Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Gratuities
275 Posts
I my opinion the toiletries on 5 star cruise ships are poor quality. We have never tried 6 stars. Don't forget they know all the tricks and fill bottles up with cheap products. :omg Always better to take your own unless you don't care. Remember all companies are run by Accountants :o

Legless :wink:
:yikes Well, isn't that awful!!! I did expect decent toiletries from a 5-star company...all the more power to my elbow for less gratuities :wink:
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
:( P&O give you sealed Molt and Brown up to a few years ago but all that has now been stopped
:rage They even charge you for room service in your cabin
:D You would not think it but we love cruising. Great value for money if you get a good deal 8)
Regarding toiletries, I can only speak from our own experience. We have sailed across the star range of cruise ships, and have no hesitation going "up" or "down" the range according to price and value. On the QM2 and Holland America's Noordam the toiletries were excellent quality :D and provided in small sealed bottles, including shampoo, conditioner, showergel and body lotion, small soap bars. Would be very surprised if Princess, competing in same market, did not do likewise. The lower star range do not provide the same range or quality, as you would expect.

No one is saying that the toiletries provided even on the premium cruiselines would meet all personal taste, you need to measure convenience against preference.

For the record legless, I am one of the Accountants (but not with a cruiseline) whom you clearly love!! :oops:
I was not having a go at Accountant's. I was only saying a good company can only spend what the accountant says.

Regarding toiletries, you have also got to remember that on a ship it depends on the grade of cabin you are in. I know they are all one class ships. Except for the QE2, but the cabin grade you go in will depend on what you get in your cabin.. You being an Accountant you should have only been in the higher grades and have not sampled the lower grades. It is only right that standards are higher as you are paying a lot more money than the less fortunate.

Personal I would not go on the QE2 as old ship are not very good for the disabled person in a wheelchair and because it has different classes and I hate snobbery :no :bow
How presumptious Legless :o .....being an accountant, we go for the lead-in cabin, normally inside.....represents best value :D as the rest of the ship is yours for the taking. The toiletries I spoke about were all in lead-in cabins. Have to confess, like you, a severe aversion to all things snobbish :( .

Our first cruise a couple of years ago was for Silver wedding and we went for a middle deck outside. We discovered then that all facilities are available for all, except Cunard as you rightly highlight, and now go lead-in on the basis that we would rather increase our cruise ratio than pay through nose for "better" cabin. Also we have always had free upgrade a couple of decks :D We also never use a travel agent or book through brochure, much cheaper ways than that :lol: . Mind you at only 5 cruises, and another next month have a long way to catch up with you!!
:thanks Thanks for info Guys.
I'm on "Countdown to my Cruise now...29 days inclusive of 12 night-shifts still to work! Better dust off the suitcase and practise singing at street corner to earn a few "BAW BEES" (Scottish for Pennies) for my Gratuities!!!
have been reading all of your replies, thanks to all who have responded. I think we will be asking purser to reduce gratuities by half, as I dont think its fair to charge the kids for "tips" I will also be aware of the many ways that the staff may choose to "pay back" our reduction of gratuities.

Thanks again for all the advice

PS legless you sound like great fun to be sailing with, hope we meet someone like you on our cruise
I know they are all one class ships. Except for the QE2, but the cabin grade you go in will depend on what you get in your cabin.

Most major cruise line have a class system based on cabin grade just like cunard(QE2,QM2,QV not just the QE2) they just don't promote it as such.

The main difference with Cunard is your assigned dinning, the other benifits vary between cruiselines but include things like

Special events
In room waiter dining
Full room service menu
Priority bookings in alternative restaurants.
priority bookings on tours
Butlers
Concierge
Private decks and lounge space.
Inclusive drinks
portable(ship wide dect) phones
DVD/CD etc
Personalised stationary
Daily flowers
Canapes
..........etc.

We also never use a travel agent or book through brochure, much cheaper ways than that

TA are nearly always the cheapest it is just finding the right one that will refund commissions or one that has block bookings.

Sometimes direct with the cruiseline can be the same price/better since there are no discounts available.

(trade insiders can obviouly get better rates but they are exclusive so don't count)

Would be very surprised if Princess, competing in same market, did not do likewise.

Princess in the basic cabins have sacchets for shampoo and lotions and a bars of hard soap still a lot of ships have gone over to gell products in dispensers. ( quality makes little difference as anyone coming from a hard water area will notice a biger difference just from using the ships water.
:wave Thanks for info Windjammer. I will just pack a few bits and pieces of toiletries.
Topsmum, remember bar "Gratuities" too. It is 15% on Princess...and what for...pouring you a few lemonades :shock:
If I were you, I would save the Tips for your next holiday with the Kids :D
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Jopa, just had a look back through the posts and see you are on the Saphire realy look forward to the review especialy interested in the port situation and DIY tours.

Have you checked out the roll call on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=307 for your trip usualy get some great info over there.
Windjammer... :thanks For that Link, masses of reading will get through it eventually.
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
who includes the tips then i know ocean village thomsons and island cruises do. is there anyone else who includes them, what about ncl or costa etc. thanks
My sister is just back from a med cruise on Celebrity Galaxy, with only one complaint....the ships fixation with gratuities. Apparently in the final few days the daily news/events mag gave continual reminders of what was expected tipwise and who should be getting what etc. The Cruise Director at the disembarkation talk spoke about gratuities, gratuities, gratuities, disembarkation, gratuities, gratuities, gratuities!! The dining room staff also seemed to be exerting pressure to tip, despite the fact that there is a daily charge automatically added.

Personally have never come across gratuities overkill on any of our cruises, and wonder if anyone who has cruised Celebrity had same experience as my sister?
hi ..hamrag...we had the the same treatment on the infinity which is another of their ships ,we got sick of hearing those words.........regards.....john-doe.....
Hi

We went on Celebrity and the cabin steward became quite aggressive about the tips. In fact I think Celebrity are not happy about wheelchairs been on their ships as it is bad for their image. Too many wheelchairs and it looks like an old people's home!! I found them so unhelpful when I went on the Century nobody was going to get a tip.

Another point. Don't be fooled when they do a ship up like the Century and spend £30 millions. It's just a selling technique to get you to go on an old ship. 10 years is old in the cruise world

Legless
:tut
I think it is awful to be treated like that.
Puts more power to my elbow when I go with Princess in 15 Days!!!
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.