General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I think the secret of a succesful holiday with friends, is to lay some ground rules before you go. We've been away as a group of 6 friends for the last 6 years (adults only though). Before we go, we always say that once we're there, we do our own thing. We've all saved hard for our holiday so everyone should do what they want, and not feel guilty. One couple with us are really fussy eaters, so often we eat meals in separate places, bu always meet up later. However if someone decides to change plans at the last minute without warrning, well fine - see you tomorrow :D We did once have a horror 3 days with some family members, but tha was because the other couple were a "our way or no way couple" - never again.
I went on holiday with a mate when I was 20 and we came home and haven't spoke since (I'm now 41) :) She got on my wick from the minute we set foot on the plane and it just progressively got worse to the point where even hearing her chewing on a sweet drove me up the wall. We made friends with 2 girls who saved the holiday, I knew were lesbian and it didn't bother me at all but when my mate found out she made a right song and dance about it, to the point that she ignored them on the flight home. I was mad as hell with her and so disgusted with her attitude that once on home soil, I left her to it.

You'll probably be absolutely fine but if you're worried I would suggest:

IS there any chance you can say overlap a week....so that you have a week on your own and then a week with them - that way you have a week to do whatever you want to do.

Or go all together but get together beforehand and set rules before you get there, so that you don't have to spend the fortnight joined at the hip and can feel free to go wherever you want.
We've had 6 very successful holidays with a family we met6 years ago.We live miles apart and only see each other for one weekend and our 2 week holiday.Helen has the right idea to a good holiday,set ground rules before you go and it should be okay.We don't eat together unless we go out of the hotel for the day or evening and then it seems special and if we want to go on a trip we will always ask if anybody wants to come too,we will even take their sons if they want to come,T.
We've been on quite a few holidays in large groups and it's always turned out ok with no problems. As others have said, you need to lay down some rules before you go so you all know where you stand. I prefer any way to go in a group as I know if it were just my partner and kids they would drive me up the wall after a few days lol.
We holiday with friends most of the time and before we go anywhere we have set ground rules :tup Also during the day times we would do things with them on one day and do our own thing the next. However we always met up in an evening for meal times :)
i always go away well for past 6years with the same friends three of us girls we dont really get to see each other much due to being quite faraway and work children husband commitments. we have a whale of a time, we can detect straight away if one us is having an off moment.
Weve yet to have any disagreements, we normally spend the days sunbathing in our own worlds magaine books ipods so dont really talk, go on annual boat trip , save most of our chatting for evening over dinner and with few too many vino`s or cocktail`s. :cheers roll on sunday when we go :D
I have been on holiday with the dive club a few times when there have been over 20 of us including family members etc..and each time, we have all done out own thing..and other than on the dive boat..if we met up we met up..if we didn't then we didn't..it was no biggie.

I have also met up with friends on holiday who have travelled out a few days before/after us..and other than making specific plans to spend a couple of days together..again we did our own thing. (although we are going on a 4 day break to Rome later this year together..)

There is not any way in any christendom I would be able to spend an entire holiday with friends..it would do my skull in. I often like time on my own when I am holiday with Rob and the kids..especially when looking round owt historical.

I agree with the others..have a set of ground rules..
Thanks you lot, much appreciated, completely agree about the ground rules, and, to be honest, i'm sure the other family don't want to spend all their time with us !!
We are all getting together soon to flick through some brochures, and stuff, mind you, that might be another problem as to who wants to go where, how much to spend on the holiday, which hotel, yada, yada, blimey, am nearly talking myself out of this one now !!
ta for the input though :tup
I'm the opposite - never holidayed with friends and never would. Husband and our two children only - once went to Center Parcs with my sister-in-law and her kids, and that was enough for me!
Ive just come back from my first holiday with friends. We did have our moments (me included) but managed to get over it and get on with it. Spent a lot of time together because our kids wanted to be together but towards the end of the week, we did do some stuff on our own. I did have some issues with the behaviour of her child at times, mine would copy and get told off for doing it but other one didnt :que which did annoy me but hey ho, we all deal with our kids differently and im sure there were times she felt like that about me and mine. We did come back still good friends though so it couldnt have been that bad ;) and I have to say, we did have some brilliant nights out which made up for all the "moments".

As long as you set ground rules before you go, im sure it will be fine.
Usually go away with friends,normally one couple but on occassions 2 couples.
We always have the same ground rules!!...No offence to be taken if anyone wants to go somewhere or do anything different to the others,and at meal times we always ask the waiter for seperate bills,this saves the hassle of splitting bills and thinking it is unfair as someone has had more to eat or drink than someone else.At one or two of our favourite eateries we are known as couples A,B,and C.
This may not work for everyone,but we have not fell out yet :) :cheers Paula
In 2007 we met a couple in Cuba and have been best friends ever since.
In 2008 we all went to Jamaica for our silver wedding, her 50th and his 60th birthday. We had a ball. Last year we went to Lanzarote to a villa we have stayed in many times. Again an excellent holiday. We are all going back to the villa this September and then going to Cuba next March for their silver wedding.
We have had seperate holidays in between as well.
It is just an unspoken agreement that we can go our own ways whenever we want. Sometimes my friend and I go for walk and a glass of wine in the afternoon and leave the men 'napping' under a palm tree lol. or just browse the shops. We don't always eat together in the evening but quite often we do and if we are self catering we always split the cost down the middle. When we go all inclusive we quite often go the the buffet and they will visit an a-la-carte.
We enjoy each others company as we don't see them often (dont live near) and so far there has been no misunderstandings or problems. So much easier when it's all adults!
:hols :sun2 :sun2 :sun2 :hols
I think friends who you meet on holiday are usually better holiday companions than friends from home.
We have met up with people we have met on abroad and have some great holidays but last year friends came with us and said they would do their own thing.
We thought it would be fine as they dont like the same things as us such as walking and a couple of hours on the beach.etc
Unfortunately they stuck to us like glue and I was glad when it was time to come home.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.