General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Just bought the first of my books I'm taking on holiday,usually take about 4! have opted for the Da Vinci Code and can't wait,will have to lock it away to stop me reading it!!!!........
You will definately have to lock it away - a fantastic read - well worth waiting for !!!!

Ali
Got to say Martina Cole books are great, read them all and waiting on paper back of new one.

Just got into my 'first' John Grisham book, the Rainmaker... an excellent read.

Elizabeth Pearce books I can recommend, any, excellent.

Sydney Sheldon, all excellent, again read them all but only two I think that I couldnt get into, it was though someone else had written it.

Must get a copy of the Da vinci code for Egypt ... would have imagined that to be a bit heavy though, but by all of your reviews it sounds a compelling read??
if you like real life stories that are harrowing and soul crushing i recomend ,,, the little prisoner ,,,by jane elliot ,1 thats a bit more tear jerking but not so graphic is one child by tory hayden ,,shes also just released her second book the sequel to it ,,just ordered it off internet and need to hide it before my holiday ,and my 14 yr daughter who is reading the first one now :lol:
Definately dont like tear jerkers, not brilliant reading for around the pool!!!
It`s a few years since it came out, but " Bella Mafia" by Lynda La Plante, is a brilliant read, much better than the film, glad I read the book first!
LD, I imagined that the Da Vinci Code would be heavy too, and I was reluctant to read it, but someone offered it to me and I had nothing else to read so........ the rest of that you can read above :lol: Very easy to read and really gripping, so if you are going on hols with children I suggest you don't read it round the pool, cos you won't be able to keep your eyes on them, you'll be too busy reading!!!!!!!!!!
I enjoyed 'The Da Vinci Code' but I thought that 'Angels and Demons' was even better.
Take a look round the local charity shops and see what takes your fancy. Most paperbacks are less than £1 and you dont have to worry about suncream and sand in the books at that price.
Yes , as someone who works in an Oxfam bookshop , please come in and buy some books ! The only down side is that our minimum price is £1.49 . But you will still pick up some very good bargains, compared to what you would buy new. We only sell books which are in very good condition , any others go straight in the bin.
I've got to agree Da Vinci Code is the best read but it won't last you the length of the hols. It is a cover to cover book with only time off to put the kettle on(order a cocktail if by the pool) or go to the loo!
Angels and Demons is good too but I found it a little slower at the beginning but once into the story,hard to put down.

I take second hand books with me that I don't mind leaving behind , passing to another holidaymaker. It leaves more room in the case for the duty free and souveniers.
I took The Da Vinci Code away last year on holiday - a much easier read than I imagined. I took Angels and Demons away this year but my husband pinched it :roll: - he really enjoyd it - unusual for him to stick with a book! I ended up reading The Lovely Bones which was a good read. Fortunately our hotel kept a good paperback library which was appreciated.
Jules
Two brilliant books to take with you are "Snowball Oranges" and "Manana Manana" by Peter Kerr. Its his true story of buying a Mallorquin vineyard on impulse and the funny things that happened along the way. They are very funny, and full of wonderful local characters.

Enjoy! :D
as per some of the other posts - anything by Dan Brown as he now has 3 books in the top 10 . The da vinci code has been no 1 for 63 weeks.
I've read 3 of hi and they're fantastic the rpoblem is you don;'t want to stop reading and put on more lotion etc.
For ladies only (Dan is good for everyone including my teeenage daughter) I'd recommend Fiona Walker . Her books not only are a good laugh in places but real & interesting too.
Happy reading
Best
Helen
Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons are really cheap in Asda at the moment, I was looking at them this afternoon and wondering whether to buy them for my hols - I think I probably will buy them now, after reading the recommendations on here :D They're just over £3 each, so probably worth getting even if I don't manage to get into it until I get back. I usually buy loads of magazines at the airport and then buy an English newspaper every day while I'm away, so £3 each for a good book will save me quite a bit of money 8)
Do buy them you won't regret it I promise and he also wrote Digital fortress (which I haven't read yet ) I'm keeping that for my hols.
I've laos heard that a writer called John Case is alaso very good and very similiar to Dan Brown
Happy reading
Best regards
helen
Another one by Dan Brown is Deception Point -can imagine his books becoming films sooner or later :)
For really good cheap books try here
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/frameset.asp
Excellent value and great service (not a club!!) - great for childrens books an Christmas pressies
Jules
i recommend Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.There's six or sevenish books in the series so read them in order.They are a 'mans' book(bit of violence) but the girlfriend enjoyed them as well. Stephen Leather is worth a look at as well.
My teenage daughter and I both read Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy on our last holiday and thought all three books were excellent. It's an incredibly imaginative trilogy about 2 children on a fantastic adventure through different worlds with a destiny to fulfil and a really good read on many levels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.