General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
There is always the danger that someone may gain access to your accommodation no matter what security is in place.

Should you be in the unfortunate position of someone gaining access and you lost items then the insurance company position would be, did you take all reasonable steps to secure your valuables?

If you had placed these in a safety deposit box then the answer would be yes and you should not have any problems submitting a claim. If you had decided not to pay the fee and so had not availed yourself of a basic security facility then they could take the attitude that by not doing they had no liability.

Just like someone bumps your car but you claim via your insurance and they would seek to recover their losses from the hotel insurers. You would not be covered for any excess and would need to try to recover that yourself.

As the hotel is a sub contractor to the TO with whom you booked you would claim against them.

Earlier this year when we toured in Spain each hotel room had a safe that was free. We paid an activation fee but that was refunded on check out. It is a nice little earner for the hotel but I do feel that it could be included in the price of the holiday.

The hassle should your passport, money or credit cards go are just not worth taking a chance and we always use it.

fwhgo
Hi shazago - just a word of caution. Approx. 7 years ago we went on holiday to Ichmelar - staying in a well established hotel. A lovey family from Birmingham were in adjoining rooms and had both of their safes broken into and everything taken. Unfortunately they had taken all of their spending money in the form of cash. No only were neither the hotel personal or the police interested, but they suggested that the family themselves were involved in the break in. We felt so sad for them, as they were clearly not very well off, so took a risk and lent them £200 - which they promptly sent back to us on their return to the UK. They still keep in contact with us. :) Jenny x
Best check your insurance policy. Our annual policy covers theft from safety deposit boxes or from our locked accommodation.

I have heard of several instances where items have been stolen from the safe with no signs of forced entry and this also happened at a hotel we were staying at in Cambrils.

luci :wave
Thanks for the replys ,

yes ive had a look at our insurance policy and it states that we are covered if our money is in a safety deposit box, but we are undecided whether to take sterling travelers cheques or cash , obviously if we take cash and it is broken into we will be left with no cash for the rest of our hols :( , and the downside with the cheques is we have to pay a fee for getting them, don't know what to do for the best :que
Hi again shazajo, have you considered using credit/debit card to withdraw cash on your holiday? We live in Tunisia for the 6 winter months and always use our cards - just taking a couple of hundred in cash in case of problems, but we have never experienced any. It is worth making the point that if you apply for a Nationwide debit card, there is no fee for cash withdrawals abroad. There are usually ATM in holiday areas and some of the bigger hotels. All best - Jenny x
What about if there's no safety deposit box for you to use
How would one stand with regards the insurance company then?
Milly-Molly

that's a good question, but I know we have one in our hotel as our friends came back from them last month and they told us they were in reception, point is she said they have some in full view of reception and some out of view that's what i'm vary of,but husband says he will ask and see if there is any in view of reception and if there is we will hire one and if not , well looks like we will be carrying about with us but I don't like the idea of that neither, I think i'm just worrying too much, I never used to worry too much about things but I think the older you get the more you worry :think

I think I will just see what happens when we get there as I don't really want to buy any travelers cheques just yet as i'm hoping the euro will improve a bit more
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.