Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi Del, I will do some digging around regarding info on those apartments. Have you been to Corfu before? we are going for our 3rd time this summer and although we haven't been to Roda we have stayed in the same area in Acharavi (I think it's the next resort along). I shall get back to you if I find any more info :tup
Admittedly, I've only had a quick look but according to a holidays-uncovered review this place only reopened last year after being closed for a few years which is probably why there aren't many reviews on it. The two recent ones I've found don't have glowing reports on the place, one saying it wasn't very good and the other saying it's basic but did the job for the price.
thanks Shirley, i had seen those two also. :(
I was certain we had done the research before booking, but had looked at so many ........!
have just registered with rodaonline to see if i can get any more info.
We have been to corfu before, in the days of the Drachma, stayed outside Sidari, but then switched to Turkey.
We have 2 hols booked for Corfu and Zante this year, this last one HAD to be done on a strict budget.
Oh well, fingers crossed :)
found this, so looking bit better :)
http://rodaonline.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=idrodaaccommadations&action=display&thread=2926
See Del - go outside your 'comfort zone' and you're lost!!! xx

Hope it goes ok but knowing you two you will always find the really good points of any holiday. Lots of love and have a good time! xx
It's looking more positive on that website Del. Basic is fine and they're saying it's looking spotless with a good pool and bar. What more can one want? It would do me nicely on a budget :)
thanks Pat, love to you and Sir also!
I'm sure that we will find the good points and as Shirley says the last report looks good, maybe found a little gem!
Del, when are you off on your hols? I'd love to hear from you to see what you thought of the accomodation :tup
hi....and a good chance to add fresh info on the hotel reviews when you come back ;)... tweetie
we are going 11th june, and will post a report on the hotel/apartment when we get back, maybe with pics if I remember to take some!
Noticed that is now offered with lots of the smaller ops, so fingers crossed.
Look forward to reading your report and looking at the pics on your return :)
OK, we're back!
So, booked with Lo-cost hols, flew with BMI baby.
Flight was fine, on time and lots of empty seats so plenty of room.
landed in corfu and found the transfer....."need to wait for soem more passengers sir, go have a drink"
65 mins later we set off,without the extra passengers.
Up hills, down hills etc etc etc etc.
Arrived in Roda at the apartments and driver says " just down there, no good for bus" , so off we merrily trot with our cases. Only to be told by another bus driver "not down here, never heard of it".
By this time Andreas who runs the bar in the apts has found us.
Into the room and pleasantly surprised, after all its only costing less than £10 per night.
Throws cases in and goes for a well earned mythos (or three!).
First morning.
Stiff backs,beds not that good.
Check out the pool area.....great! loads of beds and not many guests.
Makes coffee in the room....not so great, the hotplate takes 20 mins to boil the kettle
(usual little grill/oven, twin hotplate).
The bare minmum of equipment, but at less than a tenner a night.....!
Explore the resort
Great, 50 yds to the beach....not so great the beach is useless there, but, only 200 yds to the main beach so not a worry, 7.5 euros for two beds and a brolly.
Right, back to the hotel.
SWMBO requires an extra pillow, so i request one........WHOOSH..... it's there!
really pleased the maid brought one, cos it was the last time we saw her until it was time to go home!!
Clean sheets and towels changed once the first week and the beginning of the second week.
toilet paper bin emptied by ...ME
We actually trained the towels to walk from the shower and drape themselves over the balcony to dry themselves :rofl
The room was a bit small and a bit dated but generally was Ok except for the housekeeping
enough about the room, for now.except to mention that not a great deal of storage space for clothes and cases.

Roda is a small resort, flat and compact. plenty of really good places to eat and the prices seem reasonable.
A bit difficult to get around if you don't rent a car, but car hire is pretty cheap 90 euros for A/c car for three days.
Didn't paricularly like the beach the sand was a bit...funny... you know a bit like a mix of mud and sand, but clean and litter free.
The sea was warm and shallow, good for little ones.
A mix of bars, some quiet and a couple with karaoke etc so a bit noisy..not our thing at all, the apartments were far enough away to be quiet on a night too.

Like, I am told, the rest of corfu there are plenty of mosquitos around dusk so plenty of preparation is required, but even the stuff we bring back from goa failed to keep them at bay.

So, after 2 weeks of generally good holiday we arrive at the last day.
The apartments have around 60 rooms, of which approx 12 were occupied, so as we were going to be picked up at 3.15 we figured we would poolwatch till lunchtime then get showered etc and have something to eat before pick up.
After all, they aren't going to need the room quickly...........or are they?
The maid puts in her second appearance and tells us she needs us to leave so that she can clean the room!!!!!
Now, if she had done that earlier she might have got a tip...she didn't so she didn't! :tongue
even the left over shampoo and shower gel went down the sink.
Now the bus driver has finally found out where the apartments are and picks us up on time, and then takes us on a 2hour 50 min tour of various resorts before the airport.

Anyway, we mostly enjoyed the hols and laughed off the bits we didn't and all in all for what we paid got a reasonable deal, certainly not a holiday from hell....would I stay at these apts again, no, not unless houskeeping was a lot better.
It just goes to prove the old saying, "you get what you pay for" ;)

next hols is in 6 weeks to zante but we have paid a bit more for that so am expecting better :D
Del where on zakynthos are you going

yasus
wizard
Plessas palace, alykanas.
8 weeks not 6, getting carried away :D
Hi Del

It would be appreciated if you could updated our hotel review page with the above if you haven't done so already.

Thanks

luci :wave
not been to that one but have passed it on several occasions, a fairly modern place looks in good nick was due for an upgrade last year [dont know if it happened with the financial problems]

im sure you will enjoy it.....

SORRY to corfu members :offtop

yasus
wizard
ah just wrote a reasonable sized post in reply and lost it when i thought I'd submited it and then clicked view new posts. It hadn't in fact submited - the page changed to say that at least one new post has been submited (which was Luci's). I was too quick with my finger, instead of reading what the screen said :duh

Anyway, thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time and not a holiday from hell.

we have just under 6 weeks before we return to the island.

Btw did you get around the island a bit of did you stay put in Roda?
Interesting read Del many thanks :tup Made me ((shudder)) though when you mentioned the mozzie's ;)
Shirley, we rented a car for 3 days to get off the beaten track and explore some of the more remote resorts, some of them very remote. Also managed to get up in the mountain areas in an attempt to escape the mossies.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.