Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Voncat,

One word, WATER!!!!! lots of bottled water, did you request air-con? if not ask if it is available on arrival. If the pool is in the sun it might be a bit warm if in the shade it may very well be cool enough, depend sif the sun has had a chance to work on it or not.I know it is not always easy to get kids to drink water, in the conditions you are likely to experience it is absolutely essential. We are off to Side early July, will try and drink minimum 3/4 litres per-day per-person. Good luck and have a lovely holiday.

alistair
Hi dont worry,
i had my kids 11 and 8 in Turkey 2 years ago and Tunisia last year - 48 degrees and the secret really is to make sure they drink water - plenty and often and if it gets unbearable get them down to the beach, they probably cope better with the heat than we do! If they wont drink water throw a couple of bottles of Robinsons in your case (i do) that way they are still getting plenty fluid thats not fizzy and take insulated juice bottles to keep it cold.
As for at night they are always that shattered they sleep, and bear in mind they get used to the heat through the day so when the temp drops at night they can feel the difference, my 2 still used the blankets at night! My daughter did get "prickly heat" 2 years ago but you can get anti histamine over the counter at the pharmacy or take some with you. Biggest problem i had was trying to keep their heads covered as they wouldnt keep hats on but have stocked up on Bandanas from Tescos this year for them!
Hope this helps :wave
Have a great time
Shirl
Hi,

I'm not going to lie to you - the last 2 weeks in July and most of August does get very very hot in Gumbet. There may not even be the cool breeze from the bay at that time of year. As has been said before, keep hats on the kids, and when they are in the pool make them wear a T-shirt over their cossies - they will want to be in and out the water all day long, and so sunburn on their shoulders, necks and back could be a problem if you don't keep them covered up or constantly slavering suncream on them.

You should be able to pay for air conditioning in your room when you get there, and I'd say at that time of year its advisable to do so, just so you can escape the heat and get a good sleep. If there is no air-conditioning at your hotel, you'll still be able to hire fans for the rooms.

If you're planning a stroll round the resort, maybe go in the morning after breakfast, so you're not walking long distances later in the day when the sun is at its most fierce? Or wait until evening - all the shops, restaurants etc are open til about midnight.

Elaine
dont be put off by the heat just take care if kids dont like water add a bit juice as long as they get fluid if you only have a fan like i did one year try a damp sheet over you ive done that a few times had great night sleep or for the kids a damp cloth on there heads . t-shirts on kids are the best during the day and plenty cream. av fun :lol:
Don't worry about the heat. Just follow the instructions of plenty of fluids and cover their heads. My son is 10 and I have bought some cheap t shirts (£1.50 each!) from Primark, for him to wear in the pool. they dont seem to notice the heat during the day as they are in/out of the pool/sea. I usually time every 30mins and do a "juice and cream" pit stop! He gets a long cold juice/water and I get to cover him in cream. He usually cons me out of cash for an Ice cream at 2!! As for night time, I have found the air con to be excellent and as mentioned before often need a sheet or blanket. Have a wonderful time, your girls will love it.
K
Hi All,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to put my mind at ease.

As time marches on I was getting very worried about the girls.They are both quite fair.They both love water(to drink and swim in) so that won't be a problem.The apartments don't have air con but you can hire a fan.The damp sheet sound great if it is too hot at night.

Good price for the t-shirts too they only get covered in sun cream and binned anyway.

Thanks again

Yvonne.
My teenage lad is prone to burning and always wears a t-shirt in the pool. :)
as every one said drink lots and slap on the sun lotion , i for 1 love the heat the hotter the better,each time i go it seems cooler i must be adjusting lol
t-shirts and hats are a must if they are fair i agree

we have taken our daughter away every year for the first 2 weeks august and always used P20 on her when she was younger which was fantastic

make sure you use a high factor

oh yeah - and have a great time!!

xx
I have bought p20 for myself and Ambre Solaire 50+ for the girls.Never use the p20 before,I never thought about it for the two girls.Do you think I could put p20 as a base on their skin then top up with the 50+ just incase we miss a bit or it gets rubbed off?

Yvonne
thats a good idea - we didn't have to on our daughter as she is quite dark but its worth having the back up

xx
Any additional sun cream that you put on top of the P20 will rub off the p20 anyway, so pointless.

Be careful with your p20, make sure its well dry before you put any clothes on. I ruined almost a weeks worth of clothes with it a few years ago. For that reason, I now use the Piz Buin, once day long, which is much better. You can also get it in factor 30, which I've been using on my 5 year old son for three years. He's never burnt once and thats been in 40 odd degree heat in Turkey too!

HTH

C x
Hi just be very careful as i used to use it and be fine(apart from clothes staining) so i put it on my two kids and the hubby used it and they all burnt terrible and i was ok.so all i can say is it suits some and not others.My daughter got sun stroke after aswell.

sallington :P
I agree the piz buin all day long factor 30 is the best Ive used, i put it on my daughter before going for breakfast to let it soak in, and she has never burnt. We go in august and we cope fine with the heat, my daughter is never out of the pool and has never complained of the heat. I'm sure you will all be fine, have a lovely time. We have eight weeks to go before were back in olu deniz for three lovely weeks, can't wait.
On the subject of piz buin they were selling it in T J Hughes for £6 but that was a few weeks ago, and they have it in boots i think two for £16. Happy holidays :D 8)
Its buy one get one free in Boots at the mo!
Just a quick story to say how important water is -

We went for the first time in July 2005. Got there Monday. Great. Tuesday. Great. Went out Tuesday night, drank too much beer and didn't drink anywhere near enough water.

Came home on the Sunday, a week early.

Drink water!
Boots do a suncream for kids that is insect and wasp repellent too. I always use this for everyone as to my mind adults hate being stung by a wasp as much as children! And to date no one has been stung by anything while wearing it. It comes in a high factor too.
Have a look at this page which is advice on how to copw with the summer heat:

http://www.ert.gr/
Thanks for all the advice.

Has anyone been to the Dost Apartments in Gumbet and is buying food easy?

Is there a large supermarket or do you need to go into Bodrum?

Should I take anything with me,food wise?My girls are usually quite easy to feed but I don't know what the cooker will be like,and the utencils.Its a ** apartment.

thanks

Yvonne
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.