Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I first went to the Far East in 2002 for a "once in a lifetime" holiday and have been quite a few times since! To do this we save like mad all year, hardly going out and my house and car will never feature in any magazine! I fell in love with the Far East. I love all travel but would go into withdrawal symptoms if we have a year without going! What is it about the Far East that you love?
Used to live in the Far East...Singapore and we used to holiday in Malaysia so for me going out that part of the world is a bit like going home. Have been to Thailand 10 times, Malaysia 6 (excluding when we lived in Singapore), Bali, Hong Kong and Burma only the once.

I just find it a fascinating part of the world with such a cultural mix, yet its got all the usual thing that make a good holiday...beaches, country side cities, great food,shopping. Hotels are great, generally much better then the ones I've visited elsewhere in the world (yes we have been to other countries). And service levels are high to.

Also...its actually a cheap holiday (or should I say value for money)...I mean it costs a lot less then going to the likes of Cyprus in high season for example...I mean you can go to Borneo flying scheduled and stay in a five star hotel for just over £600 if you time the offers right. Its also for me the best Winter Holiday destination, as the weather's good - I'm quite happy to pick up a cheapy to the Med or Portugal in our Summer months.

We did go through a spell of visiting twice a year but we found that led us to get blase about the destination
Oh and I forgot to mention its a hassle free destination. You don't get bothered much...you can wonder into a temple complex and and no one minds provided you show proper respect. You can look in a shop without fear of feeling obliged or hassled into buying something...you can have fun bartering.
I know exactly what you mean about costs. We adored Greece but I am now looking at holiday costs and also ( and probably more importantly) the day to day living expenses. Yes, I will spend more for my flights but over a fortnight I think it could very well even out. I am sure most people do not appreciate that and feel a holiday in the Far East is out of reach. And of course, I can splash out on 5 star accomodation which costs less than 3 star in Europe!
I fell in love with the F E in August 2000.
Our first hol to the FE was Thailand and we are going back there for the 5th time in July.
You can't really put the far east into words, it's just an amazing region.
I have tried to compile a top ten of the things I love most about the region - here goes ....

1. Landing at Bangkok Donmuang to hear the beautiful lilting tones over the tannoy , cannot understand a word but love the way the Thais speak.

2. Pad Thai eaten at a cafe on Khao San road - watching the world go by.

3. The stunning scenery seen from the airplane window when on the Chiang mai to Mae Hong Sorn route.

4. The scenery in the Mae Sa valley Chiang Mai.

5. The pool at the Anantara Hotel Hua Hin.

6. Wat Po Bangkok.

7. The stunning white tigers in the Singapore zoo.

8. Observing the 'boat people' in Aberdeen harbour Hong Kong.

9. Chiang Beer.

10. The Happy Elephant restaurant in Bophut Ko Samui.

I could go on and on as asian holidays are full of great memories, we are off to Cambodia this year and really looking forward to it as Indochina really intrigues me.

Like Sunbear says Far eastern holidays can be so much better value for money.

love shirleyV
I have a Singapore version like one of yours Shirley
- eating a bowl of noodles watching the hussle and bustle of China town going around me!
Yes I loved China town in Singapore too, the colours on the shophouses there were beautiful , one of the more ethnic type corners of Singapore.
I first went to S.E.Asia in 1990 on a tour of China, finishing up with three days in Hong Kong, have been back once to China . Have visited Thailand a few times, Malaysia 3 times, Vietnam and Cambodia once. I like to have a stop off in either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore when I fly to Australia and/or New Zealand. One of my more memorable experiences was in Singapore, an old friend was living there and he picked me up from my hotel on his Harley Davidson MB and took me for a 2hour trip round the Island, it was very hot (he made me wear protective clothing)but a great experience, I saw parts of Singapore that I wouldn't have seen normally.
ShirleyV's mention of the pool at the Anantara Hua Hin reminds of our visit to the hotel (It was the Royal Garden Village then, so its a few name changes ago).

The pool area was lovely but the pool itself was freezing - coldest pool I've been in in the Far East...never could understand it as the sun blazed down all day and usually the pools are like warm baths...hope they have addressed the issue since. Do they still bring round a little elephant in the afternoon.

My favourite pool in the Far East is the one at the Krabi Sands Resort...why?...because quite often you have the whole pool to yourself..great.
Hi sunbear , definately addressed the problem as the water in the pool was lovely - nice and warm, I remember when the hotel was called royal garden village as that was back in the day when Thailand was the country I longed to visit but we waited until our kids were off our hands until we actually went there - I was right though I really love L O S and the Anantara was a beautiful hotel, wasn't keen on Hua Hin myself, although I thought the night market was great , I would visit there again just for some R & R say after a tour or something as that pool area was just beautiful.
I noticed you are a fan of the Krabi area and I went there once a few years ago but only for 3 nights but I loved it, and hope to return sometime in the next couple of years.
Its a while since I've been to Hua Hin and Cha'am so no doubt they have changed a great deal. We were going to visit this year but ended up in Nai Thon in Phuket, and Krabi.

However I quite liked Hua Hin probably because its a real Thai town as well as being a sea side resort. We also did loads of trips out from Hua Hin so there was always plenty to do.

I reckon the only place I have not liked in Thailand is Pattaya...after a few days there we just had to get out...so nipped on a flight to Samui.
Hi,

We go to the Far East every year and make sure it always coincides with the Chinese Lunar New Year. We have been visiting now for nine years and have had the best time. We always go to Hong Kong for the Chinese Lunar New Year and this year we were able to celebrate in Sydney as well. I would thoroughly recommend Hong Kong as your next destination holiday in the Far East. Next I would recommend Singapore, more to do, lots to see, beaches, shopping, sightseeing you name it, it is there.

Regards, Heather747.
nice to have a "new" member on the Far East forum Heather! Why not tell us a bit about yourself on Meet and Greet?
hi there just been reading about everyones travels. is it really expensive to go to hong kong as its not your usual everyday holiday. i was stationed in hong kong from 1978 to 1980 when i was in the womens royal army corps and would love to go back and see how things have changed. the 2 years i was there were great and even though i was working it was like a holiday. when i first arrived there the barracks were victoria barracks which i now believe could be victoria park but then we moved to the new building which was hms tamar not far from the star ferry terminal on hong kong side. dont know what the building is used for now but its still there as i see it on lots of photos of hong kong and on some films, and get quite excited. on our days off we used to travel all over the island and kowloon and would love to some day take my family over there. is it best to do diy or book packages? sorry for going on a bit but i like to reminisce (not spelt right) about my days there.
great to hear some memories! What about starting a new thread with your Hong Kong queries as I think more people will see it. ( However, I hve been twice to Hong Kong- once with BA holidays and once DIY! )
First went to Thailand early 80's, Bangkok and Pattaya. Was totally amazed at the quality of the hotels, heat, sights & smells! Did Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong after that then children came along so back to Spain and Florida. As soon as they were old enough had to go back (like a drug). Singapore had changed so much but still great. We are now retiring to Phuket, always said I wanted a little place on the beach, just wish we had done it sooner!
Where in the Far East would you next like to try? I would love to try Cambodia and am hoping to get there next year. Would also like to explore Vietnam further. China is also on the list!
Indochina intrigues me - I am looking forward to visiting Cambodia this year then hopefully Vietnam next year, but I also desparately want to visit Laos - I would love to visit Luang Prabang then the southern Mekong islands.
I would really like to visit Laos, I enjoyed Vietnam and Cambodia, I would also like to visit Burma but not with the present political climate.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.