Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi, Time to chase Balkan, it does not show on the Varna Aiurport site. Tonyt. just had another check, flights on the 9th, 16th, and 23rd June not listed on Site.
If you try to 'book' a holiday for that date on the Balkan site it comes up as Newcastle instead of Glasgow.

Definitely time to contact Balkan.

Patka
bad news
I have just phoned Balkan and they say there are no Friday flights from Glasgow in June. The woman was unable to say when it changed. There are only Sunday flights now.
I had the same situation with my flight from Birmingham on Thursday 10th August. There are now only flights on Saturday from Birmingham. When I rang Balkan they offered me a full refund or seats on the Saturday 12th flight.

Yvonne
Just checked the flights from Edinburgh to Varna on the 10July it is landing at Bourgas Airport then a 2hour transfer to Varna .Does any one know what is going on with Balkans ? June :hmmm
Hi June, reading a report today in a Bulgarian publication . Balkan Holidays have made a statement saying their bookings are down by some 4 per cent. plus I do believe quite a number of people are not going because of what is going on with "The Forgotten Fan" I read their website each day. Also Balkan are doing Hotels only so you can look to another airline for cheaper flights. Tonyt
Hi All, just been told that all passengers on Glasgow flight 30/06/06 will be flying on the Thursday to Bourgas then transferred to GS .........Balkan are totally pi**ing me off. 2yrs ago they transferred my Prestwick flight to Manchester, this is why I always book from Glasgow now ..... :evil:
Also Balkan are doing Hotels only so you can look to another airline for cheaper flights. Tonyt

Tony I'm booked into the Yavor Apartments but just after I booked this holiday last July my mate tried to get the same holiday & was told that it was not avaliable, I asked the travel agent & they phoned Balkan the assured me that all was well with my booking :?
I sympathise with you DOA.
Fiona .......I should know better by now Balkan are the pits .......but I love Bulgaria so much I just have to go ....anyway even if I did'nt my kids would kill me if I suggested going anywhere else :lol:
Well- kids have to come first! :D
Just a pity you had to find the change of flights through here first.
We've unfortunately developed two threads on much the same subject, see -

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=698639#698639

Tony, I'm sure the 'Forgotten Fan" has nothing to do with it, more a drop in tourist numbers from the UK for a number of reasons we 'dedicated' regular visitors don't take notice of.

Trying to see Bulgaria as ordinary tourists do is not easy, but we have had programs on the TV, and newspaper articles about the now very few poor hotels, and building works carrying on into the season. Over the past couple of years, building work has been a serious problem in Sunny Beach.

Then there is the situation that the first tourists arrive in early May when the season doesn't officially start until the middle of June so they find little open, then at the end of the season, the shops, bars and restaurants shut up shop about three weeks short of the last tourists going home.

Bad planning, bad management, and clearly Balkan was grossly over optimistic in relation to its 2006 flight schedules, hence the cancelled or amalgamated flights.

Then the big unknown to me, how do the costs of packages to Bulgaria compare with other destinations? Also, you could be right about the effect of the cheap air fares. Maybe separately booked accommodation + plus a cheap flight does undercut a Balkan or First Choice package?

It is a great pity, because in my opinion the Black Sea resorts are still a first class holiday destination, but bear in mind I admit to being biased.

Peter
The flights from Glasgow were probably the only good memories I have of Balkan! Had major problems with Balkan in 2004 and vowed never to use them again. Last year I travelled with Thomas Cook who were fantastic from start to finish. Going on 3rd July this year again with Thomas Cook, Glasgow - Bourgas.

Stephen
Like Peter and Tonyt i love Bulgaria have had good and bad hotels ,but still love going .The prices have shot up the past few years with Balkans ,but where i live i have still got to go with either with :sun them or Thomson as it is all down to airports so it is not an option for us to book seperate flights and accomodation.This is the first year i have heard of so much trouble with Balkans .But i will still go back June
Thursday's announcement about Bulgaria's agreement to join the ECAA, reported in the press here may, hopefully, have positive effects on future flights to Bulgaria - the possibility of greater availability & cheaper flights may make the tour operators 'pull their socks up' (we can live in hope, anyway).

Baldur
Good Morning June52, I use Balkan because they work out the cheapest for me as a solo passenger. Myself and friends use the Spice of Life At end of Brochure, we all get a double room each at No supplement and at Just over £400 for two weeks, half board inclusive of insurance(over 65) works out fine for me. I have had friends off just 18 using this offer. Tonyt
Hi again, my wife went to the travel agents today, & was met with why have you not paid the balance on your holiday yet.

The wife said once she knew what was going on with our holiday we'd pay it straight away aslong as she liked what she heard.

What she heard was your flights are still going on June 30th from Glasgow, when my wife informed travel agent that this flight was off & even the Balkan website ain't showing it ......she was told wait for it .....
your flight will be going out from Glasgow on 30th June now please pay your balance, she told them she'd come down on Monday to pay it but only if she had some gaurentees about our holiday that or a full refund of our deposit .

Stephen
stephen
even Balkan are saying there are no flights anymore!! Poor knowledge from the agents. all they have to do is call it up on the screen.
Hi again, well that's it confirmed we have been moved onto the Glasgow - Varna flight on Sunday 2nd July better than Thursday 29th June to Bourgas as some people are getting moved onto including my mate & his family ......Balkan really are a class act :? :evil:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.