Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We did Hampi with Daytrippers but you could easily do it yourself. We stayed at the Hotel Malligi in Hospet and I believe they would do all the arrangements. They do have a pretty good website with lots about Hampi so well worth a look.
Try this site for info on journey and history and maps of the area http://www.hampi.in/amaravati-express.htm
Really fancy doing this trip myself but just get too flamin lazy when I get to Goa! Maybe try it when I'm there in April :)
We did Hampi years ago with daytripper, it was in January and the weather down there was boiling hot, it really takes it out of you and slows you down. Going in April time is un-bearable, as my friend found out last season....Shaz if you plan on doing it then take some re-hydration sachets with you from the chemist....better to be on the safe side ;)
GFF xx
I second that, we did Hampi this January and it was very hot. I think April would make it unbearable.
Ah good point, will re-schedule and consider it when we go back in December :) That means being a bone idle beach bum again in April............. I feel so guilty :rofl
hi sean - did hampi on our own last year, we booked the train tickets through travel agent opposite mango grove in candolim. if you're only out there for a couple of weeks, i'd suggest you either book the train tickets before you leave the uk, or go to daytrippers or other company.

misterc
Thanks for the advice it was all very helpful. Just a little concerned about the unbearable heat now ?
I did it the first week of April , set out from Hospet 6-6-30am for morning sightseeing back to Hotel for afternoon rest , then back again late afternoon for sunset. Thus avoiding the hottest part of the day .
Thanks lassigirl That sounds like a good plan. we have booked our train tickets both ways.so we will make the most of it and find accomadation when we get there ?
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4eab7/10bfe1/
Some advice that may help choose your option.
Under your own steam is the best way to see Hampi.
The trips out of Goa, although good, tend only to give you one day sightseeing in Hampi itself, no way enough time, and your stay will be in Hospet. Staying in the bazaar in Hampi is much better in my opinion, but be prepared for "vegetarian and no alchohol" if you do.
Good luck, it's a great place to visit.
Thanks Eddie
I had actually already read your info & tips on Hampi on your virtual tourist page,whilst I was researching my own travel plans.
Very intresting & helpful . I have since booked train tickets to travel margao to hopset.
I will sort out accomadation when I get there and have a look across the river aswell. Cheers
Ta! Sean.
There are some good digs in the bazaar, but expect to pay 400/700rps per night for a double room.
Over the top i know but they have got you by the short and curlies.
Saying that they are pretty good standard.
If you stay in the bazaar, dont forget to take your passport, you have to register with the police. The office is just inside the Kings Courtyard, but the owner of the digs will tell you exactly.
If you stay over the river, a lot cheaper but standards not quite as good, but you can get a beer.
In the bazaar you can get "home brewed" gin, brandy and bacardi. It all tastes like paint stripper so would advise to give it a miss. They come disguised as a fruit cocktail, but really are awful.
Advise to catch a tuk tuk from the north side of the river to visit the monkey temple, not to be missed.
Eddie
Hi Eddie
Thanks for the advice again.We are looking at staying in the baazar The Gopi guest house looks a decent place ? We are going over the river and we plan to see the monkey temple with its 572 steps (phew).And taking your advice about the river crossing get back to the bazaar before sundown(dont fancy the swim).Why do you need to register with the police ? has it got to be both our passports or will my driving licence do ? On our return journey from Hampi will we be able to get an early taxi back to hospet station for an 6.30am train back to Goa ?
Yea Sean, taxi anytime day or night. At the top of the bazaar there is a bus park, lots of taxis hang around there, just sort one out the night before. Also you will need a tuk tuk/guide to get around the ruins. The taxi drivers are very knowledgeable about the area and will keep you informed. You certainly need one to get around, it's a vast area. What you pay is up to you, but 500/800rps is about right for a good day.
The passport/register thing is apparently because thesedays they have seen a number of out of state pickpockets and it's their way of keeping a check on who is actually in Hampi, and of course it's a way of making sure the guesthouses pay their taxes.
You will have to fill in a form just like the ones at your hotel in Goa, one for each person, so you will need all passports.
P.S. Don't forget your mozzie spray, you're never too far away from the river, so the nights can be a bit troublesome.
River crossing is by small motorboat now, so it's kinda lost the romance of crossing by coracle, but at least you keep your feet dry.
When you land at the other side, follow the path up to the guesthouses, there are always 2/3 tuk tuks hanging around to take you to the monkey temple. If not, just ask and someone will phone for one.
There is a small refreshment hut at the bottom of the climb to the temple, thats where the tuk tuk will drop and pick you up. Give yourself at least a couple of hours for the climb up/down and look around.
Please dont forget your camera and a warning.......the monkeys hold no fear and will pick your pockets and raid your bags and practically have a stand up fight with you.
Keep your valuables safe and take a bunch of bananas and bag of peanuts.
Have fun mate.
Reading this thread has made me want to return to Hampi.......Thanks Eddie :wave:
GFF xx
Thanks Eddie
Brilliant !
Your knowledge and advice will prove invaluable and is very much appreciated.We are looking forward to touring Hampi more than ever now.
Cheers :cheers (from the other side of the river of course)
Hi Eddie
We are going to stay in Calangute before our trip to Hampi.We are travelling to Margao station, we think a taxi is the best option ? The train leaves at 08.15am to Hopset.
any Idea of the distance & journey time Calangute to Margao ,given it being early morning traffic ? It may have to be an early start ? Thanks
'Bout one and half hours to station. Book your taxi night before, driver will best advise.
Enjoy the train ride........it's an experience ;)
There are plenty of wallahs on route, but take a few snacks and water with you.
Thanks Eddie

It helps to get a plan together before we leave. Looking forward to the train journey aswell some great sights I believe ! Thanks again mate
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.