Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gumusluk
18 Posts
Gumusluk is a lovely little resort on the Bodrum Peninsula. There is a nice beach and some lovely fish restaurants, although they can be a bit pricey. It is fairly quiet there but the views are lovely, thre is a small island you can paddle across to explore. It is fairly cloe to Yalikavak and Turgutreis.

I'm sure they will have a lovely time there.
Any other information on this resort? Me and my wife are going here for our first trip to Turkey, staying at the Crystal Hotel. It has mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but the recent ones are mainly good. Most complaints are about the food, but why go on a foreign holiday if you want to eat english food. We like to try everything :D
We have been told a trip to Yalikavak is a must, and Bodrum does not seem to far away. We go beginning of September for two weeks and I cannot wait. :sun2
Any advice is much appreciated.
Paul :cheers
This is just a personal opinion - and not the view of Holiday Truths or it's staff (I thought I'd better put that first so there is no confusion!!!)

In my opinion the people who post on Trip Advisor tend to be those who've had some form of issue with their holiday - and given the number of people who travel, not everyone is going to be 100% happy.

I have seen some horrendous Trip Advisor reports for places we stayed both in Corfu and Cyprus. We were all for arriving in Cyprus and, because we got a really good price, were thinking of going and finding somewhere when we got there and not going to our booked apartment. As it turned out it was spotlessly clean - the staff were friendly and helpful - the meal we had there was more than acceptable.

In my opinion you will get more balanced advice on here.

In answer to your original question, my friends are there at the moment - I'll tell you their thoughts when they return!

Dave
Thanks for your reply Dave, I'm looking forward to hearing your friends views. :wave:
I've seen the Crystal Hotel online coming up really cheap for all inclusive in September, and am thinking of booking it up..

My sister lives in Yalikavak, and so I have sent her off to have a look round the hotel before I book! Obviously we could stay with her, but we like to have our independence, and visit her when we feel like it, instead of being with her 24/7...

Plus the flight prices are almost as much as this hotel works out with flights, and all inclusive to boot! Bargain!

If anyone knows anything about the hotel, please post... as there aren't any reviews about it on this site as yet.

Apart from being set on a steep hillside, it looks ok.
I must admit I was very annoyed by some of the reviews on here about Gumusluk. There was someone saying they wouldn't be returning until it catered more for English people :really , I hope it never changes to cater for English people as I think it is lovely the way it is. The food we had was very nice there, it is mainly fish and Turkish food, which is what we are looking for when we go to Turkey. The people who went and complained obviously didn't do any research did they?

Yalikavak is very nice too, there is a nice little harbour and a few shops and restaurants. Bodrum is about 25 minutes by bus and the scenery is lovely on the trip.
Dave, we were there back in 2005 - see my earlier post. Our first, and not our last, visit to Turkey. Would definately like to go back someday, but enjoying exploring other parts of the country first! Janita
There was someone saying they wouldn't be returning until it catered more for English people

In which case Kedi, I hope they never feel the desire to return.

I'm sorry, and I know this is slightly off topic (so sorry again), but if I wanted to eat English meals and drink english beer in an english tavern - guess what, I'd stop in England!!!!!

Sometimes the english abroad really do annoy me!!

(OK - climbs down off soapbox and allows normal service to resume :D )

Dave
I agree Kedi, if you want to eat english food then stay in England. Part of the fun of a foreign holiday is trying new things and meeting new people. Lizzie you are correct, I was ecstatic when I got my total costing, me and the better half, all inclusive, 4 star for two weeks with taxi transfers for less than £1100, bargain I thought lets get it booked. :sun2
Steep hills don't worry me and the sunsets are reported as being fantastic. Just over 5 weeks till we go. :cheers
Looking forward to trying some Turkish cuisine and local hospitality.
Again any info on this resort and things we should try on our first visit to Turkey is very much appreciated.
Paul
Paul - try -

not to be too surprised at the levels of service and attention to detail you will find in Turkey :tup

