America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi MilleMiglia,

We were only in Texas for a few days in 2005. The only other place we went managed visit apart from the Stockyards and the race track was a place called Grapevine. Its just off HWY114 just north of DFW airport.

It has a lovely Historic Downtown district, a mall outside of town and a number of vineyards and wineries where you can do wine tasting.

There is a steam train that ran from the Stockyards to Grapevine and back but when we there it only ran on Saturdays and Sundays.

The stockyards are worth a visit but I missed out on the rodeo being at the race track.

Sure you will enjoy

Martin.
I have been many years ago, but unfortunately can't remember much about it. I remember walking through it, and going into a few places, but other than that I can't advise. I remember it being cold though - but we were there in November and it got very suddenly cool in the evenings. I don't know about in summer - I'd guess it would be pretty hot there!
we were there,for a couple of days in oct 05.it is definately worth a visit.one thing i can remember,is that it was very very quiet at night.
we went to southfork,from there,which i really enjoyed.also didn't see the rodeo,but can't remember the reason why!!!
tracy
I've been to the Stockyards - and Billybobs. Was slightly dissapointed with Billybobs - if fact we had a better time at the bar opposite called the white elephant - enjoyed the bands there far more and the beer was cheaper!

We didn't manage to go to a Rodeo as off peek (we went in november) they are only on a Saturday night and we stayed Sun/Mon. We did do the steam train to grapevine though - been on much nicer ones in the UK though. Wouldn't go on it again.

Make sure you watch the cattle parade every Monday - a sight to be seen. They also do lessons in roping steers etc down in the stockyards - or you can just watch as we did. There have a caravan that sells beer!

Risky's BBQ was fabulous - great ribs.

Have fun in Forst Worth. We also did 4 days in Dallas and 5 days in San Antonio which we loved.
Hi MilleMiglia

I have lived in Fort Worth for several years, and can recommend spending a couple of hours at the stockyards. It gives you a feel of the old Fort Worth ! They do a twice daily cattle drive at 11:30am and 4:00pm which only lasts a few minutes but it's nice to see longhorns ! There are some Western shops there, a few restaurants and bars. Billy Bobs is located at the stockyards too but I agree with a previous poster, I like the White Elephant saloon better. You could spend late afternoon there, eat there, have a few drinks and then head on to the rodeo.

They have rodeos most weekends at the Cowtown Coliseum which is at the Stockyards, and you can buy tickets right outside.

Fort Worth has several museums and art galleries. It has a great zoo, and the Botanic Gardens are lovely. All these places are within a few miles from eachother in the "cultural district".

The downtown area is a really nice and (I think) a safe place to go in the evenings. There are some great restaurants, bars, clubs and a few shops. Sundance Square is the main area there and it's a nice place to wander around too.

If you have children Burger's Lake (not far from downtown) is like an old-fashioned watering hole and a great place to beat the Texas heat !

It will be hot in July ! Last year was a relatively "cool" summer with not many days over 100F but usually in July the temps are around 100F, but there is very little humidity and everywhere is air conditioned of course !

Have a great time !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.