly, :tup
I wish I was able to be there this year, there are many parts of Goa that are still relatively unspoilt, and I will be back as soon as possible. The moaners will not put me off :D
x lassi
Thats just what this forum needed and I am packing my stuff, my better half is sorting the factor 30 and I cant wait now.

My in laws are there for 6 months and they are far from miserable and llike you chilly they are tired of the negative brits.

So come Wednesday I will be on Morjim beach, sipping a kings beer, talking to the locals and not for one second missing the gloom of UK at the moment.

:cheers
Well I'm booked again for 26th Feb and can't wait to go back. There's always something new to see, different places to find and explore and if something isn't to your liking you can move on. It's great value for money and although I admit I was disappointed with the exchange rate in December, you have to put these things into context. My parents have just returned from Fuerteventura and were paying 19euros for 2 drinks - that was just a beer and a vodka :yikes. I wouldn't enjoy going there because I couldn't afford to enjoy myself - no trips, fancy meals out etc etc so a drop of a few rupees is nothing to moan about when the euro zone destinations are so expensive at the mo. Chilly, I totally agree with what you have said. I come on HT everyday but don't get involved as much as I used to do. In the past I have moaned (a bit) about certain things but it's never stopped me from going back because the positives for me far outweigh the negatives. Bigbaddad, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time on Morjim beach with that bottle of Kings and you'll wonder why you had any doubts in the first place - enjoy:)
Well said Chilly.

Places like Goa are never going to stay the same and sometimes although we may not agree with the changes we are not going to stop them. We should count ourselves lucky that its not changing as quick as other countries. I first visited Turkey in 1986 and Goa in 1991. I remember on my first trip to Goa thinking it was a bit like Turkey was in 1986. Over the last 20 years Turkey has changed almost beyond recognition whereas I still think the changes in Goa have been a lot slower. If I am honest I enjoy my holidays to Goa more now than I did back in 1991 ( we found it far too quiet back then but I was a lot younger then).

Just wish I was back there now. Hope you have a great time Bigbaddad :sun2
What is it the aussies call the Brits

Is it "Whinging Poms "?

Where the H*ll they get that from, I just don't believe it , do you ?
You are so lucky,I cant wait to go back. Goa is what you want it to be, I had a thoroughly miserable holiday there in 2007, last year I had the most relaxing wonderful holiday roll on November :sun2 :sun2
Bigbaddad, have a fantastic holiday and a very safe journey. Once you arrive in Goa you will forget all about the moaning and whinging ;) . I know sometimes it does get you down, and I am the same, but try not to let it bother you too much, thats what I do.
Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday when you return home.
on every forum there is moaners who generally sit at home with no social life or friends, i run a carp fishing site and we get the cyber carpers who dont even go fishing they just moan and cause hassle or try to ;)
we go on holiday to enjoy our selves and i for 1 have never had a bad holiday anywhere ! why because i make the most of everything, ok theres not enough sunbeds, well pull up a chair and interact with people or throw a towel on the sand. the taxi's are trying to rip you off well get a price before you get in if its to expensive go to the next taxi or walk that fat off from them big curries you just ate
common sense rules in life :tup
As Bob Marley said, "The sun is shining, the weather is sweet" :D - whatever is happening in Goa ignore it and have a really good time, there are worse things happening in the world compared to the changes in Goa so ENJOY YOURSELVES!!!!!!!! :tup Fizz
Bigbaddad, go and ENJOY your hols. Just because certain people (myself included) have decided to give Goa a wide berth dosen't mean that everyone has to. I think for a couple of weeks it's still probably a decent place for a bit of lovely winter sun, I think when you live there long term you can't ignore the politics etc but for a couple of weeks that really shouldn't bother you. Go, have, fun, get a tan, eat excellent food, don't worry about the price of things, enjoy the fabulous sunsets and relax....oh, and have a honey bee for me...I do miss the honeybee :rofl
GFF xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.