Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
At least Turkey gives us a vast variety of resorts that has something for everyone.I have found them all different and have enjoyed every one I have visited,thanks to the hospitality of the Turkish people. :sun2
I first went to Gumbet 17 years ago too. If you went now you wouldn't know the place, it is completely unrecognisable!

When we go back to Gumbet we do spend quite a bit of time in Bodrum as it is so easy to get to.

We went to Turunc in 2007 and we enjoyed that, we went into Habit bar once but spent most of the time just eating in the nice restaurants and wandering about. It wasn't too quiet for us as we have to young children so we don't really go for the nightlife but if you are lokking for some kind of nihgtlife there isn't much there.

I know what you mean about that road to Turunc, it really is scaryand my daughter was really sick after all those windy roads, we went on the boat to Marmaris for the day as we didn't fancy that drive again :yikes

You are very right there are so many places in Turkey that everyone will find somehere they like and the Turkish people just make all the resorts so nice to be in.
Well, this topic has certainly produced some varying responses. We love Gumbet so much that we have bought a house there (on the Konacik/Bitez border with Gumbet) - and we're not ones for "banging" nights. Yes you can have them if you want but you can certainly have quiet nights as well. Bar St is fine for those that want it but we never go there. We go to the bars around Cheers and the Serhan Hotel and it's lovely and relaxing. We can sit and chat and really enjoy our evenings - far away from the "madding crowd" of Bar St, etc.

I know many people who like Marmaris but I visited there last year and it wasn't for me - but I certainly wouldn't decry it as everybody wants something different out of a holiday and I'm sure there are quieter parts of Marmaris, just as there are of Gumbet.

When you visit Gumbet, enjoy touring the peninsula (it's fantastic) but also take some time to explore Gumbet as well and get away from the main streets, there are loads of smaller bars that are great to chill out in. Let me know if you need some ideas.

We just got back from Gumbet last week - what a fantastic time we had. Turkish new year's eve was great - one to remember!
Glad you had a good new year Jakki, where did you go? I remember going out in Bodrum a couple of times for new year and it was great.

Kedi
We went to a party at Salmakis in Bitez. Our friend Mehmet who runs Cheers in Gumbet has a brother Fahri who runs Salmakis and they were having a party for family and friends so we were invited. It was brilliant - belly dancer and traditional Turkish music (we were the only non-Turkish people there). After midnight, we went into Bodrum - it was packed and we couldn't find anywhere to park so we just rode round for a bit and then went home. The whole week was great. Gumbet was so quiet - I think we were about the only people on holiday there! Mind you, our house isn't on a holiday complex (it's up by Bodrum Universal Hospital) so where we were didn't seem deserted.

It was amazing to walk round Bodrum when it was quiet - it's surprising how much more you see when all the holidaymakers aren't there. And we loved seeing the flamingoes (spelling?) and egrets on Lake Tuzla. We also visited the park in Turgetries and sat in the cafe there overlooking the sea. I could go on and bore you for hours - but I won't! We'd already booked flights to Bodrum for June and September but tonight, we just booked to go out there again in April (we promised to help Mehmet with the decorating before Cheers opens again in May!!).

All I can say is for anybody who books Gumbet, give it a try - and make sure you explore the area as there's so much more than Bar St and the noisy bars.
Do you know if any street maps of Bodrum and Gumbet are available on line?
Jay , have a look at these links:

http://www.bodrumresorts.com/bodrum_hotels_maps.php
http://www.bodrumpages.com/English/bodrum_map.html
http://www.multimap.com/world/TR/Mu%C4%9Fla/Bodrum/G%C3%BCmbet_Mahallesi
http://travel.webshots.com/album/198438614VkkiPG - there are also some pictures of Gumbet on this site

Gumbet is dead in the winter isn't it? Bodrum is nice though, it's a pleasant change to ba able to walk around and have no-one ask you if you want to eat in their restaurant, they just stand outside and smile! We went to Turku bar in Bodrum for new year and I think myself and an Irish girl friend were the only non Turkish people there too. I do like it there in the winter but it did get a bit boring there when we were there for the whole winter with nothing to do. It does get very cold too, we had snow once!
Thanks for your replies everybody. The holiday is booked now, so I'll go with an open mind and I'm sure we'll enjoy it, we had a good holiday in Marmaris even though the resort wasn't for us. We never went to bar street there and it sounds like it's easy enough to avoid it in Gumbet as well. There are are 6 of us, 3 couples, with possibly more to join the holiday as well, so we'll be happy if we can find a quiet bar on the outskirts of town and entertain ourselves! To be honest, part of the reason we picked Gumbet is because it looks as though it's in easy reach (by dolmus) of a few other towns/villages, including Bodrum, and we like to explore. Another disappointment with Marmaris was that there wasn't enough nearby to see, without having to travel half a day on a coach.