Really, you will not be disappointed with Turkey and it is outside the Euro-zone so is better value (apart from fuel which was about £1-37 a litre in June - so hire a car which takes lpg!!). If you get the opportunity try a Turkish shave (unless you have a full beard!!), Turkish Bath and a pedicure (yes - even I had a pedicure. First time in my life and I ain't no spring chicken.)

and don't forget to take extra memory cards for your digital camera - I filled two cameras whilst there and had no memory left for the last couple of days (since coming back I've bought 2 extra memory cards both with increased size - so I'll be ready for next year!!)

Dave
Hi
I have an apartment in Gumusluk. It is a really special place. The Crystal Hotel looks like it is about 1km away from the fishing village so do make sure you get out of the hotel and visit it. Here is a lovely new website that the Mayor of Gumusluk has set up:

http://www.gumuslukturkey.com/

Have a great hols
Thanks gypsybabe, I intend to get out and explore a bit, and Dave I think I will give a Turkish shave and bath ago. Is there any mudbaths close by as my wife would like to try one of these, and also any recommendations on trips we could try. I've been told I have to try a boat trip.
Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Paul :wave:
There aren't any mudbaths nearby, they are at Dalyan, which is a long way off. Definitely do a boat trip though, they are a really relaxing day out.
Getting more excited now as its just over 4 weeks till we go, so we are still looking for advice on trips and things to try on our first trip to Turkey. I'm going to try a Turkish shave but my better half wants to know what she needs to try. :cheers
Thanks in advance.
Paul :sun2
Just briefly had a message from friends on their return.

They were not very happy with their hotel - but she admitted that this was the first time they had been AI and it was obviously mass produced with a not very wide choice.

Gumusluk they described as being in "the middle of nowhere" so it is ideal for a peaceful holiday.

I must admit it does sound somewhere that would suit me - and my friends did say that they achieved their aims of having a relaxing sunbathe!!

Dave
Have a great time - Gumusluk is lovely. Go snorkeling to see the remains of the 2000 year old civilisation of Myndos which slid into the water after an earthquake. Walk across to rabbit island to see the - rabbits!! Gumus means silver and there are two explanations for the name, one is that the moon leaves a silver reflection on the sea there and the other is that in ancient times the city of Myndos was wealthy enough to mint it's own silver coins. I think it has a rather bohemian feel to it with many artists and crafts people selling their wares. There is a thin strip of sand for lazing on. Be careful before you enter any of the fish restaurants, there are some really good ones there BUT they can be very expensive so really check the prices especially of fish before you order and also the wine.
If you want to get out for the day Bodrum is a bus trip away, a very bustling town. The castle which has won many awards is well worth a visit. You might also fancy a boat trip and there will be many to choose from, offering lunch and a relaxing day out. Turgutreis is also not far for a day out. If you want to visit another country you can go to the Greek Island of Kos but you would probably need to get up very early as I think the ferry goes from Bodrum.
I can't remember the name of my favourite restaurant but it's at the far end and by the sea. The restaurant has a large tree forming a canopy and after dinner you lay there on cushions by a roaring fire and they serve coffee, tea and fruit.
Oh yes and for the ladies have a Turkish Bath and maybe visit a salon for a manicure and pedicure which are usually much cheaper than UK. Also many of these places will also shape your eyebrows with threading.
  • Edited by JMK 2009-08-08 20:53:52
Dave, were your friends staying at the Crystal? I am hoping for a relaxing hols but I do like things to do as well.

JMK, I like the sound of snorkeling and i was also hoping to learn scuba diving this year. We are planning to go on a trip or two to Bodrum as we have heard there is a gold market there and its my wedding anniversary when we are on holiday. My wife likes her jewellry. We also plan to do a couple of boat trips and lots of sunbathing.

:sun2 :sun2 :sun2

Thanks for your advice.
Paul
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.