Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Been to Turkey 7 times now but never been to Dalyan- sounds very much like a place we visited in (or is it on?) Zante a few years back
Excellent 'tell it as you found it' report Sandy, enjoyed reading it, thanks :glynis
SANDY... good to read your report,i go to Dalyan a lot (next visit 10th Sept) thought that your room could have been cleaned a bit more than twice in 2 weeks though,know exactly who you mean about the English guide(good ol' DALE) a.k.a. WALTER MITTY :lol: but has a heart of gold...havn't tried that new restaurant you mentioned and dont think i'll give it a try either,good choice with Ali Babbas though..as you found out there's a lot to do in DALYAN to fill your stay and you seemed to have done it.Was it very busy with tourists ?as it's been a bit quiet last year and earlier this year ..good luck :fly WAKI
Enjoyed your report Sandy

I'm going to Dalyan in Sept and looking forward to it. I dont think I've read a bad report about the place yet apart from the mossie problem.

It will be a nice change only having a short trip from the airport instead of the normal 2 hour one.

Lynn
Dalyan was a bit quieter than previous years, no problem getting table in restaurants and boats etc. The mossies are a bit of a pain but everyone had bites, use Sin Koff and it seems to do the trick. Dalyan has loads more to do that we never got around to as well. I'd have loved to go to Ephaseus but too long to drag wee kids to. The microlite flying looked good as well. Dale ah, nice enough chap but yeah walter mitty!!.
Any more questions Lyn just ask, either here or by personal message. There is another wee cafe by Ali Babars that does fish, they offer a whole fish with salad and a soft drink for 9 lira.
Och Sandy, you've taken me right back to Dalyan! I could visualise everywhere you mentioned (apart from the new restaurant). Is the shoeshine man still going about? And Ali "Magic Hands" the massage man?

I can guarantee that if you go back again, everyone will recognise you. It's like a home from home almost, and I wish it was!

For me the walk to Kaunos is like the Turkey I remember from over 20 years ago, and the man with the tea and figs is what made me fall in love with Turkey in the first place. It is just so typical of their friendliness. Once, we walked on past Kaunos to the next village which was lovely.

Roll on October when we're going to Bitez, but we'll be back to Dalyan soon no doubt.
Shoe shine man is still there as is the disabled single rose seller on the hand rolled bike
I'd forgotten about the rose seller! Being a true Scot, hubby would never buy me a rose. :lol:
Loads of great info there - I am flying out on the 21st September. Never visited Turkey before although my friend has been to Dalyan. Will definitely look out for Ali Baba's and also make a note of some of your other tips :)
Hi Marchmont Par,

I really enjoyed reading your report!

Tell me, when you mentioned Taklisent Gorge - did you mean Saklikent Gorge? Or are they two different gorges?

If it's the Saklikent Gorge - I'm shocked to learn it's dried up! :shock: Proves how much damage has been caused by all this summer's hot weather!

Strawberry
Sakikent Gorge of course. The actual river still comes rushing down the bit at the bridge and you have to wade over it. The actual walk up the gorge though is dry.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.