General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Depending on your budget i would suggest Amadores (near Puerto Rico) or Meloneras (near Playa del Ingles) as there is plenty there and still not quiet but also close to stuff if you fancy a "big" night. That said (and im hugley biased towards GC!) I think Paphos in Cyprus may well suit you better.
thankyou , but paphos is abit busy i thought.

we want to relax in a restaurant on the harbour or front, and listen to a little bit of quiet music, and walk around an old town and shops . i will check out your suggestions . thanks ,
As you have posted in the Cyprus forum I'll opt for Protaras/Pernera in the South East of Cyprus, lots of bars, restaurants, great beaches, live music, karaoke, quiet bars and if you go for walk or taxi ride a little bit further out you get more authentic Cypriot Tavernas. We went once in 2004 and have now booked our 4th time back !... like many people do !

Steve
Mogan might also suit you then but limited options on accomodation
we dont want to go to a tiny resort with only about 10 little shops and 5 restaurants and a lovely beach. as we would get bored very quick i think

10 shops and 5 restaurants isn't my idea of 'tiny' and 'boring'! Sounds like that resort would be just what I'm looking for :D Seriously these things are always relative and a matter of personal taste - it will help others if you can give us some clues as to where you've visited in the past and enjoyed, eg places that almost fit the bill but not quite and some info on why they don't tick your boxes. Then we can offer some more specific suggestions.

Crete can cater for all tastes from the 'tiny and boring' to the 'uproarious' and all points in between but I suspect that my personal preference for the smaller resorts of western Crete wouldn't suit you. Similarly, I loved Alvor on the Algarve when I first visited it but I haven't been back for something like 13 years and learning from these forums that it now has such things as an 'Irish' pub means that I'll probably never go back and stay there again. But it does sound as if there or nearby Lagos could be just what you are looking for. Knowing what you've found did suit you in the past would be good clue before I start making specific recommendations.

SM

PS I see that you've posted on all the specific forums for the countries you mention - until you settle on a which one you want to visit you might have been better keeping just to the general query you raise here - you're likely to get replies all over the place with people not knowing what replies you've posted on other forums that might help them offer more specific advice - which could result in suggestions that are of no use to you.

PPS And on others such as Tunisia that you don't even mention here! For what it's worth I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Tunisia - the evening entertainment is very hotel based and the purpose built tourist resorts such as PEK and Jasmine Hammamet could be verging on the too small and quiet for your taste. And in September could be very quiet too - especially given that there aren't that many bars and restaurants catering for tourists outside of the hotel-based provision. The souks and medinas are great for haggling but don't actually offer that much in the way of shopping. And more importantly, 'browsing' is an unknown concept in Tunisia - if you go into a shop they expect you to ultimately to buy something. 'Just Looking' will be met with blank looks! So unless you are good at coping with the 'pester power' tactics of most shopkeepers the shops are a bit of a no-go area apart from the one fixed price government-run tourist shop to be found in each city like Sousse.
I would recommend Protaras/Pernera in Cyprus, two seperate resorts but within walking distance of each other. Noticed you've posted this in the Cyprus forum, so instead of duplicating my answer, I'll just leave it here.
I've only just returned from my first ever visit to Cyprus and stayed at the Rising Star in Protaras, was that impressed I booked up for next year whilst I was sitting byt the pool :) :cheers
several threads from different forums have now been merged.
You should find it easier with all suggestions in the same place sam :)
thankyou all very much , i posted the same question in a few different sections on here. in the fututre i will just stick to this area and hope to get good replys that way . and if i get a specific place in mind, then i shall go on that particular forum . sorry for spamming !! , and thanks for the replys, i will take time to read through them later tonight , cheers guys ! :tup
sam
there are still some on the other forums where there are answers.
rhodes.
allthough we went a little later in october rhodes town was quaint, a nice old walled town but too quiet for us at the time we went.
cyprus
protarus was enjoyable one long street mainly of karaoke bars, nice beach and the ability to explore the island by car, driving on the same side of the road has us.
turkey
yes iclemer is ideal except for the shingle beach,i would suggest possibly alu deniz (hotel karbel) where the beach is to die for.
crete
allthough we stopped in herssonisos nearby stalis had a nice beach, but have a look at chania with its pretty harbour it may really suit you.
"i would suggest possibly alu deniz (hotel karbel) where the beach is to die for"

^

is this still in Iclemer, or a different place in Turkey altogether? , I like the idea of Iclemer , But a " beach to die for " is a must , which for me , is lovely and golden sands . :tongue
If the poster means Olu Deniz then the beach here is shingly. The famous blue lagoon near Olu Deniz is fabulous but is a short walk out of the resort. This is the beach you see on all the Turkish holiday ads.
, ok so id need to walk out of the resort to find the beach that is golden and sandy yes . how much of a walk am i looking at ? 5 mins quick walk is cool for me.
yeh,other than it would have caused even more confusion i should have said "hello dennis" its easier to remember to spell than olu deniz. its close to fethiye and hisaronu so you got a bit of variety.
check out the lagoon its stunning, but like bridd said there are variations in the beaches.i remember reading that a local bar has transport to its sandy beach for free.
You sound like me, I don't like places where you walk around and in 2 days you've seen it all, and we are a couple in our 60's who like walking, therefore I would say la Carihuela which is between Torremolinos and Benalmadena, fits your requirements.
Although the resort comes under the Torremolinos boundary, it's about a 20 min walk into Torremolinos town centre and the same distance into Benalmadena.

It's a lovely resort with a flat (lit up) promenade that extends from the extreme end of Torremolinos to Benalmadena and it's a resort that's hanging on to its Spanish roots, which is world famous for its fish restaurants.

Other advantages are, it's a short flight, the weather is still hot in September and you are centrally located for entertainment of a different scale, if you so wish...it really is a little jewel on the Costa del Sol.

Thugs, yobs, hooligans and undesirables have so far avoided this resort, a lot of Spanish families go there, but restaurants of different cuisines are plentiful...British, Chinese, Italian, Dutch, but predominately Spanish.

The resort has some first class hotels opposite the beach....and the beach is lovely.

Sounds too good to be true for Spain and the Costa del Sol.? check out my videos in the video library or Costa del Sol forum....there are videos of the resort of La Carihuela and the surrounding area.
Another good thing about this area, there is an excellent train service that runs on a single gauge track between Malaga and Fuengirola....so the opportunities to visit other places is there....for a few euros.

Sanjiiiii
coooollll , sounds really really nice ... im going to check out those videos later .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.