Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
oh dear- that sounded like the stuff of nightmares.
I hope the rest of the holiday went better. ( Isn't Kingstork brilliant :) )
Hi Fiona
It was a nightmare, when I told Lin b about it at one of the meets she told me of another horror story, same dentist and she said tat she is suprised no one has complained about him on here before. But I had read reports that he was good and I only wanted a part denture and I was already terrified of dentists.

Lots more to tell just typing it up :tup
I have told my friend that this dentist is highly recommended on here and she was intending to go there in November but now I will tell her about your experience with them. If you are already scared of dentists this must have been like a nightmare for you and must have taken some getting over. Hope the rest of your holiday was ok, Im looking forward to the next part
Here goes again.

We had already decided the 1st week we would chill. By the Friday OH had got a very
Bad case of delhi belly, we couldn't go anywhere because he couldn't go 10 steps without him needing the loo. This carried on for 3 or 4 days and we had bought every type of medicine and tablets from the chemist. Raj the receptionist was as concerned as I was and said that OH should go see the doctor across the Road . We went and saw a very good Doctor who was very thorough. He gave him a couple of courses of tablets and some good bacteria which had to be taken for the rest of the holiday. He said that if he was not improving after 3 to 4 days he should go back and he would test him for dysentery he was that ill. I just could believe it. Luckily it cleared up and he started to eat. Overall he had it for about 10 days and it wasn't nice at all. We were well into the second week so too late to book the Taj trip. Anyway OH discovered Nirvana and made up for lost time, we met lots of really nice people there and had some great evenings.

We tried a few restaurants in the first couple of weeks not many due to OH being ill but here they are.

Waves very good and reasonable priced.
Maggies not very good at all.
Rice Bowl was recommended by arrond excellent.
Kingstork, very nice. Try the butter garlic tiger prawns with his home made potato salad, delicious.
Nirvana was IMO Just ok However the Pizza was very nice.
Plantain leaf excellent

Anyway after the disastrous couple of weeks we tried to venture out a bit and guess what. OH had an infected tendon in his foot and it blew like a balloon and he couldn't walk on it. Off to Dr Tito again for antibiotics and other painkillers. That was another 5 days laid up not doing much.

In between all this we met OAP her husband and their 2 friends. They were a great laugh at breakfast. OAP was in the next room to us at Kingstork and it was really nice to meet them all.

In the last week we managed to try a good few nice places to eat,
Unfortunately the night we went to I95 was when OH wasn't fully fit and he hardly touched his food and I didn't like what I had. A bit on the expensive side I thought.

Chef Souymen was very nice one of the better meals we had

Le Jardin My favourite although we only got there once and it was only across the Road from the Kingstork.

Floyds in Candolim excellent tandori

Swedish restaurant Candolim cant ever remember the name excellent as always

Bistro very good

Paid a visit to Ninos Nook one afternoon and left OH there with a few Old dears, thought to myself he cant get himself injured and went off shopping. On my return there he was head pouring with blood and all these old dears faffing around him. He had got up to say goodbye to someone and smacked his head on the tree trunk that runs through the middle of the tables. How can you not see a tree trunk?????
We go back to the hotel and Raj cant believe it. He gets the firstaid box out and tells OH he got it just for him. He did make us laugh.

During the 4 weeks there we made 2 of the meetups one at Teema and 1 at Lazydays. We went to Mike Richardsons quiz twice OH had the bug the 1st time and he wasn't well at all but we still enjoyed it. It was great putting a face to names finally. Oh we also met at Bonos shack once that was good and lots turned up.

Taxi Taxi
Well like most the worst were the Taxi drivers, it has gone beyond a joke overcharging and arrogant when questioned about it. In the end I told them what the fare was and if they didn't want it we walked or took the bus. Once we used a taxi outside Kingstork to Nerul and we weren't sure were we were going. He overcharged us and we didn't use any of them again outside the hotel and I told them why we would not use them. We actually used a taxi driver who works from the Summerville and I would ring him when we needed him which worked out well. The look on the faces of the ones parked outside the Kingstork when he started picking us and dropping us off. We used to use the same taxi driver each year but he was found dead last year under suspicious circumstances, he was a really nice person, drove like a lunatic but was dead funny.

Beach Sellers & Beggars
AT Dreamers shack the owners don't really let the sellers bother you which is good. The amount of beggars has drastically increased and they were a bother.

Corruption
We saw it all and now the people who take from the sellers have no fear of doing so in public in front of all to see. Over the years they at least used to go behind the shacks to steal from the sellers but now they don't even do that. What does that tell you. They themselves must be lining someones pockets and so it goes on and on.

