Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Hi
I returned from Gambia on sunday. We noticed that prices have risen a hell of alot, not only because of the weak pound but also from the bussiness's putting up their prices. It is cheaper in America and alot of things we would have got here cheaper!! We stayed at Palm Beach Kotu and they were offering 37 dalasi but we went to the shop called shop and buy next to the restaurants by the Badala and they would usually give 2 dalasi more or if your travelling to serrekunda the western union gave a very good rate.
Hope you have a good holiday and if there are any other questions just give us a shout!!
Nikkie
Hi Nikkie,
Thanks for the input but can you be a bit more specific ?
Typical meal price ? Drinks ? That sort of thing. We are debating either Gambia or Goa in the next month or two but if Gambia has risen substantially in price we'll be off to Goa as there was already a big difference in Goa's favour last year last year and so far the increase in cost there is still minimal.
Thanks Dave
Hi Dave
Prices for food and drink were mostly the same in the hotel and ouside it, where as in Goa it is usualy cheaper to eat out. For their beer julbrew your looking at 120 dalasi a glass of wine between 60-80 a bottle 400-600 soft drinks 35 diet 45!!, food wise a main meal was usually about 200-350. While there we only found 1 place that has reduced its prices. Bamboo Garden in fajara its chinese, we went there 6 years ago and found its standards and prices were still very good. We went to the clay oven and it worked out £16 each for a main meal and drinks.
We chatted to various waiters and they said bussiness is down so theyve put prices up-it made us chuckle a little.
Oh another thing we noticed was that when we went 6 six years ago Gambia seemed advanaced compared to Goa but now we'd say Goa is more Advanaced!!
I hope that helps a little bit more
Cheers Nikkie
Thanks Nikkie,
I get the picture ! Having recently been to Goa I was contemplating a cheap last minute deal to Gambia. There are obvious advantages over Goa, not least travel time and time zone. However, the picture you paint suggests that it could work out considerably dearer than Goa, so , despite a reluctance to revisit a destination too quickly for fear of repetitiveness, I think we will stick to Goa again this time.
Thanks for your help
Dave
HI, I returned december ,yes prices are well up,try some restaurants on the kotu highway, the amsterdam dolphin just across from palma rima hotel is reasonable julebrew 25,snack and meals 50 to 250 dalasi,if your in a shop cafe buy your drinks (spirits) by the bottle or half bottle,Sennigambia area does reasonable breakfasts and lunches ,,stay away from newly built restaurants, unless your prepared to pay twice as much as the older ones.guide if their is no menu shown with prices stay away,found these cafes double the cost +, its almost happy afternoons each day in sennigambia,
I agree with Dave prices are going sky high, but heres the catch ,most businesses are cutting the staffs wages,
Someday this country will learn a little about economics, Taxi drivers were reducing prices all of them commented their has never been so few british and its them that keep them in business seemingly
still its a nice country,Paradise if you have cash, cheers maxie :smokin :fly . oh off again in a month or so hope its a little better
HI exchange rate is 35 today, thats a 20 dalasi drop on 2 seasons ago, february is good there,but gets a little warm some days you can feel the heat coming, cheers maxie :fly :fly
We have booked for Gambia but to hedge against prices we have opted to go on an half board deal. Shame as we prefer to eat out in different places.
Anyone know how much a Taxi from the airport to Kotu is likely to be ?
Plus 120 dalasai for a Julbrew. Are you sure ? That's nearly £4 !
Outside the hotels expect to pay between 30 and 50 delassi a bottle of Julbrew. :sun2

We will be there in a weeks time ;)
HI ,You will be asked to pay 500+ dalasi,the fare is 350 plus tip or 400 if you wish. do not agree to more than this amount!!! make any extra a tip, thanks cheers maxie,PS yellow taxis usually the best only my opinion, before you leave ask the taxi you use normally for a price,let him tell you his price, then tell him the fare,have heard of really awfull prices being paid. :) , there is a board near the sennigambia hotel with green taxi prices, these are a total rip off,never pay more than these for yellow cabs,these are taxed insured and drivers have licences,not all drivers have sat tests (both green and yellow cabs have drivers who bought there licence)
taxi mots are do the wipers and lights + horn work if so they are ok... I used to be a mechanic and many cars scare me ,but you only live once :) :)

PPS just read the 125 dalasi for a julbrew if you are asked for amount this leave it and walk away , price is 25 max, remember no price list dont use the place ,my opinion agin maxie away on 23rd whoopppeeee
  • Edited by maxie 2009-02-17 18:37:56
Thanks for the information Maxie.
Interesting reading all this as I am off to Gambia for the first time on 15th May.

I generally like to use local transport etc. Don't know if anyone knows anything of those.

As regards prices-- what about in Bajul? Or even in the markets. Surely the place where locals may eat or have a snack cannot be at the inflated prices suggested in this thread?

I will base myself at the African Village Hotel in Bakau. I am on a B/B basis but am considering paying £56 extra for H/B. £8 an evening meal. Obviously I am hoping the meals in the hotel are OK as it is a 'budget' sort of hotel!

regards,

Pete

Nearly forgot. What is the size of the beer we are talking about. Hopefully a 500ml bottle!
also posted under the other topic !
I have just read your comment about being a budget hotel. Shame you didn't opt for the one we stayed in which is fabulous value. I heard poor reports for the food in other budget hotels but not anyone I spoke to had stayed at the African Village.

Hi Pete,
Yes we took the h/b option and we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was at the Sunset Beach. The dining room lacked a bit of atmosphere but we were grateful to be indoors as when we were there there was a cold wind blowing most evenings and many eating places are outdoors. We too paid £8 per head which we thought was excellent as you had as much to eat as you wanted from a self service buffet. The downside is that it gets a bit repetitive eating in the same place every night for a fortnight and by choice we would prefer to eat out for a change of scene. When we checked up on local prices they were not as expensive as we had been led to believe and you could probably get a 2 course meal without drinks for £10-12 if you avoid expensive items on the menu. The price of a 330 ml bottle of Julbrew beer in the local supermarket was 35 d, our hotel charged 50d for a pint, the Senegambia 80 d. We took a couple of bottles of gin from duty free which saved a lot as gin in the local supermarket was more expensive than here at home. A can of Schweppes tonic was 25d. A word of warning though... don't try and take more than your duty free limit into the Gambia as they will confiscate it. It's the only airport I have been to that scans you bags on arrival but not on departure ( although they do a visual check when you leave).
The duty free at Banjul has a litre of Larios Gin at £6. Gordons £9. and they now accept credit cards too.
You have no need to worry about being out at night , it's very safe but you will be approached by runners from the different restaurants asking if they can take you there. They get a commission for each customer. Before making a final decision you need to find out if there are alternatives locally to eating in the hotel. Getting taxis everywhere is expensive. We have decided if we go again we will try to negotiate a half board deal with the hotel for one week and do our own thing the other.
Hope this has been useful to you. There doesn't seem to be much input into this section of the HT forum.
Have a good holiday.cheers Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.