Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Girly questions!
30 Posts
My wife used to take both hairdryer and straighteners and they do work with a travel plug BUT she has never ever actually used them (well she might of once but doesn't bother taking them now).

She just ties her back. This isn't just because she can't be bothered, she says it's a bit pointless anyway because the heat makes her hair go curly again in a few minutes anyway.

You can buy bikinis but (and this kind of answers your next question) the average Indian is smaller than the average European. So without trying to be rude it depends on your size. I don;t think they have sizes like 10, in fact often there isn;t a size or even a label

I once heard a stall holder who was holding his hands apart like "the fish that got away" telling an American husband and wife that there wasn't a bikini in the whole of Goa that would fit around his wifes bottom. This obviously came across a lot ruder than it was intended, all he meant was that they simply didn't make bikinis in that size but hadn't quite mastered English enough to say it without offending. It was like somehting out of the Fast Show. The Americans didn't seem to see the funny side of it though.

Try everything on because the size labels sometimes just happen to be the ones they had available and don't actually bear any resemblance to the size of the garment.

You can get loads of shoes there for next to nothing. Lots of sandaly type things.
Thanks Fritz, you are an honorary girl!!!

I'll prob still take my hair stuff and then do what your wife does - although I'm gonna have to use it all once or I'll get "I told you so" from the boyf!

This sounds bad, but I really hope I hear a shop owner say that to an American when I'm over there, it'll be too funny!!

I've no problems with trying everything on in the shop - and then buying it all!!!

Thank you very much for the tip on sizes though, you have prevented a possible strop!!!
Wouldn't risk the bikini - ususally have a good supply at Manchester aiport at Accessorize.
Hi Goldilocks

I always take me beloved GHD's I think I have used them once in the last three times I have been and that was to come home. I normally tie my hair back as it can get quite breezy at night and I would end up eating most of it :? I'm still taking them this year (I also found they take longer to heat up over there)

I agree with the bikinis a couple of mine snapped at the back last year (too many kingfishers I think)and I couldn't find many out there so had to have mine nicely tied at the back and make do with what I had, have a look at the airport (next have there summer directory out too!!) I love my high heels too and guess what they stayed in the suit case the first year and have stayed at home ever since.

Donna
XX
Hey Donna,

Thanks for the advise! My hair will prob be tied up most of the hol as well - but I just want to have the option!!

As for the bikini's - primark has been suggested, they are so cheap that I may as well buy quite a few - as I'm going to be enjoying kingfisher too! :lol:

Do you know if you can buy wedge sandals over there? I know the roads are meant to be quite bad, but I hate the thought of wearing flats all the time! Anyway, I fall over in flat shoes - I'm that used to wearing heels! :roll:

Goldie xx
i always take hair things and always use them ,every night in fact . i also wear wedges and kitten heels ,i know many ppl like to dress casual in shorts n stuff on a night ,but i dont ,i like to dress up ,minus too high heels ,just got a load of dressy flip flops and payed no more than £1,50 from the local catalogue shop,pair of origanal fire trap wedges cost me a fiver ,,even goa fakes cant beat that :lol: i mean who want to to a classy restaraunt in shorts :roll: ,ok the roads arnt too good but hey we are women and can walk in most things .a saturday night. too many beers and high heels in uk can be just as daunting :lol: after all my hubby fell at the waterfall last year in trainers and our friend also fell and rolled down a hill in flat shoes ,just watch youre footing 8)
Be careful of the primark bikinis they are the ones I had on and when the fastener snapped (it was the second year wearing them though) I agree with you LadyJan a few king fishers and you can walk on any surface :?
I usually go out in short (ish) skirts in the evening and girly sparkly strappy tops and don't seem to have any problems with the mossies round my ankles.

Donna
XX
If you are looking for Bikinis believe it or not Littlewoods catelogue always has a good selection in winter!
Hi don't bother buying adapters in the U.K. you can buy from the local shops in Goa a special plug that has all the U.K & U.S.A. plug openings, ie 2pin, 3pin built in and very cheap.
Hi, don't bother with your GHD's, the heat will make your hair go curly, i just either tied it back or let it go really curly and messy looking...ended up liking this look and started doing it at home. Also, heat, chlorine, saltwater and hairdryers and straightners are a recipie for killing your hair..that's my view anyway. When in Goa you will find that stuff like that doesn't matter, nobody cares what you look like and even if you are mega-vain that wil disappear for two weeks, honestly!!
Curly hair???
makes me feel young........is this the 80's again :rofl :rofl :rofl
i totally disagree ,my hair never goes curly :o how can straight hair go curly :lol: as for salt water and such ,i wash mine every night to get rid of sand salt water and greasy sun cream ,plus a trip to hairdresser week before holiday for cut n streaks ,means my hair just stays straight as it was cut ,i could suffer an electric shock or a lighting bolt and still not a kink :lol:
Ladyjan, if you had read Goldilocks's post you would have seen she stated she had curly/wavy hair....I do too so I was comparing mine to hers.....to get our hair poker straight we have to use straightners...we weren't talking about girls with naturally straight hair.
seems ive been miss understood,i never mentioned any ones name when stating that i use my straightners every night when in goa,for those with straightish hair ,yes straightners will work no need to worry about sea water and heat,i also found they took longer to heat up too :D
Hey Whiskas

Isn't it strange how you adapt to new styles that occur in Goa I did that too, liked the natural not so straight hair and kept it like it :lol:
I do take my GHDs every year but don't use them (I think it's a comfort thing he he) my hair is straight but not quite after the heat and breeze.
I too have the wavy/curly/ big hair. Definitely leave the GHD's at home as it's pointless (i have tried). I always take a hairdryer but it tends to dry before i get round to using it. You'll be so chilled out you won't be bothered only way to go is to embrace those kinks!

I got some nice glitzy wedge flip flips over there last year so you can get them. I also got some normal flip flops with a bit of a wedge which have been the most comfortable thing ever.

Definately get your bikini's at home wouldn't risk it , can't say i ever saw any decent ones ion Goa. Then again I wasn't really looking for them.
Hi rayofsunshine.

never been to goa before so this may sound a daft question BUT where will i buy flip flops etc from? ie market, flip flop shop......
Hi DonnaB, I know exactly what you mean, there was too much going on to be honest to think about straightners...it was more of a mission as to how to stop my make-up sliding off my face in the heat! So throughout my holiday I went for the messy look and loved it and am doing it now at home, it saves knacking my hair with GHD's too. Went on the jungle book trip and there was a girl who had her GHD's with her and spent so much time in her mud hut GHDing her hair....how sad is that when you are somewhere so amazing!
Hey Whiskas

Now that is sad GHDs in the mud hut, I even got to the point where I only wore eyeliner and no other make up, now I would never do that at home!!!!

3 weeks on Sunday and I'll be doing it all again (Sorry had to put that bit at the end)

Donna
XX
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.