Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I think everyone has found your question rather daunting, I certainly did!
But as no-one has answered, I'll have a go..........

To recommend a good hotel at "a very good rate" is impossible this far ahead. Completely impossible. At this stage every "good" hotel will be hoping next season will be busy and that they will not have to be offering very good rates.

Added to this, you are including in your added stay Christmas and New Year, absolute peak period here, even in a bad season. You really are looking for miracles here?

Having said all that the feeling here is that next season will probably be a total disaster in terms of numbers, both Indians and foreigners, so on the spot bargaining should be do-able. What you need to do is start looking for somewhere for that extra month as soon as you arrive. Immediately. Do not leave it for later.

When you do this, the indications of how the season is going will be there, so you can bargain accordingly. Why a hotel? There are thousands of nice little apartments for rent all over, and at a fraction of hotel prices. If you need pool usage etc, talk to the hotel where you are staying for the first month and do a deal (something like 1-200 rupees a day for both of you) to use their pool, bar etc and then find an apartment in easy walking distance. I think apartments will be even emptier than hotels!

the only real problem you have is the Christmas period, you may have to accept paying extra for that one week, but only that week, with a realistic figure for the remainder. How much will you pay? Goodness knows! If its as dead as we all expect, it could be very cheap. Hotels "declared Prices" as opposed to what the charge the Charter Companies, are absolutely ridiculous and your bargaining needs to start very low, like less than half! Apartments, based on a one month stay, anything from Rs500 up. Depending on size, position, quality etc, and of course your budget and bargaining abilities.

Your flight back. Assuming you are arriving on a charter, your best bet is to try to buy the return leg from them. Only people arriving on a charter can legally do that. This year the figure was between £200-250 it would appear. This year a one way scheduled, via Bombay or Bangalore was £200 - £300 ish.
At the risk of repeating myself, it all depends on market conditions in 9 months time really.
:tup thanks for that johnny five i did mean to put appartments and guesthouses down but just slipped my mind at the time as i am on me own i dont really want to pay more than say 300 pounds for another month at hotel appartment guesthouse and no more than 300 pounds for flight back does that sound realitic :tup
Sorry Ovey, made the assumption that you were a couple!
Yes, I think those figures are quite realistic. For the accommodation one to work, assuming you get "hit" for the Christmas week, you may have to be a bit frugal with your choice of hotel/apartment?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.