Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
scooter hire
99 Posts
Safety... Riding in Goa.... I'm probably going to get a backlash about this but I like to share my PERSONAL view. I do know several people who have had accidents on bikes in Goa, probably more than you'd expect in England, although this could be down to more people riding bikes here than in the UK. In england out of my friends I know two maybe three people who ride bikes, here, I probably know two maybe three who don't! - So due to the numbers then there is obviously going to be an increased number of accidents.

I do think riding bikes here is great, I own one here and ride it every day, for the most part I don't wear a helmet, the only time I do wear a helmet is when I'm riding on the National Highways when you have to wear one (otherwise you get a nice policemen asking you for money). I personally feel safer not wearing one (I know thats a HUGE statement), this is because I can hear better without one. In England it's not so important to hear what's around you, but here in Goa, I think it's vital. There are bikes, cars, buses, lorries coming from every direction beeping their horns to tell you they are there. So by not having your ears covered you can hear and sense more.... ( I try not to think what will happen if my head hits the floor!).

I also only wear shorts and T-Shirt while I'm riding, just because if you wear anything more you're likey to be uncomfortable and being uncomfortable takes away from your concentration and in turn might increase the chances of having an accident. It's hot here in Goa! In England I remember (having to) ride my bike in winter, getting to work like a snowman... Then I didn't mind wearing as much protective clothing as was available....

From the people who I know have had accidents in Goa 90% of them have been very minor, grazes mostly on shoulders, knees etc. The reason for this is that most people do drive slowly out here. The speedo's are in Kph, not Mph and most people drive at 40, is that about 25 mph? Like someone has said lots of people ride bikes quicker than that.

Tourists also ride push bikes out here - probably more dangerous (as other vehicals are more like not to care about you as you're likely to do less damage to their vehical) - Just a thought...

I think you just need to be careful, if you haven't driven here before I do think you should go with someone who has FIRST so that you can get an idea of how the traffic moves as it is VERY different to England, people don't stop where you expect them to, or do anything you'd expect them to. But I do think that you can drive safely over here. I myself probably drive much too quickly, normally up to 60mph (If I was in England then I'd probably average 60)

If we didn't do anything that was dangerous then man kind wouldn't have advanced as much as it has. With everything there are dangers, like on this forum a woman stroking a dog, gets a scratch and dies... A simple bite from a mosuito, possible malaria... Everything has risks attached to it, you just hae to make educated choices on them.'re driving through Mapusa/Calangute at the moment).. Stay away from the busy roads and it's lovely...
I've cycled in Goa for the past ten years and have to disagree with Rob, I don't think it's more dangerous than riding a moped. For a start, it's too hot to cycle more than three miles an hour and those indian bikes are so heavy it's hard to get up a good speed. One of the highlights of my goan holiday is negotiating Calangute by the market at rush hour! I have been very concerned recently though in the increase of tourists riding mopeds and motor bikes, and have seen some very stupid things. People, please think twice before renting a moped, particulalrly when taxis are so cheap and plentiful.
I know what you mean about the cycles weighing a ton. That's one of the reasons I didn't use my push bike last year ( I might buy a new one this year though - but Aluminium one). But the worry is not about how the person drives/rides so much, it's more how the traffic behaves and not being used to that and taking prosumptios about what the traffic will do at junctions etc. There are many occasions when larger vehicals would overtake and expect you to drive off road to avoid them, with a motor bike you can flash your beam and tell them - 'nope don't you dare do that!' With a push bike you don't have the same presence... Hope that makes sense.....
It makes sense, but luckily I've never had a problem like that, perhaps it's something to do with the width of my rear and my wide load sticker!!
I've stayed in India all the 27 years of my life, and being a very very fortunate veteran of too many motorcycle crashes I thought I'd say my two cents.

Always wear a helmet, even if you ride slowly. All it takes to cause serious injury to your head is to fall off your bike or scooter onto something hard and sharp on the road - definately in abundance on Indian roads. I have lost too many friends (in Bangalore and other big cities) who have fallen off their bikes losing their balance on slippery turns, smashing their heads onto pavement edges or culverts or something. They weren't going fast, they did not collide with other vehicles at high speed, they just fell down and hit their heads..all of them would have lived if they had their helmets on. A lions share of my crashes have been falls off the scooter losing balance on turns made slippery by sand or water or crashing into unmarked road dividers at night and I was very very lucky that my head did not crash into anything.
An added advantage of wearing a helmet is that it keeps your hair free of the smoke and dust, but this is not such a big problem in Goa.

Never open your throttle unless you have a clear road ahead of you for a suitably safe distance that you know is pothole free. By clear road I mean no vehicles, no animals, no pedestrians, no road side vendors, as road behaviour in India does not follow any logical pattern. At other times, ride at a speed where you can stop the bikeiquickly without it skidding. Be extremely careful about oncoming overtaking traffic especially when your side of the road is relatively free.

Keep to the side of the road so that overtaking traffic always passes you on your right. If not, you'll have vehicles overtaking you from all over and that can get dodgy.

