Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi
We have always stayed at The Sol Cayo Coco next door since 2004. The Melia is 5* adults only. The Sol 4* with children.
Every visit we have had "refugees" from the Melia join us complaining about what is wrong with The Melia. 2004 we did the Thomas Cook Tour 6 stayed on in the Cayos 4 at The Sol 2 at The Melia. Every day the 2 came and complained about The Melia.
2008 October just the same a couple from Bristol very disappointed. Most significant was The Thomas Cook rep based at The Melia joined us lunch times not sure if she was avoiding moaning customers or preferrd the food at The Sol.
2009 The Sol is shut for a major re-furbishment so no escape to eat at Sol but you could walk further to The Tryp, and the quiet beach for The Sol should be empty.
I always suggest in the third world if you deduct at least one star your expectations may be more realistic. We decided as oldies whose children left home years ago we rather save money and enjoy The Sol which is a good 3* than spend more and have false expectations. If you want any more info contact me direct.
Dariusdave
PS The Melia may be better this year as some Sol Staff will be re-deployed to the Melia.
PPS Trips I have last years Thomas Cook Price list Havana overnight was 295 CUC, Dolphin 169CUC, sPEEDBOATS LOCAL WITH SNORKELLING 41CUC. I always suggest Topes De Collantes with the ancient Russian Lorries eco park etc 150CUC.
We stayed there in March 2007 and travelled with First Choice. No complaints. 5* is based on the Cuban ratings so will not be the same as other countries. The food was very good. Buffet had plenty of choice and the food was hot. The Italian was first class.
We stayed in a suite on the lagoon and it had everything we needed. Maid stocked us with water everyday and the mini bar was restocked regularly. All the staff worked very hard and were very pleasant. Sorry I can't remember what drinks were on the AI (probably because I had too many)
The Cuban bar at lunchtime was great. Freshly cooked food, plenty of wine and friendly staff along with a beautiful view. We spent longer and longer in there everyday!! But as I say that was 2 years ago, it may have changed, but I hope not. And of course, no children.
Hi Jejo

We stayed at this hotel two years ago, we had the most wonderful holiday ever, and we have travelled through the Carribean, Mexico etc. We stayed in a "normal" room which was lovely, we had friends staying in an overwater room and it to was lovely, slightly larger than ours.

We very much enjoyed the food at this hotel, always well cooked, good choice, buffet, A La Carte, and fresh made to order.

Like the poster above i can't remember which international brands were available, but i drank cocktails which were the best i've had anywhere, and also rum, they use Havana Club of course!

We found the staff to be very very friendly from the manager right through to the gardeners.

Some tips:
Take cheap toiletries to give to the staff, maid etc, things like that are very expensive in Cuba and it is better than money to them, likewise we took kids crayons, pencils, note pads etc for the staff with kids. I went to tescos at the end of summer sale and bought baby and kids clothes for 50p an item also to give out when you are out and about.
Leave all your unused toiletries sanitary items etc behind when you leave, this is always greatfully received.
Give any unused drinks from your minibar each day to the gardeners, they dont speak much english but make you little animals out of garden foliage to say thanks!

The beach here is also lovely, and private, turn right when you get to the beach and you can walk for a mile without anyone else around.

I can't remember the cost of trips, we spent 5 days touring about and only spent about £350 each and this included the flight/day trip up to Havana, speedboats, catamaran, and overnight dolphin swim.

I posted a large review when we returned, maybe one of the Mods will post a link for you??

Anything else just ask.

Katie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.