Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Dan not been this year but sure will still rely on signature. Must admit tended to take money out at cashpoint rather than using credit card last year
Hi Dan, It was a mixture of the two. Some restaurants had chip and pin others it was signature, some only took cash.
Laurence
Where in Turkey are you staying?
We have been to Turkey several times and all the supermarkets (Gima, Migros etc) will ask you to put in your pin number when making purchases. The same goes for the larger shops and jewellers. Not sure about local restaurants because we have always paid in cash. (which they mostly prefer) Take as much cash to last you for the duration of your holiday as you can. It would be a shame to spoil your holiday if you have to rely on drawing money on your card.
Sorry to put a damper on things but most countries now work on the "chip and pin" method for card payments.
hope you have a great holiday.
mibur
Thanks guys.

The good news is I won't be relying on it. Have my cash and travellers cheques, but always take my VISA / Mastercard with me - "just incase". Not to spend on clothes or food or anything, but more if we need to book an early flight home or something.

But then again, I could always just take my switch, and if need be, could get someone to pay some money into my bank - "if need be".

Guess i'm worrying over nothing. Don't plan on using it!

Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated.

Dan
Dan do you have online banking for your credit card? If you do there's a chance you can display your pin online, just in case.

Catherine x
REALLY?!

I do!

I'll go check...
Can't see anything :(
I know for def you can do it with Egg and Virgin (MBMA) but HBOS you can't. Oh thats a b ugger.
I'm with Natwest....

I'm going to have to in at dinner time and beg.

Thanks for the help :)
:idea: I have an idea!!!

Ask the bank to send you out a new pin number, this normally comes within the week.

Do you have someone you trust checking the house etc? That way if it situation comes where you really really need the pin you could get that person to open the envelope and tell you the pin.

You can always change the pin at a cash machine when you get home so that person doesn't know it either!

God I'm a genius sometimes, rofl :lol:
That's quite a good idea actually..can't say I would of thought of doing something like that :roll: well done scottishmum!

3MIN3M4
Please be really careful if you insist on using your credit card in turkey. We had a near miss last year in ar etaurant in icmeler. We asked if they accepted cards before we ordered they said that they prefered cash but did take c/c . when it came to paying they told us that both my husbands card and mine we no good so we ended up paying them in cash. the next night we trired to use the card in a restaurant which had taken it before and again it was rejected. When we got home the bank was trying to contact us to tell us that they had blocked our card as the restaurant in icmeler had tried to put £ 40,000 on our card instesd of £ 40. Apparently this is a well nown scam to make the customers pay cash as they assume the banks will block customers cards but i shudder to think what might of happened if we had had a higher credit limit and the transaction had gone through.It hasnt put us off turkey in any way but now we just take cash
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.