Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi gower112 :)
not sure about here but we went AI at the tanit hotel last year and our niece was 16 and had to pay adult price but still got childs wrist band ,i think its to do with the alcohol side of things,maybe you could email the HV to see what there policy is on this matter
regards izzy :)
Off to HV on Friday - will post full report when back. Really looking forward to going and hope our expectations aren't too high :)
Yes please let us know Mitchy, we are flying out in 3 weeks with 1 pregnant, 1 medical condition and an infant. We've read so many reviews about this bug!
I'll look forward to your update (i think)
Thanks
We will be going in October(18th) for a week and i'm wondering what the weather will be like, anyone been or goes frequently around this time could you ley me know please.
Hi nickielfc ... you may find the info you need in our WEATHER Q&As topic.

David :wave
Hi all we go this sunday just hope theres no bug going about fingers crossed and will also post a review to help give some different veiws on the HV :tup
Hi the bug is still there, my sis in law spoke to First Choice directly yesterday and they said they are very aware that the norovirus was still going around and would get back to us with an updated version, but hasn't yet. They said we can't do anything about it because we've got nowhere to transfer the holidaymakers that have already book. What a laugh!
Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody can clarify whether men have to wear long trousers for dinner or if smart 3/4 trousers are allowed. Thanks in advance off. :cheers only 5 more sleeps til we go
Hi,

With regard to the sickness bug I phoned First Choice today and they claim that they have no knowledge of any sickness at the resort. I pressed the issue and said that I knew for certain that there was a sickness bug and it had been there since June. The customer services rep then contacted her supervisor and said she would email the reps at the village and then email me with the response to let me know the current position.

I'll let you all know what they say - I am really quite worried and would rather transfer to another holiday village though I guess they will not allow this if they are not even admitting there is a problem. We are due out on 9th August and would love to have any up to date info.

Thanks
Helen
hi dinner lady, yeh smart 3/4's are fine for men no problem! enjoy your hols wish i only had 5 more sleeps! :cheers
Hi tinkerbell-two

Very interesting you should say first choice have no knowledge of this bug. I have an email that they sent me stating there was a bug but nowhere near as bad as it was in May/June. We have been informed that Hotel inspectors have been there undercover and haven't found a thing, So they are thinking someone brought the bug in from the UK and it went round like wild fire, but not as bad as it was. We are flying on 16th August for 2 weeks. Can't wait!!

I am flying with my daughter who has an existing medical condition, pregnant sis in law and an infant. Laid it on thick that it could end my daughter in hospital if she contracted this gastro bug. They had no choice but to admit it. They said they had had over 50 cases reported that's why they had to send out inspectors.
Hi curecf,

First choice promised to email a response from the hotel to me today but I have not heard anything. I will call again tomorrow though am doubtful as to how truthful the response will be. I've just looked at another new review on holiday watchdog which details sickness from someone who has just returned. I'm pretty sure we have no option but to travel or lose all our money so I guess we will just have to risk it but its not how I would hope to start my holidays.

Have they assured you that there is no current problem? I think given your circumstances and with particularly vulnerable guests in your party I would be tempted to write to them and say you are only travelling on their assurance that there is no health risk and continuing gastric bug.

I'll keep you posted on any developments with first choice.
Hi tinkerbell-two.
They have emailed the response saying it's nothing to do with water, pools, food or air conditioning. So if some ungrateful thinking person has took it over from the UK, then we've got them to thank!
They did assure that there was no current problem not like it was in May/June, so yes there may be a normal holiday bug going round and we just got to be careful. We are taking all medicines we think we will need and just hope for the best.
Let me know how you get on please.
Just in case anyone is interested, I just found the holiday village satellite image on Google Maps. The photos must have been taken around the end of June/beginning of July last year when I was there as you can see the wave pool just about to be finished being built.

Hope it interests someone, here's the link;

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=map+of+spain,+ronda&ie=UTF8&ll=36.575413,-4.579936&spn=0.003636,0.006866&t=h&z=17
Hi tinkerbell-two
Any luck with first choice yet?
Hi curecf

haven't managed to get a response from First Choice yet - I've phoned on three more occasions and have had the same story about no problem at the hotel. I still haven't had the promised email from the reps onsite which gives the updated situation and no return call from customer services

I have today emailed and posted by recorded delivery a letter to first choice customer service stating that I am concerned about reported illness and lack of clarity/honesty with regard to the current position. I have said that the letter is to formally record my worries and also reinforce that I am only travelling on repeated assurance from First Choice that there is no current illness at the hotel. I really don't think they will do anything about it but I think it might put me in a better position if the worst happens.

I have a direct email address for the hotel reception so I am going to try and contact them and see what their response is. I have also spoken to Travelwatch who are a company currently managing legal cases for people who have been ill at holiday village during June/July. They advise that we should be able to pull out under package holiday regulation 12 as it would indicate our contract has changed if there is now a known illness at the hotel. I haven't tried this with First Choice as I was hoping there would be an update here of someone who had recently visited and hopefully the sickness really has passed.

I'll keep you posted
I wonder when Mitchy is back as they went on the 25th July. That will probably be the most recent update.

Tinkerbell-two, how long are you going for?
Hi,

We are going out on 9th for one week so back on 16th.

I have had a reply from my contact at the hotel reception which states that the virus is over now 'or so we think' and that it only affected 2% of guests and most of the 1300 guests on site have had no problems.

Looking forward to some feedback from anyone who has recently returned.
  • Edited by David 2008-08-03 20:08:45
    Sorry, but personal correspondence should not be reproduced on the forums. Please feel free to summarise in your own words instead, excluding any personal names. Many thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.