Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Elaine and welcome :wave
In Tunisia they use they 2 round pin sockets ... European ones.

Can't tell you about Houda or Skanes as I've only really stayed in Sousse, PEK and Hammamet.
Hi there Elaine 2016 we can recommend the Hotel Bonaparte for a great meal and there is a disco downstairs for after the meal if you wish. Clean, plenty of food and a great night. It is in Sousse near the English Pub.
Hi again Elaine,
I would take the two types of adaptors with you as we needed both in the same room in our Hotel in Skanes. Entertainment is usually within the hotels and can vary from one Hotel to the other. We have stayed at the Hotel Saadia quite a few times now and the entertainment is great. There is also a disco that opens at one pm. If you travel anywhere at night ask the hotel to book a taxi there and book them for on the way back so as to be definately safe. From Skanes to Sousse the charge is about 5 Dinars and the price goes up after 8.30pm to about 9 Dinars don't forget to barter it is all part of the fun of Tunisia and the great people there. Have a great holiday.
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice!

32 days to go!

Elaine :P
hi Elaine,

We stayed at the houda last october and had a great time.

Sorry there are no hairdryers in the rooms, so you'll have to take a travel one.

The hotel is great, right on the beach, and there is loads to do.

The only thing is, is there is not much out of the hotel, but there are always taxis waiting by the gates. Or you could take the bus, which we did to Monsatir.

When we were there, we went on the Pirates and Gladiators trip and on the camel trip, both very enjoyable and would recommend them both.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Jane
Hi Janelouise :yipee

Thanks for answering my question! Did you book your trips privately or with a rep? Whats the pirate trip like? Is there toilets on board? (Strange question I know) :oops:

Cheers

Elaine x
Hi Elaine,

we booked our trips through our First Choice rep and they felt they were both good value for money.

The Pirate and Gladiator trip started with a coach to El Jem collusseum where you stayed for about an hour and then you went to a mosaic museum.

You then went by coach to meet the pirate ship. Once on board, you were given lunch which was sausage, fish and chicken and salad, with fruit and a drink. A lady then did bellydancing, and you could join in with some dancing if you wanted to.

You then sailed for about an hour and then they stopped and you could swim, fish or sunbathe if you wanted to. And then you returned to the land and the coach. It was a very enjoyable trip.

There were toilets on board, but must admit, I didn't need to use them. (not a silly question at all :shock: )

If you have anymore questions, ask away.

Jane
Hey Janelouise

Thanks again for answering my questions! That trip sounds brill! I will def book on to that one! Is their any other trips worth a mention?

Cheers

Elaine
my husband and i are taking our three kids to tunisia for the first time. they are 5, 3 and 2.we are worried about the toilets. can you use and flush toilet paper? do the toilets have seats like british ones? we leave inabout three weeks so any replies would be appreciated. :) :) :offtop
In the hotels you'll find that the plumbing is just like at home and, yes, unlike Greece, you can flush the paper away. However, away from the hotels it's going to be a bit more hit and miss. A lot of places, especially those frequented by tourists will have 'sit-on-and-flush' ones like home but as an ex-French colony, you will still find a fair number of the older, French-style 'hole-in-the-ground' type ones that you need to squat over. Some will be flushable, others won't; some will take the paper and others will ask you to place it in a bin. However, I'm assuming that with three children 5 and under, that you won't be planning to do too much travelling around off the beaten track so you should be OK and will find the plumbing arrangements pretty familiar.

SM
Just to add to what SMa has said - always carry some tissue around with you as toilets outside of the hotels seem never to have any (they use a water pipe which you'll see on most of their loos :yikes ) - they are also not always the cleanest in my experience, but it does vary from place to place. If any of your kiddies are still in nappies then you may have trouble finding appropriate changing areas in cafe, restaurant and other public toilet facilities.
Forgot about the toilet tissue issue :) I'm so used to not finding tissue in any public toilets - even here - that I take it as read that you always need to have a packet of paper hankies in your handbag! Likewise, when on holiday I always carry a small pack of antiseptic wipes with me, you never know when they'll come in handy, and because you can use them to wipe more than just your hands I prefer to carry them than these antiseptic hand lotion thingies.

SM
thankyou for your very helpful replies sma and zahra. I'm so relieved!
going in 28 days...........please pray for good weather for us! i didn't know march was bad weather season (should have checked i know) but all in all i hope the resort and hotel are nice enough to stay at for the entire week and there is a little bit of sunshine so kids can wear their new shades, sandals and hats!!! Oh does anyone know if there is a kids pool at yasmine beach hotel?
Thanks Round Good link, however it doesn't say what months the things run and stuff, like i'm going off-peak in march and i want to know what i can do then with the kids. But it was useful to know about the buffet food we have all inc and what times of the day we can get them. You mentioned the supermarket close-by...just wondered..do you get fresh milk? my kids have bottles with fresh milk and i have been wondering where i could buy that. I'm hard to please ain't i ? ;)
Hi surj

You can buy everything you need in the supermarket, as most stuff seems to be imported. Regarding milk, I shouldn't see it being a problem purchasing fresh milk in the supermarket, but the hotel itself will have plenty of fresh milk, definetely at breakfast time, so maybe you can stock up then.

Regarding things running, there'll be trips to various places, all inclusive usually will mean access to the restaurants for the 3 main meals and maybe there'll be a snack buffet during the times the restaurant is closed. Food is pretty cheap out there so during that time maybe you'll want to venture out to the restaurants around the resort if you feel peckish.

I think the only thing you wont have is water sports but the hotel will put on things for your entertainment. There's always something going on in yasmine hammamet. I'll be surprised if you get the kiddies to leave the amusement park because mine didn't want to go and I felt obliged to try every ride that would fit an adult.
I've never had a problem getting fresh milk in Tunisia and the colour coding is the same as ours for whole milk, semi skimmed and skimmed.
hi peeps, i leave in 6 days! still not sure of the weather...i go to accuweather but i don't understand how when i look one day it says it will be sunny and then i look the next day at the same thing it says thunder storms-help! also, shud i just take about 1oo dinars from here just incase or is it okay to get it all changed there? i dont do traveller cheques...finally does anyone know how to say man and woman as i want massages but by females only and i don't want the language barrier to make me feel uncomfortable.
Hi again Surj, Whatever you do don't bother taking 100 dinars from the UK. Although you can get them over here, despite the information often provided, you really don't get a good rate and it is better to change money once you get there. There is a bureau de change at the airport. If you have already got a transfer with your company you won't need cash until you get to the hotel, especially if you manage to hang on to your luggage and don't let the porters at the airport grab it. If you aren't quick enough for that then 50p or £1 sterling will be accepted as a tip. I think you will find that it will be a lady who does your massage as it is a Moslem country and it would not be considered respectable for you to be massaged by a man. Have a lovely time - not long now :smile:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.