Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
2. We are staying at the Golden Star Apartments which seem to have very mixed reviews (people either love them or hate them from what I can see!). I am not expecting a palace for the deal I got but I do want somewhere which is clean with friendly helpful staff (not bothered if I have a small room etc, or they look dated). And somewhere you can get a sun lounger at a reasonable time in the morning (not 8am!!). Has anyone stayed there or heard feedback on the resort?

We stayed here 2 years ago and found it very clean, we had a 1 bed apartment with a side sea view, nice to sit on balcony and watch the beach. I'm sure there will be plenty of sunbeds in May we went end July/Aug and were ok at 10 am ish. Nice snacks from the bar/restaraunt by pool. You can also use the facilities at the sister hotel The Rising Star next door (many more sunbeds but more children).

3. I would like to hit Ayia Napa a couple of times for a good night out and also go to the Waterworld park there. Are there plenty of buses? Where would I catch them from and how much would I expect to pay? If not are taxi prices reasonable from Protaras to Ayia Napa?

Walk up the hill, turn right towards McDonalds and there is a bus stop just there (it's not far honest)
Buses were very frequent maybe 15/20 mins or so. Can't remember the price but was very reasonable.

:cheers

1. I am 31 and going with my boyfriend. We like a bit of nightlife (cool bars that play RnB, up to date chart, dancey stuff) on a holiday but also like to chill and have some quiet time too. We also love gorgeous beaches and a few decent shops. Is protaras a good resort for that?

Plenty of bars doing different sorts of music and entertainment (karaoke, elvis, tribute acts and covers, loud bars, quieter bars, can't be sure they had a specific RnB bar but I'm sure you'll find something to your taste) They also have lots of resturants and café's (and the odd fast food chain) so your bound to find somewhere great to eat. The beaches are excellent, take your pick, walk up the coast line see where it takes your fancy ! Fig Tree bay is noted as being a fantastic beach, but there are quieter areas towards Pernera (next little village? along). Many "decent" shops in Protaras itself for things like watches, basic clothing, hand bags, chemists, beach tackle, hiring cars, booking trips etc but if you want big tourist type shopping areas you might want to go to Nicosia or Pafos or if you want big supermarkets and such grab the bus to Parallimni (you can walk it if you don't mind an hour or so in the sun, then bus it back).... so is Protaras for you ?... I'd say your going to love it !

Steve
Thank you both for your responses. Sounds like I am going to love it :-)

Cannot wait now, one week to go x
Hi guys!

My girlfriend and I managed to get a booking to the Golden Star in Protaras for 1 week leaving Glasgow on August 27th at 0730. Really cant wait to go, we are 21 and 23 so looking for a lively but relaxing holiday in Protaras.

We have read a number of really good reviews about the Golden Star apartments and i am just looking for any additional info that anyone might have (hints and tips really).

As i mentioned we are looking for a lively time come night. Can anyone reccommend any good bars and clubs that are worth going to.

We plan to head through to Ayia Napa on the Saturday night for a good bit of clubbing, does anyone know of a really good club worth going to?

We are also looking to do a boat trip from Protaras to Ayia Napa, does anyone know the cost and duration of the trip?

Many thanks for reading my topic, i hope you are able to provide any information that is helpful!

Andy ;)
The Golden Star are at the bottom of a side road at the mcdonalds end of the resort, so you shouldnt hear any noise from the bars etc. There are lots of bars, Rockafellas is my favourite but there is Robin Hood, Stonendge, Zodiac, Bells, Sphinx bar is close to you. There is a lovely restaurant just up from you, called Astoria, you will see the owner Chris outside with his parrot. Its cheap on the bus to Napa, and there are lots of clubs playing all sorts of different music, the Castle is one of the main ones. I would also go to Ayia Napa in the day and go through to Nissi beach, which plays loud music all day. The water park in napa is also a must, its a brill day out. The supermarkets are expensive so we usually go to the supermarket near the church in Paralimini, things are less than half the resort prices. Sorry to waffle, but i love the place and had my 8th visit last year. You are on flamingo beach, and need to go to the bottom of the resort for Fig Tree Bay, where there is a good cafe, i know the brothers who own it. Any more info just ask or send me a private message.
We'll be there the same week, our 2nd time back and down the road to you in the Tropical Dreams hehe small world!

We're both 23 and 25 so around your age group, we loved Robin Hood's bar, was such a laugh and always got something on. We also loved Only Fools & Horses Bar for just a quiet evening, chilling out with a beer watching only fools is great! lol

Also try Waves for the last drink of the evening on your way back! The make excellent cocktails!

Oh and p.s - a visit to the magic water show is a must!! No matter what people say it's a good night out! lol
I visited the hotel, returning a couple of days ago. The hotel and the whole area is immaculate. No litter etc. The Golden Star is 2-3 minutes walk from the main street where there is a nightclub. Don't worry, the hotel is not noisy at night; you are far enough away.

There are dozens of bars on the main street. As we are a family with 2 young kids I cannot say if the night life is what you are after, but there are plenty of young people.

You can get a bus to Ayia Napa for 1.5 euros (approx £1.20) although we did not do this.

If you want to surf the net for free and have a drink, go to the Red Indian. Go to the main street from the hotel and turn right. At the top of the street you will see it. The food there is good, although everywhere is good. We visited 14 restaurants in 14 nights!

The restaurant at the hotel is actually extremely good as is the one at the top of the street with the Parrot. (you will know when you get there which on I am on abut) If you are on a tight budget, go to TeeJays. The food is good, the beer is good. (Honestly - really good)

The water show is very good. (next to McDonalds) If you sit at the front you will get soaked, but have great fun. Take a camera and video. Really good value for money.

Can you do me a favour. If you go to the Rising Sun pub (you are bound to) tell the Geordie saxophone player Ian there that the Mackam (someone from Sunderland) was asking after him. The one with the dark skinned (white) wife and two young children. You can also tell him his football team are rubbish!

You should have a great time. Don't forget you can go to the sister hotel also 2 mins walk away and use their pool, etc.

Enjoy!
There is a safe in each room, which costs 25 euros. (about £20). If you are to use that, then you may as well take Sterling cash or Euros. The exchage rate for Sterling cash was about 1.27 euros. My bank is 1.22eauros from the cash machine and £2.80 transaction charge.

Alternatively, pay using your debit card. This way you will not need to pay the transaction charge, and the exchange rate will be the same as if you went to a cash machine. They accept it all over the place in the resort. No problems there.
Hi guys,
For anyone who has stayed at the Golden Star apartments, can you tell me what the side sea views are like and whether this is just a pool view or a desert view?
Heard of a few people getting sea views and others getting terrible views.
Feedback or your room would be apprectiated, doesnt have to be of Golden Star although a nearby hotel in the same area would be good to know what the outlook is?
week on wednesday from glasgow with direct holidays!!! woohoo!

cheers,
Andy
Many thanks for this...
I think we have been allocated a side sea view room for our stay - do you know what the outlook is either side of the hotel (one side pool view, not sure of the other side!)
Cant wait to go - only a week to go!
Andy, the Golden Star is right on Flamingo Beach, if you have a sea view it will be good, otherwise you will be overlooking the car park on the road, the apartments are cheap and cheerful and right on the strip in Protaras.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.