Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hello Scarlett
You will enjoy Cuba,some of the most beautiful people to meet.
We stopped in the Cayo Santa Maria hotel,the staff there were great,when we went there was in the month of May, I would not go again in this month because we were bit to death with mozzies, there is a lot of greenery around the hotel complex.
You go over a causeway ( road ) that was built to get to the cayos,has trips we went on different ones,but for a child I couldn't say.
Take with you old make up etc, razors,colouring books & crayons,any old clothes you have spare.
They have nothing so would welcome anything,but watch the weight with your luggage going out,if you do take extras.
There was one of the waitresses getting married,got nothing,my wife gave her a white dress,someone else with us gave her a pair white shoes & bag.
Then we put some money in a wallet as a present,she was in tears.
You should be okay in september,we went to Quadalavaca near Holguin in this month.
The beaches are beautiful. Enjoy
The currency is a closed currency,the exchange rates were the same at the airport & hotels in Cuba.
The head waiter in the beach bar is a great little guy.
Hello thanks for replying. Aww i cant wait everybody has said people are really nice there.

Maybe there wont be as many mosquitos in september then. We went portugal last year and i didnt see one, that was in august.

Iv heard they dont make hardly any wage and would appreciate little things. I will just leave things behind like my toiletries and some makeup.

Yes we will be careful with our weight. Our daughter gets 10 kg allowance which is good! Think we get 15kg each with thomas cook.

We are going to change our money at the hotel. Not long :) are u going on any holidays this year? enjoy
Maybe there won't be as many mosquitos in september then.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that -they are less prevalent by the sea because of the breezes than inland but September is still within the rainly season and it could get quite humid in the build up to a shower which will bring them out, especially of an evening. It would be good idea to take mozzie repellent with you just in case. Your local pharmacist can advise you re one that will be safe for the baby.

By the way - that doesn't mean that it will rain a lot, just that as the humidity builds up it will get clammy followed by a sudden, short, sharp shower followed by sunshine again and a much 'cleaner' less humid feel to the air. Within 30mins it would be hard to tell that it had ever rained because everything dries off so quickly in the sunshine. :tup

Also, do check with your GP re the recommmended innoculations. As long as the baby has had all the standard UK ones then they won't need any additional ones but it would be a good idea to check that your own and your partner's boosters are all up to date. Additional info can be found here:

http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_cu.htm

Don't get alarmed at some of the info on it - the risks are negligible to tourist staying in the big tourist hotels. I go out to Cuba most years and the kids out there are some of the healthiest and fittest I've seen (even in comparison to the UK!) and the only time I was ill, it was with food poisoning picked up on the flight out, but it pays to take care and take sensible precautions.

SM
Hi sm thankyou for the advice, i have bought avon so soft dry oil for myself and partner. Its ment to be great for keeping the mosquitos at bay :) im not sure what to get for my daughter yet though as need to see whats best.

All of us had the nessisary injections just over a month ago so thats okay. Il be careful with food too.
I cant wait to go, everybody seems to always go back to cuba :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.