Dont feel shy to let your fellow road users know of your presence. Use the horn liberally as driving in India is a lot about hearing the traffic.

Always carry your license and vehicle papers. In case you are in an accident with another vehicle and need to report to the police, if you do not have your license and papers it becomes your fault no matter who caused the accident. And then you become a moneybag to the cops.

Cheers
Well said baga addict at last a sensible post on this subject, most people seem more concerned about pehaps getting stopped by the police and getting stuck with a bribe or a fine for not having a international licence. The real big trouble starts when you have an accident, especially when others are injured and you have no correct papers and no insurance to show. Whilst you are in Goa on holiday buy the local papers, they only cost a few rps. and see how often you will read in their quaint reporting style about scooter drivers being dashed to the ground or expiring on the way to hospital, Its no joke believe me, just because the roomboy or waiter is happy to hire you a bike for what to us is a song, think long and hard before you jump at the offer I know life is a gamble but there is no need to take crazy risks when alternative means of getting about are so cheap. I know you will all be thinking it wont happen to me, but you cant all be super duper safe drivers, somebody is going to get more than a graze, think about what bagaaddict is saying, he's from India and speaks a lot of sense Alan
The AA web site says an IDP is required for India.

So it boils down to whether India requires moped drivers to be licenced or not.
One is required to be legal but very few tourist or Indians have them...
Indians do not need an international license. They are not valid in the country that they are issued in. It tells you that on the license or have you not got one or maybe not read it?
I would also like to add how many of you people would accept foreingners or (immigrants ) riding or driving around your roads without a liscence or insurance. I am sure that this is not acceptable in the UK so why do you think that it is O¬K in India. I think that it is very selfish of the tourists to think that they can do things in India that they can not do at home. After all we are all people and why should anyone think that our safety at home in the UK is more important than the safetyof the people of goa. By the way I have driven motorcycles in India since 1992 but always on an International license and with papers and insurance and have only had 1 accident which was not my fault. Travellingtheword
I was refering that not many Indians have Indian driving licences.....

got to go for now... cya
Is it still generally around 150 rps per day?
you can get scooters for 90 - 100 Rps a day....
I paid 150rps last year,

where are they available for 90-100 ???

Mids
It,s been noted over and over again on this site be myself and others think long and hard before you start. Your holiday insurance stops the second you set off . I've been here a couple of weeks so far and met two walking wounded limping around covered in bandages and they are the lucky ones, I.ve read of two deaths to european tourists since the new year in scooter accidents If you were really unlucky and got badly injured the coct of a medi-vac back to the u.k. would be as much as 50,000 pounds, and no travel insurance to cover this. But I know you'll say you'll be carefull and it wo'nt happen to me, or Robb will say it's o.k. just be carefull and off you'll go, I just hope you pause and think first, as you're a long way from home out here and it could all go horribly wrong and while the immediate medical treatment here is o.k., the nursing and what not, is down to family and friends, this is'int the n.h.s. Alan
:offtop

It,s been noted over and over again on this site be myself and others think long and hard before you start. Your holiday insurance stops the second you set off

Thanks your comments are noted,

My insurance covers me I paid for the option, so I would still like to know where I can save a little money on hire.
t,s been noted over and over again on this site be myself and others think long and hard before you start. Your holiday insurance stops the second you set off . I've been here a couple of weeks so far and met two walking wounded limping around covered in bandages and they are the lucky ones, I.ve read of two deaths to european tourists since the new year in scooter accidents If you were really unlucky and got badly injured the coct of a medi-vac back to the u.k. would be as much as 50,000 pounds, and no travel insurance to cover this. But I know you'll say you'll be carefull and it wo'nt happen to me, or Robb will say it's o.k. just be carefull and off you'll go, I just hope you pause and think first, as you're a long way from home out here and it could all go horribly wrong and while the immediate medical treatment here is o.k., the nursing and what not, is down to family and friends, this is'int the n.h.s. Alan

Fi!!! He's going off topic!! This thread is about the PRICE of scooters, NOT the dangers!!! :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:
I have borrowed of my Goan friend a motorcycle (a 500 Enfield ) for most of my trips to Goa and I also gave him a present of 350rps for every day that he allowed me to ride the motorcycle. I never had aproblem with this arrangement untill December 2003 when a couple from Mumbai came across the road on a right hand bend and ploughed into us. I am an experienced rider and I could not do anything about it, so I have learned my lesson and would not ever hire, rent, or even consider ever riding in Goa again no matter what the rate is. If the rate is 90rps (which is normally for long term hire ) or 150rps (normally day rate ) I would not even consider riding in Goa again. By the way in the accident I had a burned calf (off the exhaust ) and my wife had a nosebleed. The couple from Mumbai both had fractures (leg, ribs and foot ) I hope that this post satisfies everyone as I have mentioned the prices of hireing scooters. B
If you go for the new Activa's or Nova's you will pay 100 to 150 per day (depending on how long you hire for). As Rob said, you can get bargains for less than 100 per day, these tend to be the older kinetic models but still get you around just the same.
GFF
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.