Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi,
Etihad are wonderful, we have flown with them a few times, Very good inflight entertainment, good leg room and verey good food.
Alot of people recommend the Nationwide flexi account for withdrawing money from A.T.M.s in Goa, evidently very good rates and no commission, (we are opening one before we go.)
We find the longer we stay the less we spend as we get lazy and don't do alot but difficult to say how much spends you need as everyone is different!
Whatever you would take for 2 weeks just double it :tup
Thanks - I have just filled the application for the Nationwide Flexi.
I am getting sooooooooooo excited just looking at the site - even though this is the 5th time out (never been away for so long and never over xmas and new year) :rofl
Are you stopping in Mumbai on the way?
We are stopping in Dubia for 4 days then flying onto Mumbia. I believe we have to stay overnight because we land too late to catch the last flight out to Goa. Got to see the travel agent end of august to book flight and hotel. It is an Indian travel agent and he won't book yet because he says the prices are too high.
All over this site I tell everybody to get a Nationwide Flex - good on you. If there are 2 of you get a card each just incase but never had a problem with it over the many years we had them.
Hi Carolmillington,
don't leave it too long before booking an hotel in Mumbai especially when it is close to xmas. We couldn't get some hotels we liked the look of, at the beginning of december even though we were trying to book them 2 months ago.
Hi carolmillington we are also flying out for 4 weeks for xmas and new year, flying with Etihad as well, glad to hear they are good, staying in an appartment in the south, we booked our hotel in febuary for mumbai and even then it took a long time to find one that had any rooms left, so if i was you i would not leave it to much longer. Like you cant wait, have a great time. :cheers
Hi Greeneyed Lady
Which airport are you goping from and on what date? we fly out on the 5th and I've decided I will go and see my little friend this weekend and get him to book hotel. Other than that it may well be the airport floor :(
I have lived in Goa for 5 years now.. I agree that a Flex account is the way to go, that's what I use out here all year, it's great. Just like using it in the UK, but yu just get Rupees instead of £'s

A good tip is to bring a four way adapter from the UK then you just need one Indian adapter and then you can plug your ipod, amplifier, phone etc easy peasy!

Spending money is very dependant on the individual, many people spend hundreds, whereas you can spend so little each day and still have great food and see all the sites... A few pointers....

Just jump on a bus and go somewhere, very cheap, buses to Panjim and Mapusa are very common, and then you can then get buses from their main stations to all the villages - just ask a few people. worst case if you're lost get a taxi back...

Eat in the more local places, one of the downsides is they very rarely have menus, you're just expected to know.. But if they give you a list and pick one... Good way to try new (good) food.

Don't hang around Calangute / Candolim / Baga... be adventurous! There are so many more great beaches

You could also get the train from Mumbai down to Goa... Quite a long trip (10+ hours) but a great way to save money and to see the countryside (if it's a day train). - I think it'll leave around 7 am or the night train leaves around 11pm (best check the times).

Hope this helps
Hi Carolmillington we leave heathrow on the 19th December and arrive in goa on the 21st, staying till 17th january, staying in the south, hope you get a hotel booked with no problems. please let me know. :cheers
Just a thought about the train from Mumbai down to Goa it needs to be booked well in advance, especially at that time of year. It is good fun though and yes it leaves at 7am (or is supposed to but doesn't usually go till about 8) We usually bring a plug board from UK and chop the UK plug off and put on an Indian one. Another thing we always brought was a travel kettle as there is not usually any kind of kettle in Indian apartments and using a saucepan is is not ideal when staying for a month.
Hi narial is it better to bring a travel kettle with us or buy one when we arrive, also staying for a month and dont fancy using a saucepan for that amount of time. many thanks
Hi Greeneyed Lady

We've been to our Indian Travel agent this morning - looks like he is having trouble - he has phoned a counterpart in India to book from that end, says I will deff. not have to sleep on floor of airport. He hasn't let us down so far (but there is always a first time). If we have to stay in a 5* so be it.He is also arranging a trip to the Taj and Deli for us - any tips on dress etc. (would hate to upset anyone)
we travel from Manchester on 5th Dec back on 7 Jan. We are staying in a private apartment on top of an english owned house near Apora. Deff. not be going to Bagga Beach etc. though. It may be a bit away from the hustle and bustle but we don't mind that. the last 3 years we have stayed at the Marriott so that's not near a "beach" as such either. but I always say I am not going all that way just to lie on a beach or by a pool all day like to get out and about. :cheers
Hi Carolmillington
I hope you have good luck in finding an hotel. never been to see the taj or deli so cant help with dress :que , i am sure someone on here will help you , i know a lot of hters have been. Flying from heathrow and staying in an appartment in Betalbatim only drove through there never stayed before but i am sure it wll be great, my daughter and her friend are staying for the first two weeks. Have a lovely holiday. :cheers
You can buy a smallish kettle for about 900rps (about £11) but we bought one in UK years ago and never go anywhere without it. We tend to travel around in India and ours is small enough to put in hand luggage without taking up too much room.
Electric kettles are common now in Indian electrical shops but only foreigners seem to buy them - we have never had one in a rented apartment.
Hi narial thanks very much for the info, will have a look around here in the uk for one. we always took one with us years ago but got out of the habit. :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.