Incidentally, it's my wedding anniversary while we're away. Could anybody recommend a nice restaurant within easy reach? I don't mind about price, but nothing Michelin starred with menus you can't understand and tiny portions please - not the husband's cup of tea!

Thanks
Kate
kate

theres quite a lot of lovely places to see within 30-60 mins of marmaris not half a day. icmeler is only 5-10 mins away, turunc is about 20-30 mins away and is lovely, the town just around the bay from turunc cant think of the name now is lovely. then theres akyaka 30-40 mins away and that is absolutely stunning and my favourite place, theres quite a few small villages surrounding akyaka that are all cute, around gokova bay all within 30-45 mins. then theres cinar which has the most gorgeous restaurant surrrounded by ducks thats only about 20 mins outside of marmaris. did you miss all these places

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/cinar/index.htm

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/gokova.html

places slightly further away that are lovely but again within around 2 hrs ish reach are hisaronu, selimiye, bozburun ,datca
Kate,

If you would like some really god Turkish food I would recommend Seray Zetas, it is at the opposite end of Gumbet from Tropicana but should only take 15 minutes to walk. Otherwise another lovley restaurant is Yag Hane in Bodrum, it looks eally expensive but is actually quite reasonable (well it was when we last went), it is along the harbour, a few minutes from M&S.

There is loads to see around the Bodrum peninsular, you can jump on a dolmus to a number of places from Bodrum so I'm sure you will have a great holiday.

Kedi
used this from trip advisor forum last year - great advise - also we stayed at the tropcana beach last year and LOVED it (im 51 anfd my partner is 43) - never visited bar street once- just ate at fab restaurants ( recommend the columbia for your special occasion) and sat at nice bars till the wee hours every night -please be assured youll have a fantastic time

quote from trip advisor forum
Thanks for links Kedi.I have saved them for future reference. :sun2
The restaurant I recommend in Gumbet is the Windmill,we had a fantastic meal there and service was superb,a bit more expensive than the rest,but well worth it.
Thanks for link louietudor - we don't want to get ourselves into deep doo doo ;)
Have to agree with some of the other posters above. I'm afraid Gumbet is Blackpool with sun. It's full of very noisy bars each trying to outdo the other by having the loudest music. Between the bars - lots of shops selling tacky souvenirs and counterfeit clothing. OK if you're a group of lager louts but not really suitable for someone who wants a nice peaceful holiday. But don't dispair!The Bodrum Peninsula has lots of other resorts around it. They are all linked by a very good "dolmus" (minibus) service, so it's very easy to visit a different place each day. If you want to get away from the noise and experience beautiful harbours and sunsets then head for the north coast eg Gumuslik, Yalikavak and Turkbuku. These are much more "upmarket" and don't attract large groups of youths. Best to travel independently though, as most of the tour operators tend to concentrate on the busy south coast resorts.
I dont think there will be groups of youths when I go the first 2 weeks in May! Well I hope not :yikes
Well I am not a lager lout and nor are my parents and we always enjoy our time there. As I said before it's not ALL noisy bars and loud music, you can find nice, quiet places to eat and drink too if you avoid bar street and the like and the original poster has already booked her holiday there and no, there wont be groups of youths around in early May ;)

I absolutely agree though that resorts like Gumusluk, Yalikavak and Turkbuku are lovely places to stay if you prefer a relaxed, peaceful holiday.
quote:
Have to agree with some of the other posters above. I'm afraid Gumbet is Blackpool with sun. It's full of very noisy bars each trying to outdo the other by having the loudest music. Between the bars - lots of shops selling tacky souvenirs and counterfeit clothing quote

if you are talking about bar street yes it is loud and tacky but bar street is only a very small part of gumbet - Tropicana beach is about as far away from bar street in gumbet as you can get - its quiet, right on the beach and close to fab restaurants and bars and the hotel is voted no 1 in gumbet on trip advisor - we are off to gumbet as well for the first 2 weeks in may with an elderly mother (72) and and old uncle (74) and beleive me we would not be taking them to gumbet if the only attraction was bar street

it seems to me that the negative comments on this thread are about bar street and not gumbet - gumbet has something for every one young old and all ages in between
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.