General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Thanks to you cyberspacekadette i went to Asda yesterday and bought the Davinci Code for £3.21, what a bargain, thankyou for telling us the only problem is after reading the prologue i want to read it now and ive got another 2 week before im off
Nicola xxx
Tesco have free delivery on all books this week (but if you use the 3 for 2 at WH Smith or Waterstones they are just as cheap).

Obviously best to try Oxfam first!
Thanks for that plug for Oxfam steve99!.

In fact in the Oxfam book shop where I work , we have devoted one of our windows to holiday reading. In this window there are lots of light reading, "chicklit" books and crime novels. We have have also dressed the window with straw hats , beach towels and bottles of sun-tan lotion. Lots of people are stopping to have a look at the display and we are selling plenty of books.
Hi,Ive already bought the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons for my hols and its killing me not being able to read them!
I always like to take Jackie Collins/Jilly Cooper type book with me aswell but can't find anything suitable! I know that both the authors don't have books out at the minute but does anyone know of any simular books?
I really enjoyed Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden as a holiday read.

Dawn
Last years Nile cruise gave us a no-brainer for one choice - Agatha Christies Death on the Nile :lol:

The most annoying thing for me is that my wife, who doesn't normally read at home will absolutely devour books on holiday, and get through at least 6 books whilst I - who reads constantly (and many books at a time) will struggle to read 4 :x

A considerable part of our luggage allowance goes on Harlan Coben/Jeffrey Deaver/Robert Goddard - and yes I know there are shops selling books in foreign countries !
puddleduck2

a long time since I read memoirs of a geisha but loved the book so much that I have just bought a copy from a charity shop and am going to read again !! I know I'll love it just as much second time around :) :)

Ali x
SuenickSue, nice to see another Lee Childs/Jack Reacher fan, Oh and BTW I'm female and would marry Jack in a moment lol.

I know what you mean though, I bought the books for DH but I ended up reading them, I avidly await his next book being realised while I think DH is about 4 behind me! lol

Highly recommended to anyone, Lee Childs is a fab writer. Also anything by Harlan Coben his books are fab.

I have just bought James Patterson's 4th of July to read on my hols, the 4th in the series of the Womens murder club books if any of you have read them!

Can't wait!

Catherine x
Hi Scottishmum, I'm just across the river from you :wave
I really enjoyed James Paterson's books as well, I'm waiting to take delivery of 'The 4th of July', it's definitely best if you read them in sequence. PJ Tracy is another very good author, I think there are four books so far.
Hi 01car,

I've just finished 4th July on Saturday, was very good, not quite as good as the first 3 which were fab, but still a brill read!

Enjoy!

C xxx
Hi all, what about everybody leaving there books in the hotels for others to read!!!!!! Would be great leave 1 as you take an other, if only the hotels would set aside a spot to leave the books. In spain last year i left a finished book on a table and watched it being picked up in less than 5 mins by an other holiday maker (hope you enjoyed it as much as i did, Jack Reacher realy gets about lol).
Just a thought but it would solve my problem of taking loads of books.
My wife bought me the lord of the rings trilogy to take to Turkey this year lol i've just finished the 4 books in 2 weeks, well worth getting.
Happy reading and happy hols to all.
Hunteruk

I think this is a brill idea. A couple of years ago we holidayed in Menorca and our rep had a book shelf at the side of her desk in the reception area and we all left books and took books from this shelf. we thought it was a great idea at the time although have been on several holidays since and not seen it again.

Ali x
Another good idea regarding leaving your surplus books. Try and find a charity shop or organization. I have found these in Paphos and Marmaris (for homeless cats and dogs). Last Sunday, while browsing round the market in Los Cristianos Tenerife, I came across a stall run by a dog's home selling used books . I am sure that they would have also welcomed any book contributions.
Try Driving over lemons and a Parot in the pepper tree, very good true life books
We`ve managed to get the four Dan Brown books, have had to hide them away in a draw otherwise will have read them before we go.
Got the Da Vinci Code for 50p in a Charity Shop. Would you recommend reading them in any particular order/ or are they all seperate stories?
Thanks
You're Ok, the Dan Browns are all individual stories, so you can read in any order!
am flying to magaluf on saturday and bought my holiday books last weekend. I read an awful lot - 2-3 books a week. Have been reading all the patricia cornwell books for last couple of weeks - on last one "Trace" at moment but wouldn't fancy reading them by the pool as they can be a bit dark and disturbing.
I have already read all the martina cole books, all the sophie kinsella "shopaholic books" all louise bagshawe collection, all dan brown and all cathy kelly and marian keyes books! so i have gone with "dot.homme" by Jayne Moore and "Ready or Not" by Chris Manby - have read two of Chris Manby's before - "Seven Sunny Days" and "Running away from Richard" and they were both excellent so hopefully I have made a good choice!!
How's this for an unusual suggestion? try and take one book with you that is about the country you are visiting. I don't mean a guide book, but a novel or biography set in that country , or a book written by someone who has travelled there before you. For instance I took My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrel when I visited Corfu . I have just bought a book about the life story of Chopin, I shall read that when I am in Krakow next month.

There are plenty to choose from. For France you have the books about Provence by Peter Mayle . For Spain there is Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart. There have been several books about Tuscany recently and I am sure there similar books for all the other holiday destinations. They can be very light reading or , if you're inclined,a classic such as Don Quixote .

I know this might not suit everyone, but I like to read as much about the place I am visiting , both before I travel there and when I am actually in the country.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.