Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I was just there 2 weeks ago and the fridge hire was €25 per week, not sure about safe deposit box cost though.
Fantastic hotel, a bit out of the way but I can't find any faults at all. The food is absolutely fantastic, especially the Portuguese Evening they have on a Friday night. Not a great choice of area if you want some "action", but a true class hotel with excellent staff. Some decent bars/cafes within 200 metres or so, but a car is highly recommended.
I've been there 3 times in 12 months and loved it and can't wait to go back, but sadly it will probably not be until later on in the year.

Robby :wink:
Hi rob, thanks for the reply, most useful, thought about hiring a car but have never driven on that side of the road before so a bit hesitant to hire one ( wanna get home in one piece) :) , we are on half board but is there any particular places near to hotel that you can recommend for drinking and eating, Did you feel it not required to have a safety deposit box in the room? tried to pm you but forum would not let me......cheers bryfly
Driving in the Algarve is a lot safer than the UK in my opinion, the roads, especially the motorways, are pretty quiet. Take your time with a car and you will feel the benefits.
Bars/restaurants/cafes are available, no problems, and a few are quite near the hotel within the shopping parade. A couple of Alisuper supermakets are in the same area. There is an English pub, "Trotters" nearby, but I only used the local ones, the main one being "Brothers Bar", which is one of the closest.
If you really don't want a car, there is a great regular bus service which I believe is very cheap and also a Travel shop which does trips around the area for around €5 return, which seemed very popular.
I would be very surprised if you need any food, especially a meal between breakfast and dinner as the food really is 1st class, a snack at the most would suffice. There is a cheapish Chinese restaraurant, what seems a great fish resaurant, and a few other restaurants and cafes etc. nearby.
What I loved about the hotel is the indoor pool and small Turkish steamroom, a great way to relax for an hour or so before "Happy Hour" (5-6 pm, every day except Thursday, which is the Managers Cocktail Party with free drinks and an introduction to the staff). Drinks prices in the hotel are pretty reasonable for a 4* Hotel and are only slightly dearer than some of the pubs, as expected.

Have a great stay, you will enjoy.

Addition: Sorry Bryfly, missed the bit about safe deposit boxes. I never ever felt in any danger of having any security problems at this hotel. If any problems did ever happen I believe it would have to come from the guests, and I can honestly say I can't see that happening. I use a Nationwide card and get my cash as I need it and carry it with me, so unless you are taking expensive jewellery I would say you won't need one, but if for peace of mind and you want all passports etc. to be extra secure then you can contact them here; falesia@falesia.com and ask them to give you the info. There will only be a smallish cost for a weeks hire.
  • Edited by robbyw 2008-02-18 11:25:07
Just to second what Robbie has already said about hiring a car. Been to Algarve 3 times and always hired a car for the full two weeks. It's very easy to drive out there. If you cant pm just put a question up. There is a car hire thread at the top of this forum if that's any help.
God, did I have problems inserting that email link :duh

Robby
Thanks for the update Rob, unfortunately we have more questions having never been there before, could keep you busy for the next couple of weeks :rofl ....for the time being 1) is there a ATM close to the hotel for using nationwide debit card?, 2) wife says "any sort of dress code for the restaurant" ?, 3) If we decided to hire car after we arrive, any recommendations? 4) does this hotel require a deposit from thomson guests on check in? :tup
Jesus, you don't mess about :tongue

1: There are several ATM's at the shops and outside the supermarkets - no problems.
2: No dress code, but no shorts for men. A class hotel, but nice and relaxed - no Airs or Graces.
3: I normally hire from the airport, but you can hire locally and of course more expensively from the reps!! I will send you a link in the next few days giving a recommendation. Contact them and ask if you can pick up/drop off from the hotel.

.....................and finally,

4: No deposit is required on check-in, no problems.

Anything else :rofl

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.