Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gulet cruises
28 Posts
Hi

Haven't been on a Thomsons gullet, but have one booked for this September.

Sue :)
We are on the gulet from 15th to th 22nd

Sue
We are on from 8th to 15th have a good one
not been on a thompsons cruise but i have been three others.the ultimate chill out holiday enjoy yourself.
Got back yesterday from a Thomas Cook two week gulet cruise. Blue cruise then Aegean - both from Bodrum.

Having trouble working out what socks are for now.
I went on a Thomson Gulet cruise about 15 years ago !!! It was my first time to Turkey and I absolutely loved it, one of the best holiday I ever had. When our children are old enough I would love to do it again, it is so relaxing.
i was thinking of this........
still cant make up my mind, where to go in september? morocco-agadir, or turkey -turunc???

but do fancy a gulet in turkey.
but what do you get (apart from sea sick), and i cannot sail or operate a boat. can you give me more details
You don't have to operate the boat yourself, you may be confusing it with flotilla holidays on yachts where you do sail it yourself in a group of others. On a gulet which is a traditional kind of wooden boat you lie back while the staff do all the work. You need to check that they intend to use the sails sometimes (wind permitting). I find motoring around all the time rather tedious. It is lovely as you see a lot of the coast and stop off for a spot of sightseeing or swimming. One thing to bear in mind is that unless you charter the whole boat for yourselves you will be stuck on what is in effect a large floating caravan with people you may or may not like.
We have met around 130 to 140 strangers on gulets over the years and have only met 3 or 4 who I woudn't want to meet again.

Dunno what they thought of me though...........
Has anyone left there luggage at the hotel in Olu Deniz whilst they spent the first week of a fortnights holiday on a Gulet. We have a week on Gulet then a week at the Belcekiz Beach Hotel and would like to send one case on to the hotel
We did this in Marmaris once but we went to the hotel first before joining our gulet. The hotel staff put our larger case in the luggage room. I would think the tour company would transfer your luggage to the hotel for you, just don't leave anything in there that you are going to be upset about if it went missing.

Nowadays I managed to keep my luggage down but finding small toiletries or using plastic pots and bottles and transferring creams etc into them. A capsule wardrobe too. I don't take anything that I am not, definately going to wear. Minimal shoes. Going to buy thinner beach towels for next year. Its all you need.
I think you would have quite a job getting luggage to the hotel without you being with it.

When I've done gulet holidays I've packed as if I'm only going away for a week. Like Dadooronron it's worth cutting down on things and you really won't need much on the gulet week. You are a bit short of space in the average cabin - which is obviously why you are thinking along the lines of having only one bag. It might be worth investing in wheeled holdalls, which can be used for other holidays (as they really do hold a lot), then storage won't be a problem.
Hi

I wondered if anyone who has been on a gulet could answer a couple of questions?

I beleive that towels are provided for the cabin - how often are thses changed?

How does security work. I am used to hiring safety deposit boxes in hotels and although I won't be taking the crown jewels, ;) I would like a secure place to store passports and cards etc

Cheers Sue
None of the gulet cruises I've been on provided towels. and one of them was a Deluxe gulet cruise (wish they did that would save some room in suitcase).

As for security I have always forgotten to ask about it. There has never been any problems but I do wonder sometimes whether to keep everything with me all the time or leave it in the cabin. I pretty sure the crew would never touch anything, otherwise they would lose their job. The other passengers are also unlikely to be of this nature. You are hardly ever in the habour and that only leave pirates!
I have always had towels on gulets, both standard and deluxe, but the info beforehand has been that they don't provide them. If they are provided they are not changed unless you specifically request it.

So far as security goes, well you only have a few people who could be guilty of theft of anything so it generally isn't an issue. There will never be a time, even when you are in port that the gulet will be left unattended. Everything will be safe in your cabin, or leave things in your case/bag underneath your bed.

The only time I had heard of any problems was on my first gulet trip, the crew told us that there had been a spate of thefts whilst moored in Marmaris - opportunists getting on the boats in the middle of the night but only taking things that had been left upstairs. This was solved by most gulet crews always sleeping at the rear of the boat by the entry gangway so nobody would ever have a chance of sneaking on.

I hope you have a wonderful time, please don't concern yourself with security issues.
Thanks for that.

The reason I am concerned about secrurity is that we had a bag stolen from under a coach seat in Spain. The coach was broken into and the bag taken. Because the bag was not locked in the boot, we could not claim off the insurance. We also discovered that if bags are left on a coach at night then even if they are stolen from a locked boot you can not claim off the insurance.

Cheers Sue
That is fair enough, just with a gulet the crew will ensure that nobody else ever comes on the boat. If you are moored up in a port such as Marmaris one of the crew will always sleep right by the entry gangway to ensure nobody comes on.
As others have said, never a problem on gulets. There will always be a member of the crew on board. Done 16 gulet holidays now and never had a problem, we don't even lock the door to the cabin when we're in it.

As for towels, on a one week cruise you will get one towel for the week though if it gets too whiffy, they will get you a clean one. On some of the deluxe gulets we get bed linen and towels changed mid week and there were "beach" towels for us as well though that is unusual. Life on board is very relaxed and I've never smelled too badly - well no-one has told me about it anyway.

They are fabulous holidays for relaxing. We plan to do at least one two weeker per year until we're too old to walk up the gang plank to get on board and even then, the crew would probably carry us.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.