Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
what you need is to got on airtel.

then as you say your no techno, neither am I.

Honest it is so SLOW 115.2kbps it is just not worth the effort if your just coming
for a holiday. internet cafes every place at pennies/hour.

lez
Lez
Thank you for that. I am coming for two months and need desperately to keep on top of my websites whilst I'm there. I will have to enquire how long it takes to get a telephone line installed. Does Goa still not have broadband?
I thought last time I visited that the internet shop next to Lawande Supermarket had it....then again, I might be wrong!!
regards
Michelle
Broadband is everywhere in Goa now,there is a wi fi pub in the centre of Calangute just above the fast food place, next to the petrol station. If you have a bluetooth 'phone and a wireless laptop you can go into Airtel main office in Panjim they will configure everything for you. costs about 400r then its is 8 rupees per day unlimited usage I found it great .Telephone line and broadband BSNL you have to go to Mapusa then local panchat. Needs loads and loads of documentation proof of ownership of property, utility bills in your name plus your local rates number, and typical Goa everything in triplicate. Airtel sim works all over india I think that would be your best bet. It is slow sometimes but remember the 5 hour time difference is what does it. Once the world markets open thats when it is slower, great at weekends and off peak. I have broadband in my flat but find the Airtel system great when travelling. If u need to know anything else be glad to help. As Lez says though there are loads and loads of internet cafes -all really fast broadband with Skype, Cameras - VOIP as well . So u have weigh up if its worth the trouble. Just for general info the whole of Goa including all the smallest villages are all having broadband installed by 2008.
Sad when we are addicted to our computers.
Maggie x
Panjim office Lester is the man a real good bloke, he starts work after 11am so no need to go early.

I told him that I had read about him in this forum "no charge sir"

lez
Yep that was wee me Lez I am soooooooooooo not technical but he was patient and charming - mind u don't think he liked me sleeping in his shop for 3 days. Only joking - it was just 2 -. Its a a bit difficult to find but if you tell anyone its next to Walls Quality Ice cream place they will direct you.. He did the lot and as you say - free of charge. Panjim only though everybodyelse I tried in Calangute and Mapusa hadn't a clue
Maggie x :wave
Thank you Maggie and Lez. I think I'll go with the Airtel option and pay you friend in Panjim a visit :D
Another very silly question....how do you use your laptop remotely? Can you use is without a telephone line. Don't laugh, I really am a technophobe :oops:
blue tooth computer or an adaptor use a blue tooth mobile phone.

lez.
Take your computer and 'phone to lester and he will tell you what you need and there is a shop near him that supplies dongles etc. Don't ask me I just buy and use it and it works

maggie x
Thank you Maggie, I have always fancied having a dongle :wink:
If you are here for any length of time,you can use a data card.I set mine up a couple of months ago using reliance.It costs 5000 rupees for the card then a monthly usage fee.Not cheap i know,but very handy if you haven't got a fixed telephone line.

jc
And it doubles up as a phone...when you aren't surfing the Internet
DAK

If you are here for any length of time,you can use a data card......reliance..... very handy if you haven't got a fixed telephone line.
Use a data card myself - only I use the Tata Indicomm one - found it to be very efficient and super quick, except on 31st Dec! Also, you can check out the pre-paid Tata Indicomm phone connections - they give you the instrument and also a data cable to dial up - worth it and quite cheap. You can get more details on their website http://www.tataindicom.com
Forgot to tell you, whereever you stay, do make sure that the place / house has got the earthing done. Once I forgot about this important point (in an old Goan house) and short circuited my computer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.