Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Goldtrail
264 Posts
surely that it isnt right and OTB wouldnt have forwarded goldtrail the money at that point ?? would they???
I have seen conflicting information about the timing of events on Friday. Goldtrail were placed in administration at various times between 4pm and 7pm depending on which site you read.

David :wave
Sounds silly but even if an agent books right up until they annouce going bust because the agent has a confirmed booking although useless really. At some point down the line the administrators will quite often ask for payment from the agent as we found out in the XL case.

So if i book a holiday now and they cease trading in half an hour - 99% of the time the administrators will still ask for the money meaning i have to ask client to pay again and rebook or i do it out of my own pocket !!!!

Mad really
No problem Harry

Not bad for an amateur ;)

John
Interesting situation with OTB though....
How many posts have we seen in the complaints forum about people thinking they had made a booking with OTB to find out days later that the price had changed as it was only 'an offer' and the booking is made later.
Had OTB actually booked the flights at this time ?

John.
I just feel that OTB ripped me off from the start goldtrail did change the flights and the times but the original flights didnt exist
OTB didnt want to know just passed us back to goltrail at the end of the day it doesnt look good on there behalf but they didnt really give a damn and then they said the booking had no hold luggage booked and it did still waiting to hear about that one irrelevant now
they certainly wouldnt get another booking off me
sorry for my late reply.

Basically what happened with me was travel republic came to me with another flight. I filled in the CAA form and enclosed all my documentation but I sent mine via Travel republic as they needed to fill in a part of it then travel republic forwarded it onto the CAA for me. That was the only difference. If I had not of been given an alternative flight I would have sent my form direct to the CAA and the money would have been sent to me etc.

The CAA form is very straight forward but just makes sure you have copies of everything!! And photocopy everything that you send.
You get the CAA form from the CAA website or the website you booked through will have a link to it. I can't do links but Im sure someone has posted one already to it.

With credit card, we contacted our CC company the night Flyglobespan collapsed. Our cc company, who was nationwide, were excellent and efficient even over the xmas holidays. I did read however that other cc companies are not as helpful and some try to say you can't claim until your flight was supposed to fly etc.....keep at them. That is nonsense and they know it.

Anything else I can help with please dont hesitate to ask. I holiday in Turkey every year and know a great travel agent at hays travel who works independently and she can always find a great bargain via email then you call to book. So if anyone wants to rebook and needs some Turkey help just let me know!

:)
A family member booked with Airborn about 8pm Friday night, who happened to say 'good idea to book by credit card' . Goldtrail weren't mentioned, she had no idea it was with them, till yesterday morning. There's more to this story but need to check with her first that I can tell it.
thanks greenshoes OTB have not offerred a flight unless you pay upfront for a flight but im not going to book with them have asked for accomodation refund caa form to be posted today off to work for a 13 hour shift welcome to the nhs will see if OTB email me today
thank you
I had flight only booked direct with Goldtrail ue to fly 28th July. I managed to book other flights thank goodness so we can still go. I paid for the flights on my creit card and contacted my card provider as instructed by CAA and they wont refund me saying I have to claim through CAA has anybody manage to get the ball rolling to get a refund direct from credit card provider. I thouht they had to refund you under section 75 of credit act.

Thanks
Donna
Hi Donna - when Globespan collapsed I got a refund from the credit card company direct. Letter sent quoting section 75 to them and they did try to fob us off, saying that we would not get a refund until after the dates of the flights (which was Septmber 2010 - Globespan collapsed in Dec 09 and we had booked direct with them in August 09).

I took advice from Consumer Direct who told me it was nonsense to say we had to wait until after the flight dates. We did have to battle with Virgin credit card (who hid behind MBNA) but once we contacted the financial ombudsman they provided a refund - almost 3 months after the claim.

If you booked flights direct with the company on a credit card you are entitled to a refund from the card provider - check out Martin Lewis money saving expert site for some good info on this.
Ok I need some help please ...

Yesterday I was very premature about singing the praises of Visa Debit card chargeback !!!

Spoke to my bank on saturday to see if I was covered under Visa Debit card ( under the visa chargeback thing ) which they confirmed I was instead of having to claim under ATOL ....then spoke to them yesterday to make sure and yes Im covered with any luck the money should be back in my account today..So ring them today after a 40 min conversation im now not covered cos there is cover in place with ATOL so I have to make a claim thru them which is gonna take months which is fine had I known this right in the beginning as could have started claim proceedings ................. then the cheeky b*ggars tried to charge me £5.00 for copy bank statements which i refused to pay !!!!!!!!!!!

Does this sound right I know under CC I would have been covered but it seems a very shady under Debit card
I'm not sure but I would have thought the chargeback would only kick in if there was no other form of redress. In this instance you can be refunded by the CAA via the ATOL scheme so I would have thought they should be your first point of call. If for some reason they couldn't or wouldn't refund (not going to happen) then you could then go through the visa chargeback system.
Thanks ... it just gets more & more confusing because I booked flight only which sometimes I read im covered by ATOL and others Im not !!!

Have spoke to CAA and they say yes I am so all I can do is get my claim off and see what happens but bearing in mind the 120 day rule with Visa Charge Back !!!!
If the CAA have said you are covered you should be fine, just a matter of waiting patiently for your refund.
To be honest as long as I get my money I don't mind the wait ,I was lucky enough to get flights at a cheaper price then Goldtrail so I can still go away feel so sorry for the people that can't do that !
And yet on the CAA website,they say if you booked direct with goldtrail for flights and paid with your credit card you should claim from your CC company under the consumer act !!
Do credit card and debit card chargebacks work differently? I think it says they may advise you to make a claim from your credit card issuer if you paid that way, but doesn't mention debit cards.
Goldtrail administrators set up advice website

Goldtrail's administrators have set up a dedicated website to give customers and the trade regular updates on how the insolvency is being handled.

http://www.goldtrail-insolvency.com includes a redirection from Goldtrail's original website.

Begbies Traynor, who were appointed as administrators of New Malden-based Goldtrail Travel on Friday, say they expect to issue a report within the next eight weeks on the financial circumstances leading up to the operator's collapse.

In a statement Begbies Traynor said: "Moving forward, the administrators will look to realise the company's assets to maximise the return to creditors. This will involve ongoing investigation work and the provision of continued assistance to trade organisations.

"Abdulkadir Aydin, Goldtrail's director is assisting us with our ongoing enquiries."

Goldtrail's computer records are being used to provide the CAA and ATOL with information to help holidaymakers who are stranded abroad or unable to travel.

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.