Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Tipping is discretionary not compulsory on most cruises. However, I do know of some that actually add it on to your bill at rate of approximately 15%. If you dont want to pay it you have to go to the purders desk to have it removed.

I have only been on one cruise myself and we allowed approximately, £1.20 per person per day, for the cabin steward and £1.50 for the two restaurant waiters (who shared).

Personally, I wouldn't have tipped if I hadn't received good service, but
I am sure some of the more seasoned cruisers will be able to tell you what they normally allow.

Kath HT Admin
We have only been on two ships where the gratuities weren't included and they were added to your onboard account at the rate of $10 per day - $3.50 for the cabin steward and $6.50 for the restaurant staff. There is also usually 15% added to bar bills.

Most of the English people we spoke to had them removed from their account and tipped direct. We had half of them removed and tipped our cabin steward $50 direct. However I did hear that they weren't allowed to keep individual tips and had to pool them if the passenger hadn't paid the $10 a day.

luci :wave
Maybe we were a little naive, but at the time of booking we were not informed about the gratuities system. As we are a family of 4 this appears to add up to around £350 for the fornight, is this right as thats a big bill before we start our holiday.

Guidelines Will have been in the brochure( Idon't have an RCI brochure to hand to check but in last years )

It will be recommended that you tip $10pppd so for 4 that 4*10*14 and at to days exchange rate(1.88 just under £300). As has been said you can opt out of the auto system and pay what you want. Drinks will have 15% as will some of the other onboard services that you pay for.

Tippping and onboard expences are all part of cruising so need to be budgeted for when choosing which ships to go on. Definately worth going through the brochures and the UK web sites of each line when picking a cruise so you know whats what

If you do a web search for cruise review Navigator that will find you loads of reviews and you can check the reviews here and on shiphappens.

You will have a great time and don't forget to research all the ports and hteoption to DIY tours this will save you much more than the tips which in my experience are well worth the expence. Basic cruise fair are very low because of the tipping culture.
I am going on a Sapphire Princess Cruise in October.
They add $10 a day gratuities for every man, woman and child passenger.
There is also a bar charge of 15% added to your bill.
There are 2,700 passengers on the ship, so that adds up to a tidy sum.
I would like to know what percentage of tips goes where?
ie...does Captain receive same as Cabin Staff?
What are the wages of Crew Members?
Or do they pay them at all?
If they paid a decent wage to Crew, they would not have to ask for tips.
I will certainly pay a visit to Pursor on my arrival.
I shall Tip what I want and to who I want and will not be "persuaded" otherwise!
Jopa.
I agree Jopa
We work extremely hard all year round for our holidays, and do always tip GOOD service but will not be pushed into paying gratuities if i dont feel i haven`t had anything out of the ordinary.
Its my first cruise next year and i will be heading straight for the pursers desk, and handing out the tips to the people i think deserve it!
liz mc...Pleased someone agrees with me!
I was on a Nile Cruise in Jan. this year. The Tour Leader asked for £28 in tips from everyone for the week's cruise and hounded us for them on the 5th day, anouncing that there were still 4 people to pay-up.
On day 7, as we were preparing to leave the Boat, the Cabin Stewards were mulling around constantly and did everything but hold their hands out for tips. They did not seem to understand that the Gratuities had been collected. It made us feel as if we should Tip twice over.
A Pensioner Couple refused to tip £28 and they gave £10 but as far as I know, everyone else paid up.
I just wonder if/and how much the Cabin Boys got from Gratuities.
I swore then I would decide if/when I would Tip anyone.
I have a responsible job, I give of my best at all times and no way do I expect Gratuities. I have to save hard for my holidays and do without lots of things, so why should I subsidise payment to Crewmembers...The Owners should pay them a decent wage in the first place and it is not My Fault if they don't!
I am going on a Far East Cruise in Oct. and needed a Visa for China. Princess Cruises wanted £90 for Visa...We got them for £30 at Chinese Embassy! £60 is a big profit-margin in my book!
I feel it will be a case of...get em on board and screw-them for every penny!
OK...I'll jump off my Soap-Box now and bid you all Good-Night,
Yours Aye,
Jopa.
On our last trip the majority of the passengers we spoke to had removed their tips from their on board account £3.75 per day per person and tipped individuals personally.We did the same as some of the staff had shown no interest on making our holiday enjoyable ,so the ones who did were rewarded personally.
On a personal note I think tips should be given for good personal and friendly service and not just expected as THE NORM. Where,s the incentive to give a good service if the staff know they will get the tips anyway.
kavmick
It's all very well saying that the cruise lines should pay their staff higher wages rather than have them relying on tips. However, bear in mind that this cost would be pass onto the passengers in higher cruise fares.

luci :wave
Luci...I would rather pay a higher Cruise Fare than be asked for "Gratuities"
Jopa.
hi all .. :wave ..i agree with jopa i too would rather pay higher prices on cruise fares than be embrassed if i have not given enough in tips,
on one cruise on a american ship the envelope for tips was open in front of my wife by the table waiter to check if we had given the correct amount,thank heavens we had..............regards.....john-doe...
johndoe...If I thought they would open my Tips Envelope at the table,
all they would see coming out of it would be perhaps a Moth!
Hi :)

I have being reading all your advice about tips and I have been on 38 cruises and I think you should only give someone a tip if they actually put them self's out for you. If they are just doing their job then why should you give any extra? Do's anybody give a tip for doing your job. If they don't like what the company is paying them then they should not do the job. Anyway that is my advice and don't be soft

Regards Legless :lol:
Legless...Great Advice!!!
Do what Tommy Cooper did and put a tea bag in the envelope and say have a drink on me!!

Legless :P
:rofl Verrrrrrrrrry Good Legless!!!
Always remember to get your own breakfast on the last morning !!

Legless :lol:
:lol: You would be lots of fun on a Cruise Legless :lol:
:shock: I am a Yorkshire man who just loves life :wink:
Another way to avoid the pressure of handing over tips is to eat in the buffet area on final night, and same for breakfast! Where the brochure says tips are included in price, I would never tip extra.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.