Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Think you will ok on the fishing front kags52 , no shortage of boats to take you out to the deeper water as its very shallow until the reef , golf? this is CUBA and a small island at that so unless they`ve built a course since we were there its a no, as you fly in to land just try and take a look down at the island ITS SO SMALL then look at the runway and hold on tight :D .
I went Jan 09 Be ready for unusual smells its called nature. youve been to goa so you should adjust well. the tryp is built on the river feeding a lagoon set back from the beach and when the water level is low the reception area smells of swamp and your room will have had the air conditioning on for sometime before you arrive so it will smell very musty and damp just turn off the air con and open the windows and doors for a few hours it will be fine . have a couple of quid ready to tip the porters when they deliver your baggage otherwise they get the hump. food repeditive but ok, If you want the a la carte restaurants book in the first few days or you,ll miss out. service good, beach staff exellent The hotel is remote and the nearest town is at least 2 hours by car on the main land. there are other hotels along the beach. If you get friendly with the staff they may invite you to their home we didnt go but many guests do.No golf as far as I know. They are poor and most staff make the daily journey by staff coach from the mainland. Chillout, relax and enjoy. Id go back but Id like to see more of Cuba. Take a long walk along the beach to the east past 3 or 4 hotels if you like secluded beaches. The rep was a cuban guy and he was very informative loves his country and didnt push the excursions too much .Take some small items as gifts for the staff you get on with. The guys can't get fishing tackle so hooks are welcome . Gardeners will make great hats for you from palm leaves get your orders in early £5 each. bargain! Have a great time. Keith.
hi when you say small gifts what like??
where did you get the currency to tip and then by how much, what is the best tip to give to the waiters to get good drinks service??
Usually, the women appreciate simple things like hair decorations ans simple cosmetics... sort of stuff that you can get loads of for a few quid at claires or the like... also stuff like old (but wearable) clothes are much appreciated..

Change some sterling at the airport (there is a "casa" in the arrivals hall, just after baggage collection)for some single CONVERTIBLE peso bills and tip with these.. note CONVERTIBLE pesos.. don't in any way get any Cuban Pesos.. they will be useless to you

Enjoy Cuba, have a mojito or two for me!

ATB,J.
Hi all, I have booked a trip to tryp Cayo coco, but I have been Reading comments from the hotel, people have said it's dirty, the food is bad, the pool area is dirty, and the smell is very bad, these posts where put on here 2009...
Hi, I can't make the HT link work, but there are some more up to date reviews here :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g580450-d266750-r84697427-Tryp_Cayo_Coco-Cayo_Coco_Ciego_de_Avila_Province_Cuba.html#REVIEWS

It looks like they did get a lot of poor reports last year, but seems mostly better this year?

ATB,J.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.