Trips
We didn't get to do any but done a lot in the past so wasn't that bothered. Did want to see the Taj though but we will do it one day.

I'll finish off later
Just a little more hope you are not bored
Jetti
OH had a dodgy tooth towards the last 10 days and used Marigold up past the Kingfisher Villa
Had a polish and a crown and a white filling brilliant and all for £70
Definitely not bored, just had a good laugh picturing your OH and the tree trunk
thanks, will make a note of that, must be good if he didnt have any further mishaps there :rofl
Jetti
It became a standing joke at the hotel. There was always something wrong with him. Soon as we got back to the hotel each day Raj put the firstaid box on the counter ready for him :que
Hmmm. think he enjoyed the attention too much, all those old dears faffing round him etc :rofl
Tom was a walking disaster waiting to happen and still couldn't use safe after a month :rofl :rofl Betty - have you had your new frocks on ? [ I keep forgetting to ask you]. Great trip report, keep laughing when I think about Tom at Breakfast.
Nearly forgot to mention"¦ One day we got back to the room and the fridge had thawed. I said to OH when you take the key fob out of the electric socket all the electric must go out so I said we will leave the fob in and just take the key. I said with his luck he'll lose it so I will keep it and guess what I lost it. Trying to explain to Raj that I had lost the key was embarrassing enough but when he told me that the fridge stayed on when the fob was taken out as it was on a different circuit I could of died. My OH was cracking up laughing. Anyway Raj said we couldn't be trusted with another key but the next day Stanley brought us a new one and didn't even charge us for it. Raj was just winding me up to see me cringe.

Finally

On the last day we had the taxi coming at 10:30 to pick us up for the airport. OH went down to Nirvana to say goodbye to Anil who is a brilliant barman. I did my tipping to all and sundry at the hotel. Taxi arrived on time and we said our goodbyes and thanked Stanley and everyone for a lovely stay and it really was. They just couldn't do enough for you and made you feel very welcome.

We arrived at the airport and checked our bags straight through to London on Jet airways. Once in Mumbai we went gallivanting around in a little old taxi. We had a fantastic time although Mumbai is unbelievably poor in places and we saw things that I think will stay with me forever. If anyone needs to kill 5 or 6 hours transiting then its well worth it. We went as far as the gate of India. We had a good walk round and there were thousands of people there. I have got to say the people were fantastic.

On the way back to the airport we stopped at a bar for a well needed couple of beers. All eyes turned (it was all men) and they watched as I drank my beer. Next thing you know we have plates of nuts crisp and sliced vegetables put in front of us, complimentary. It was like a whole in the wall dark and dingy but the service was second to none. OH turns to me and says ‘I bring you to all the best places' we said our goodbyes and went on our way.

Well that's all I can think of
Hope it was Ok and not to boring
:wave: :wave:
Hi OAP
Yes had them on a couple of times over my indian trousers ery comfy
I forgot to mention about the tailors
I will add it on later
Great report, not boring at all - your poor accident prone hubby, sorry did make me laugh :rofl
Hello Ginlizzy, good report. I stayed at the MD in Feb. last year (first time in Goa). Could not go this year but was thinking of going back next, although all the recent bad reports are bringing back the bad memories of the filth, taxi drivers & overpowering beach sellers etc. & i am now having second thoughts. I also had a mild bout of food poisoning (because that's what delhi belli is after all), which thankfully only lasted 2 days, & i saw others suffering as well. My question is, do you honestly think going 5000 miles for a holiday is worth it if there is a good chance of being ill for 10 days of it. I would hate the thought of my wife getting as ill as that.
I hope your husband has recovered now.
Davidh
Lots of people get it but most not quite as bad, he was just unlucky. If he got it again I think the doctor would be the 1st port of call not the chemist as we did. It is a great destination and yes I would say the journey is worth it. I didnt get it like he had it. I had a dodgy tummy one day near the end of the holiday but nothing to bad.

Certain things have gotten worse but if you read the forum and take the advise thats given you can overcome most of the downs
What a holiday! You have to laugh. Raj also took me to hospital and to the chemist. He was brilliant.
Raj nearly moved in with Ginlizzy and Tom - he was in their room more than he was in reception. :rofl
We all went to Super Tailor {about 10 of us in Kingstork] on Ginlizzy's recommendaion. When she got her dresses back she came in our room to show us them - SHE WAS NOT IMPRESSED. By that time we had all been to put orders in :( Anyhow after some tooing and froing she was HAPPY and so were the rest of us, just a few blips to sort out . Still laughing thinking of her standing in that new frock [ or sack] :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.