Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Sounds like you could try Elounda very laid back have stayed overnight a few times with friends and it is nice but a little too quiet for me, pretty and some nice eating places without being too commercial.
Rick.
Hi,

Georgioupolis is a good option, flying into Chania:

1. A nice quiet resort which is compact

2. Three good sandy beaches all within easy walking distance of resort accommodation

3. Enough Tavernas that allows you to visit a different one each night/day

4. Just the one "Disco"/Nightclub which only becomes one from midnight and is extremely quiet and discreet

5. A lovely friendly village atmosphere in the village square

Try logging onto Georgioupolis Exposed, a good site!
We stayed in Plaka just around the bay from Elounda, sleepy quiet fishing village, the last village before you hit the hills... Lovely!

Also we prefer the other end of Crete, Chania for shops and strolls around the harbour but the resorts further towards the east are nice too. Ag. Marina/Platanais are nice but a bit more livelier, not like Malia - but one year we stayed further along towards Kolymbari, Skoutelanas. The beaches are pebbles though and Kolymbari is a very quiet fishing village (lovely fish restaurants)with some nice accommodation. Kissamos is ok but just to drive through! This area is nearer for the Samaria Gorge and the beaches of Elafonisos and Falasarna which we love and are fantastic! Too many places in Crete to choose from - one visit is never enough! :lol:
Hi . We stayed in Stalis four year ago and are going back this summer . We are in our early 50s and found it just right with enough places to eat and quietish bars, just the right amount of souvenier shops etc . The beach is superb and Hersonissos is a short bus ride away if you want a bit more choice on the odd occasion
Hi alanredjohnson
I'm a regular to Stalis been going every year now for the last 12 years and I not sure I would describe Stalis as a quiet place,if it has been 4 years since you last went you'll see a change in that short a time,not trying to put anybody off but I would describe Stalis as quite a busy resort especially in the main season,not by any stretch of the imagination anything like Malia though.agree with you on the beaches and eating places, roll on June.
Rick.
Kalives is quiet and relaxed, with 2 beautiful beaches.

Lots of choice of excellent value tavernas, and not a disco in sight.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan
I'd second Kalives and also Almerida the next village going east. Both are within easy reach of Chania, have beautiful beaches, enough tavernas for a bit of variety but not so many that either place attracts crowds and are just the place for a relaxed holiday.

SM
Hi
I am off to Myrtos this year and have had excellent feedback in this forum about its tranquility.
Greekofile
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.