Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Thanks for all you positive comments. I am really looking forward to going and feel more relaxed already

Cheers Sue
We have been on many gulet cruises and have never worried much about security. I tend to lock my wallet and anything else I might worry about in the suitcase and then forget about them. Towels have always been provided and the crew will give fresh ones if asked. A big part of the crew income comes from a tip at the end of the cruise and they will do anything reasonable to ensure you enjoy your holiday and leave a tip. I don't mean, though, that they are just out for a hatful of money - I have never met a nicer, more hospitable bunch, than the Turks.

I did lose my favourite sudoku propelling pencil on the last cruise though...............

A few people have talked about getting luggage to a hotel ready for their second week. I would never want to leave the tranquility of a gulet and move to a hotel! Do the hotel first - wear your posh frocks and designer stuff - then the second week you can stop worrying about keeping your clobber in good condition and just stuff it in a suitcase. The second week you just need shorts and tops.

On a slightly different topic - I spotted, when I got back home from our last gulet, that my digital camera charger and my mobile phone charger had the same voltage and the same connector. I could have saved the weight of one of them in my luggage. With the 15 or 20 KG limit every item counts. Every gulet I have ever been on offers mains electricity at some point in the day but it is not on all the time. I always leave something plugged in so I don't miss it when the power comes on. There are usually a few sockets in the bar area which are on all the time and the crew have always let me use them if something needed to be charged up - just ask.

Also if you go for two weeks you don't need to take two weeks worth of tops, underwear and shorts. They can be washed in the cabin and will dry out in no time up on the washing lines. If you intend buying a load of new stuff while you are there take even less with you and save the weight of bringing lots of your own old stuff back.

Finally, most gulets have a small library of books left behind by the people who went before you. But not at the very beginning of the season. They clear them out over winter. We went in May and the boat had been out for just one week by the time we arrived. Not a spare book to be seen anywhere.

Hope that helps.
If I'm doing twin centre I too do the hotel first. There is the clothing thing but also it takes a while to get yourself back into civilisation after a gulet holiday - it really is that chilled. Far better to have the active part of your holiday (to whatever extent) first and then have total relaxation the second week.
:whoops

We are going on the gulet first and on to the hotel after.

I now have a great excuse for not ironing clothes before I pack them, :rofl can get them done by the hotel

Sue
i'm also booked on the thomson gullet cruise for the week september 15th to 22nd! small world. Will be the 3rd yr in a gullet, first time with thomson though. How many cabins have you got booked?
Hi

We have just the one cabin booked for me and OH. Flying from Manchester. It will be our first gulet trip and really looking forward to it.

Sue
cool, see you on board. i have also got one cabin booked, for me and my fiancee. I'll be the one fishing the whole time! can't wait now. we're flying from gatwick so wont be arriving until early hours of tue morn.
Tim
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.