General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
don't discount Greece,Spain and Portugal,they all are very child friendly, daughter went to north africa with granddaughter a few years back [granddaughter was a little younger] but did not feel at ease with the amount of attention our granddaughter was getting.

yasus
wizard
Thank you for your reply, would we be guaranteed weather in Spain? It's one of those countries I hear to be a bit hit and miss with the weather. I have looked at Greece and Portugal but seem very expensive for that time of year :(
Thank you for your reply, where in Spain would you recommend and would we be guaranteed the weather a few people have said how the weather is hit and miss in Spain :que

I have looked at both Greece and Portugal but both seem very expensive for June.
As Wizard has said, only you can decide how comfortable you will feel with people turning their attention to your daughter but in my experience this is because Tunisian people are very child-centred and child-friendly. They make a fuss of children rather than ignoring them and this can seem strange to those of us coming from cultures where we tend to ignore other people's children.

This is not unique to north Africa - it happens in many countries where children are at the centre of life. It's a long story so won't bother going into the details but only recent trip to Cuba my friend and I ended up babysitting the young child of one of the dancers for around an hour by the side of a hotel pool. He was about the same age as your daughter and whilst he was clearly curious and a bit puzzled, 'Who are these women?' was written all over his face, he wasn't at all distressed because he was so obviously used to people he didn't know playing games with him and picking him and cuddling him etc. I cannot imagine many children of that age here being so relaxed about the whole thing because it is extremely unlikely that parents would hand them over in this way. We knew Dad well and of course he trusted us but, however well I know parents here, I've never been left in sole charge by them of a child I've never met before. So if you are feeling uneasy about the idea of your daughter attracting attention, perhaps as Wizard suggests, you shouldn't discount places like Greece, Spain and Portugal which are all more used to the expectations of British visitors.

I don't do AI holidays so have no idea about what your budget will get you but June will fall between the school half-term and summer holidays so there should be some bargains around with a bit of searching. I guess that one of the attractions of Turkey and North Africa is that decent hotels etc tend to be cheaper than comparable hotels in Europe but perhaps you should consider just how much time you will spend outside of the hotel if you are going AI? Staff within a large AI hotel in Tunisia, Turkey or Egypt are going to be used to UK visitors and will have picked up on what parents' attitudes are towards them being familiar with the children etc. It's some years since I last visited Tunisia but I never felt unsafe away from the hotels and posts here from recent regular visitors to the area have not led me to think that that has changed. Browse the relevant forums for yourself to get a feel for what regular visitors to all three of your original possible destinations have to say about them and perhaps ask the specific question in each of them?

SM
In terms of Spain and good weather we went to Mojacar in southern Spain the first two weeks of May when our Daughter was 18 months and the weather was ideal hot enough but without worrying constantly about her burning. In fairness the Costa Almeria is probably one of the hottest parts of Spain and should be fine in June, but as with everywhere I suppose you can get unlucky. I personally think the weather in the Algarve is more unreliable early on the season than southern Spain.
when looking at Spain early in the season avoid the north coast as this is on the bay of Biscay and the weather is much as ours [but a bit warmer] any where from he Costa tropical going east [Almera,Costa Brava Costa Valencia , Costa Dorado etc] the weather is usually more reliable
If you are tight on budget then may i suggest you consider Salou and for those on a tight budget i would suggest you consider one of the Best hotel group we had a family holiday in one of their 3 star hotels in 2010 and for the price brilliant value but do try and get flights to Ruse as its a very long transfer from Barcelona

if you considder Greece there are some good deals to both Zakynthos [zante] and Corfu at the moment

whatever you choose make sure you research the hotel thoroughly

yasus
wizard
Thank you all, I shall keep scouring the internet to hopefully find a good deal :)
Doubt if you'll get much for £1400 for 2 weeks AI for all 3 of you, the better hotels are that much per person. !
Menorca is extremely child friendly. We've been a couple of times in the past and it's always tends to be either young families or older couples.
The best deal I have found is 2 weeks AI in Egypt mid June.

Has anyone travelled with a 12 - 18 month old to Egypt at this time of year if shes plastered in sun cream and in a UV suit and UV tent will she be ok with the heat :que

Thank you :cheers
Hi there, I don't want to be a grump but I think Egypt in June will be mighty hot for a toddler that has just found its feet and will be wanting to run around everywhere. Personally I think Spain, Majorca or Minorca are all fine weather wise in June .It should be hot enough to enjoy the pools and you can wander around the areas quite safely.
Also thinking flights to Egypt are 5+ hours with no legroom and a toddler on your lap will have you screaming. Good luck with your holiday search and I hope you find something that fits your requirements.
I've searched for somewhere in Spain but its soooo expensive can't believe a few years ago you could go away for 2 weeks AL in 4 and 5 star hotels for just over a grand can't even get a 3 star for that now it's ridiculous :-(((
Depending where you can fly from and your exact date it can just about be done to Menorca. There's one to Almirante Farragut Hotel in Cala'N Forcat, Menorca departing Luton on Wed 12th June AI, 2 weeks for £1,347 that's with First Choice.
How about the canaries ? very child friendly, a good supply of "spares" if you forget or run out of anything , a nice breeze that keeps the heat down and usually some good buggy walking spots for a late afternoon stroll.
we have been regular visitors to Tunisia for the past 8 or 9 years now, and can honestly say the tunisias are fantastic and very child friendly, we always venture out and about when we are there, although it was our 1st time going on the train last year, which we had no problems with :-)
Good luck in your search.
salou we taking our 2 year old there this june on her 1st holiday, i been efore and loved it.. its family frinedly with lots to do
tell me where u wanna fly from and what date i will look for you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.