General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hair help
21 Posts
My Hairdresser told me to cover my bleached hair in leave-in conditioner before going in the pool. I always do this and i dont get green hair, and your hair stays lovely and soft. You can also get special shampoos and conditioners to stop chlorine affecting your hair.
Sorry i dont know the name but i seen them in Wilkinsons.

Loulou
Thanks for the speedy reply.. :D

The conditioner tip sounds a good idea, it will stop the sun drying out my hair aswell and as my hair is quite short it doesn't look too bad with the slicked back look..... :D

cheers,
samx
:lol: :lol: I admit it is not a great look :roll: but worth it, no green hair :mrgreen:

Loulou
Try ultraswim shampoo and conditioner....it's especially for that kind of thing :)
I'm going to have a look in Boots today, thanks for all the advice and tips......

samx
Boots do their own swim and sun range that includes a leave in conditionong spray. If the worst happens - ketchup gets rid of green in hair! Smells awful but slap ketchup on for an hour and it will work wonders im told!

Alison :D
I've heard the one about ketchup on your hair before but never tried it.....
I'll have to lock myself in my room if I need to resort to the sauce bottle, I dont want to frighten the maid to death :lol:

samx
Just remember member RhaMos tp, that if your hair does turn green - you need tomato ketchup to reverse it :)
Kath HT Admin
Hi there

Just a thought, does your hairdresser use bleach or a tint?

I have very blonde hair but my hairdresser uses a tint which is slightly different and does not react with anything else (pool water).

Might be worth asking them.

Have a great time
:)
This may not be the case for everyone. Tints contain pigments that are deposited on to the outer layer of the hair but it still does penetrate the hair shaft, not as much as bleach does, as bleach goes straight in to the hair shaft.
Contrary to popular belief it is not the chlorine that makes hair get a green tinge, it is the hard metals that are present in the pool water. The main culprits being iron, Copper and Manganese. These metals are oxidised by the chlorine then bond to your hair. Even natural blondes can have this problem especially if the copper content is high in water.
Using leave in conditioner fills the hair shaft so that these metals find it harder to penetrate.
If you do end up with green hair, tomato ketchup, left on for 15 mins will do the trick. Washing your hair in a solution of warm water and a dissolved aspirin may work. Also using a Shampoo that has anti oxidising properties may help, it needs to contain EDTA (ethylenediamene tetracetic acid).

Loulou
This was the first time I have ever had a problem, however the pool man did clean the sides of the pool with an algae remover which contained copper, so we think this was what caused the reaction.

One of our friends noticed his toenails changing shades as well.

I shall take anti chlorine type shampoo's with me in future, as I couldnt find any in Cyprus, so hence we had to use the tomatoe ketchup!
anti chlorine type shampoo's should do the job, but yes i would have a large bottle of ketchup in your room...just incase! :lol:
Thanks for all the replys.........only 4 weeks to go now and counting... :D

sam
lucky you! have a great time!!! where is it you are going? xxx
Hi, I've stocked up on loads of shampoo's and conditioners and hair masks...... :shock: suitcase is getting rather heavy now, just need to find some space for the sauce bottle :D

I'm spending 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic, my first time in the Caribbean and can't wait.

Thanks for all the tips,
cheers,
sam
Have a great time sam :D
My friends are also off there on 26th of this month.

Loulou
if your hair turns green in the pool,use a tin of tomato soup or tomatoes,rub into your hair for a few mins and the green disappears :)
The boots har protection spray has been a godsend for me while I've been away... although mines naturally blonde, it goes green in chlorine (and dark ginger in winter for some reason!) but this year, it worked a treat.

My mum has dyed blonde hair... she uses camamile conditioner every night while we're away.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.